Fathollah K. Mostofi


Fathollah K. Mostofi, 91, a leading expert in the field of genitourinary pathology who since 1948 had been chairman of the genitourinary pathology department at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, died of congestive heart failure April 6 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Dr. Mostofi had been chief of the World Health Organization's International Reference Center for Urological Tumors since 1965. He was secretary treasurer of the International Association of Medical Museums from 1954 to 1970, and in that capacity he developed the association into the International Academy of Pathology, an educational organization with 23 divisions worldwide.

In the 1950s, Dr. Mostofi played a pivotal role in the study of human factors in aircraft accidents, and he helped organize the first international symposium on this subject. He also helped organize the Joint Committee on Aviation Pathology, and was its secretary from 1954 to 1960.

A native of Tehran, he immigrated to the United States in 1931 and was a resident of Chevy Chase. He graduated from the University of Nebraska and Harvard Medical School, did a medical internship at St. Luke's Hospital in Bethlehem, Pa., and pathology residencies at Peter Bent Brigham and Children's hospitals in Boston. From 1944 to 1947, he was an Army pathologist. He was later a colonel in the Army Reserve, retiring in 1971.

He had a fellowship at the National Cancer Institute in 1947 and 1948 prior to joining the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology.

Dr. Mostofi had been an adviser or consultant to the International Agency for Cancer Research, the International Union Against Cancer and the Pan American Health Organization. He was author or co-author of 200 articles and 15 books on genitourinary pathology.

His awards included the Gold Medal of the International Academy of Pathology, the Presidential Honor Award from the American Urological Association and the Presidential Award of the American Foundation for Urological Disease.

His wife, Dorothy Krock Mostofi, died in 1994.

Survivors include a son, Keith Mostofi of Arlington; and a grandson.

William M. Long

Air Force Colonel

William Maurice Long, 83, an Air Force colonel who spent three years as military attache to Turkey before returning to Washington just prior to retiring in 1973, died March 24 at Walter Reed Army Medical Hospital. He had cancer.

Mr. Long, of Alexandria, joined the Army Air Corps in 1940 and served as an Army Air Force bomber pilot in Europe during World War II.

During the war, he also flew P-51 Mustang fighter aircraft and, according to an Associated Press dispatch from April 1945, was credited with shooting down three German ME-109s over Germany after becoming separated from his squadron.

His decorations included the Legion of Merit, two awards of the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal.

He was a native of Wichita, Kan., and a 1962 economics graduate of the University of Maryland.

His memberships included All Saints-Sharon Chapel Episcopal Church in Alexandria and the U.S. Air Force Retired Officers Association.

He did volunteer work for the American Cancer Society and the Military Affiliate Radio System (MARS), which used a network of ham-radio operators to relay messages between servicemen and their families.

His hobbies included hunting and fishing.

His first wife, Gloria Foley Long, whom he married in 1941, died in 1996.

Survivors include his wife, Janet King Long, whom he married in 1996, of Alexandria; a daughter from his first marriage, Margaret Ann Ward of Fredericksburg; four stepsons; one brother; nine grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Jean Davey Carlin

Conference Manager

Jean Davey Carlin, 86, a conference manager for the National Association of Home Builders from the early 1960s to the early 1970s, died April 7 at St. Agnes Hospital in Baltimore. She had an abdominal aneurysm.

Mrs. Carlin was born in London, and served during World War II as a radio operator in the coastal command of the Royal Air Force.

After the war, she lived in New York and Connecticut and became a U.S. citizen. She settled in the Washington area in 1961, moved to Florida in 1985 and returned to this area last year.

She lived at the Charlestown retirement community in Catonsville, Md. Her hobbies included growing African violets.

Her husband of 61 years, retired Navy Lt. Cmdr. John N. Carlin, died in 2001.

Survivors include three sons, John M. Carlin of Washington and Brian D. Carlin and Kevin C. Carlin, both of Severna Park.

Rocco Victor Vittucci

Navy Department Mechanical Engineer

Rocco Victor Vittucci, 89, a civilian Navy Department mechanical engineer who retired from Naval Sea Systems Command doing management work on research and development programs, died April 8 at his home in Washington. He had cancer.

Mr. Vittucci, known as Victor, joined the Navy Department in 1941 and over the years did research and development work for the Bureau of Ships and the chief of the Naval Materiel Command. He worked on early prototypes of nuclear-powered ships and hydrofoil craft and air-cushion vehicles.

He also wrote technical articles for engineering journals.

He was a native of Utica, N.Y., and a graduate of Cornell University, where he also received a master's degree in mechanical engineering.

At Cornell, he played brass and percussion instruments in the marching band and later in life played with the American Recorder Society.

He was a member of the Tau Beta Pi engineering honor society and a founding member of the Catholic Church of the Annunciation in Washington. At the church, he was a lector, served on the parish council, sang in the choir and participated in scripture study groups.

His avocations included genealogy. He wrote a book about his family, "Salt of the Earth: The Vito Perretta Family Tree."

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Pearl Kinney Vittucci, and two sons, Peter and Paul, all of Washington; and two brothers.

William R. 'Dick' Price


William R. "Dick" Price, 92, a steamfitter who worked on the heating and cooling systems of U.S. Capitol buildings for 45 years, died of cancer April 8 at Montgomery General Hospital. He lived in the Colesville area of Silver Spring.

Mr. Price was born in Kensington. He was a graduate of Rockville High School. He began working for the office of the architect of the Capitol before World War II. He served in the Army in Europe during the war, participating in the D-Day invasion at Omaha Beach. He retired from the Capitol in the 1970s.

Mr. Price was a Boy Scout leader and Little League baseball coach. He was a member of Colesville United Methodist Church and the American Legion.

His wife of 50 years, Louise Valdenar Price, died in 1992.

Survivors include two sons, David J. Price of Annapolis and Richard E. Price of Montgomery Village; and a brother, John E. Price of Fairfax.

Patrick Arthur Wilkins

Army Mess Officer

Patrick Arthur Wilkins, 59, a former chief of the officers' mess at the Pentagon, died March 13 at his home in Lehigh Acres, Fla. The Lee County medical examiner's office said his death was a shooting suicide. Mr. Wilkins, a former resident of Chantilly, was an Army chief warrant officer who served at the Pentagon from 1982 until retiring in 1997. He moved to Florida in 1998.

He was born in Rising Sun, Md., and served 36 years in the Army, including two tours of duty in Vietnam. He lived in Silver Spring for two years during the 1970s.

His marriage to Monica Wilkins ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Glenda Wilkins of Lehigh Acres; two children from his first marriage, Carol Dingee of Osseo, Mich., and Shirley Wilkins of Manassas; his mother, Maxine Wilkins of Chesapeake, Md.; and three grandchildren.