Restoration of the 20-foot oak water wheel at Colvin Run Mill is nearing completion. County Park Authority carpenters Jim Beatty and Al Casto have spent weeks assembling the pieces of the water wheel so the gears will be turning and stones grinding this spring. An official unveiling ceremony is planned in early June.
Colvin Run Mill, built in 1811 on land once owned by George Washington, was restored by the Park Authority from 1965 to 1972. The restoration included a new water wheel to power the mill machinery and grind stones, allowing flour and meal to be produced there.
That water wheel wore out, leading to the current project. Pieces used in the construction include a 125-year-old oak tree for the axle and oak boards for the water wheel rim and buckets.