(Numbers in parentheses correspond to location numbers in Location Key.)
CIVISTA HEALTH FOUNDATION
5K RUN/WALK FOR WELLNESS
Competitive runners, walkers and family walkers will enjoy a moderate 5K (3.1-mile) course that winds through historic La Plata around Civista Medical Center (7). Registration, 8:30 a.m.; race, 9 a.m. April 26. Participants receive a T-shirt. Register by today, $15; $20 after today. Fee is a donation to Civista Health Foundation. For more information, call 301-609-4132.
SOUTHERN MARYLAND MEDBANK
The Southern Maryland Medbank program provides access to free prescription medications for people without insurance coverage and who meet income limits. If you live in Calvert, Charles, St. Mary's or Anne Arundel counties and need help paying for medications, call to see if you are eligible. 866-633-2265.
COLON CANCER SCREENINGS
The Calvert County Health Department offers a colon cancer screening, education and treatment program. If you are uninsured, not sure if insurance will cover this type of screening or just need information, call 410-535-5400 or 301-855-1353, Ext. 342.
Calvert Memorial Hospital invites you to meet with a certified fitness trainer to test your current fitness level. Tests evaluate muscle strength and endurance, flexibility, aerobic capacity and body composition. $45. Call for an appointment, 410-535-8245 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8245.
BLOOD PRESSURE AND
* Civista Medical Center (7) offers free screenings, 1-3 p.m. the first and third Mondays of each month in the lobby. Also, 8:30-10 a.m. Monday and the second Monday of every month at Civista Health at Bryans Road (6). Reservations not required.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital's KeepWell Center (3) offers free screenings, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month. No appointment needed. 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
WOMEN'S CANCER HEALTH
Stop by the Leonardtown Library 7-8 p.m. April 22 for information on breast and cervical cancer. Learn the steps of performing thorough breast self-exams and practice detecting lumps in breast models.
* Mall Walkers, sponsored by Southern Maryland Hospital Center (14), invites participants of all ages to join all-weather walking, 8-10 a.m. Monday-Friday at St. Charles Towne Center Food Court in Waldorf. Free blood pressure monitoring. Call 301-877-5700.
* Charles County Walkers meets monthly at various locations in the county. Call for locations and dates of walks. Increase physical activity and improve fitness, earn patches and prizes as you log miles. Required membership fee, $15. Walk held weather permitting. Call 888-332-4847 for location.
St. Mary's Hospital (12) sponsors a program for those coping with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema and chronic bronchitis. The group is facilitated by a registered respiratory therapist. April's program addresses how stress and exercise influence pulmonary disease, and May's program addresses the needs of individuals with asthma and COPD or other pulmonary diseases. 6-7 p.m. Wednesday. Free. Call 301-475-6019 for more information.
DIABETES MANAGEMENT PROGRAMS
* An educational program structured around two group classes and two individual sessions. The group classes are designed to enhance general knowledge of diabetes and focus on the American Diabetes Association's self-management curriculum. The individual sessions cover medical nutritional concepts, blood glucose self-monitoring and insulin preparation and administration. Civista Women's Health Center (8). Monthly fee. Call 301-609-5200 for information, registration and to discuss insurance coverage.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers a program designed to enhance knowledge of diabetes and teach skills to help manage it. Focuses on medication, insulin, self-monitoring, control and response to complications. Physician referral required. Cost may be covered by insurance. Call 410-535-8176 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8176.
* St. Mary's Hospital (12) is offering new classes on comprehensive, compassionate diabetes self-management. Call for class dates and times, 301-475-6019.
* Health Partners Primary Care Center, 3070 Crain Hwy., Waldorf offers a class 7-9 p.m. Tuesdays, May 6-27, or 1-3 p.m. Thursdays, May 1-22. $5. Call Carol Wright, 301-870-7816 or 301-705-7870, Ext. 3007, or register online at www.udoithealthcare.org.
MASSAGE FOR COUPLES
Designed for those who want to learn technique and practice body massage. Massage techniques, guidance for proper body mechanics, centering prior to massage. 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. May 3, Civista Women's Health Center (8). $60 per couple. Reservation and prepayment required. 888-332-4847.
CHOOSE TO LOSE
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers an eating program with Ron and Nancy Goor's "fat budget" system. Sample foods from their Eater's Choice Low-Fat Cookbook. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233, for cost and dates.
STRENGTH TRAINING FOR WOMEN
An ongoing class for women only includes 45 minutes of exercise designed to strengthen and tone muscles and increase flexibility. Participants use dumbbells, resistance bands and other exercise equipment. 5-5:45 p.m. Mondays or 6:45-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays or Thursdays, Civista Women's Health Center (8). Four sessions, $30; one session, $8.
FREEDOM FROM SMOKING
The American Lung Association and Civista Medical Center (7) offer a seven-session course to enable smokers to quit smoking for good. $40. Call for class dates.
HERBAL OPTIONS FOR MENOPAUSE
This two-session class will explain the herbal choices available and help you make an informed decision about what therapy best suits your needs. Plants high in phytoestrogens and other supportive herbs will be discussed. Dietary choices will also be covered, Civista Women's Health Center (8), 7- 8:30 p.m. Mondays, May 12 and 19. $25.
* An ongoing class designed to teach participants relaxation, flexibility and strengthening techniques through various yoga positions and practices. Instructor is Mary Todd, exercise physiologist. 8-8:45 p.m. Tuesdays, 9-9:45 a.m. Wednesdays and 8-8:45 p.m. Thursdays. Civista Women's Health Center (8). Four sessions, $30; one session, $8. Payment due at first class.
* Learn basic yoga postures, conscious relaxation, breathing techniques and meditation in a step-by-step progression, sponsored by Calvert Memorial Hospital. Postures are adapted for the needs of the individual. 9:15-10:30 a.m. or 10:45 a.m.-noon Mondays, Dunkirk Medical Center (9), $56; 5:30-6:45 p.m. Mondays, April 14-June 16 (no class May 26); or 7-8:15 p.m. Wednesdays, April 16-June 11, at Solomons Medical Center (13), $65. To register, call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital offers Hatha Yoga for experienced students. Must be physically fit. 7-8:15 p.m. Mondays, April 14-June 16 (no class May 26), or 5:30-6:45 p.m. Wednesdays, April 16-June 11, at Solomons Medical Center (13), $65.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital offers individual private yoga instruction at Dunkirk Medical Center (9), $50 per one-hour session. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
St. Mary's Hospital (12) offers this traditional Chinese exercise class for overall health, stress management and improved vitality, 5-6 p.m. Tuesdays, through May 6. Fee involved.
IS ACUPUNCTURE FOR YOU?
Chinese and Western medicine are different and they complement each other. Learn in this hour session how an ancient modality addresses modern concerns and is effective in a wide range of complaints. 7-8 p.m., May 7, Civista Women's Health Center (8). $5. 888-332-4847.
THE TRAGER APPROACH
Trager Bodywork uses gentle rocking and stretching movements to put the body and mind into a profound state of relaxation. Learn simple exercises to maintain softness and range of motion after your session. Clients remain fully clothed. 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. the first Thursday of each month at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3), and 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. the first Tuesday of each month at Solomons Medical Center (13). 30-minute session, $25; one-hour session, $50.
SEATED MASSAGE THERAPY
* Calvert Memorial Hospital offers seated therapeutic massage. 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. the second and fourth Thursdays of each month (except holidays) at Dunkirk Medical Center (9); the first and third Tuesdays of each month at Solomons Medical Center (13); and the first and third Thursdays of each month at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). 15-minute neck, back and shoulder massage, $13; a 30-minute session, $26. Appointments required. 410-286-7992.
* St. Mary's Hospital (12) offers seated massage. 2-5 p.m. the second Friday of each month. Fee charged. Call 301-475-6019 to make an appointment.
INTRODUCTION TO PAIN MANAGEMENT
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers a class on controlling chronic pain through relaxation techniques. Led by a registered nurse certified in biofeedback therapy. $100, includes a book, two relaxation tapes and a stress profile. Call 410-414-4507 for dates and times of classes.
INFANT BRAIN DEVELOPMENT
St. Mary's Hospital (12) offers this new addition to its parenting classes (Taking Care of Baby, Breastfeeding, Childbirth, Infant Safety and CPR, New Brothers and Sisters; call for times and dates); the class examines how parents can maximize their child's intellectual and emotional potential. Parents' interaction and response to their infant in the first nine months of life, sets the stage for a lifetime of learning. Learn how the brain develops during the first three years of life and how to be ready for each new stage of development. 6:30-8:30 p.m. April 24. Free. Call for registration.
To help children ages 2-8 prepare for a new baby in the family. 3-4 p.m. April 17 or May 11, Civista Medical Center (7). $5; free to moms who deliver at Civista. Registration required.
This class covers caring for and being comfortable with your baby, picking out a car seat and crib, baby-proofing a home, and infant and child CPR. Proper car seat installation will be demonstrated. If you already have a car seat, bring it with you. 9 a.m.-4 p.m. May 10, Civista Women's Health Center (8). $60; registration and prepayment required. It is recommended that this seven-hour class be taken early in a pregnancy for maximum comfort.
* A childbirth education class sponsored by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) includes labor and delivery preparation, relaxation and breathing techniques, medication options, C-section information, breast-feeding education and more. Saturday classes now available. $100. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233, for dates and times. Registration by the 20th week of pregnancy required.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers a class that includes labor and delivery preparation, relaxation and breathing techniques, medication options, cesarean section information, breast-feeding education and more. $100. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
* Civista Antenatal Testing Center (7) offers a four-evening class to prepare you and your support person for a safe and happy birthing experience, 6:30-9 p.m. Thursdays, May 8-19, at the center in La Plata, $75. A tour of the Family Birthing Center is included. Registration and prepayment required. 888-332-4847.
St. Mary's Hospital (12) offers a program designed to teach parents to calm children through massage. It is especially helpful for babies with colic. Fee involved. Call 301-475-6019 for dates and times and to register.
* Tour the Family Birthing Center in preparation for baby's birth. A question-and-answer period follows the tour. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Free. Call for times and registration at 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
* Tour the Family Birthing Center and visit the Newborn Nursery, Civista Medical Center (7), 6-7 p.m. May 12 or May 19. Registration required. 888-332-4847.
LA LECHE LEAGUE
La Leche League of Calvert County offers breast-feeding information and mother-to-mother support at monthly meetings on the second Friday of each month, St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 25 Church St., Prince Frederick. Call 410-586-3661.
The Alzheimer's Association of Greater Washington offers support groups in Southern Maryland:
* St. Mary's County: Garvey Senior Center, 301-475-4444.
* Calvert County: Calvert Pines Senior Center, 301-855-1170.
* Families learn how to handle different stages of Alzheimer's disease and share strategies for daily activities. 5-6 p.m. the second Thursday of each month, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (14). Free. Call 301-877-5700 to register.
* A new caregiver support group meets at 6:30 p.m. the first Wednesday of each month at Morningside House, 70 Village St., Waldorf. This group provides a forum for family members and caregivers to share information, concerns and feelings, and to support each other in coping with the changes Alzheimer's disease has brought to their lives. Sponsored by the Alzheimer's Association, National Capital Area Chapter. Free. For more information, call 800-331-7299.
The Calvert Memorial Hospital Amputee Group will meet 6-7:30 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month in the KeepWell Center (ground floor of the hospital). Free. 410-414-4670 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4670.
A group provides support and education for people of all ages who suffer from arthritis. Learn exercises that can ease pain. 10-11:30 a.m. the third Wednesday of each month, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (14) library. Free. Call 301-877-5700 to register.
A TIME TO HEAL
A support group offered by Calvert Hospice for those grieving the death of a spouse, 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesdays, June 4-July 16, 238 Merrimac Ct., Prince Frederick. Registration required. 410-535-0892 or 301-855-1226.
Calvert Memorial Hospital offers a better breathing support group, 2 p.m. the third Wednesday of each month at Calvert Pines Senior Center, Prince Frederick. For more information, call 410-535-8340 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8340.
This group meets 6:30-8 p.m. the first Tuesday and third Wednesday of each month (except holidays) at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). For more information, call 410-535-5467.
Calvert Hospice offers a support group for those experiencing pregnancy loss, 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesdays, through May 14, at the hospice office, 238 Merrimac Ct., Prince Frederick. Registration is required. Call 410-535-0892 or 301-855-1226.
Calvert Hospice sponsors a support group for anyone in Calvert County caring for a loved one or friend who is chronically ill, 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesdays, May 7-June 11. For location and registration, call 301-855-1226 or 410-535-0892.
* St. Mary's Hospital (12) and the American Cancer Society offer this group for cancer patients and their families and friends, 7-8:30 p.m. every other Wednesday. Employees from St. Mary's Hospital's Outpatient Infusion Service and social work department run the group. Snacks provided. Call 301-465-6070 to register.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4), Medical Office Building, offers a group for cancer patients, 5:30-7 p.m. the first and third Thursdays of each month. Free. Call Meghan Toffey, 410-414-4730 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4730.
* Civista Medical Center (7) sponsors a group for cardiac patients and family members, 7-8 p.m. the third Wednesday of each month (except holidays) in the cafeteria. Registration not required.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) sponsors a cardiac care support group. Call Jeanne Haas for dates, times and topics at 410-414-4572 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4572.
Sponsored by Calvert Memorial Hospital, this group meets 2-4 p.m. or 7-9 p.m. the third Thursday of each month at the hospital (3). Call the Diabetes Support Group Hotline, 410-414-4783.
"FRIENDS WHO CARE" BREAST CANCER
Meets 6:30 p.m. the first and third Tuesday of each month, Calvert Medical Office Building, Prince Frederick. Call Joyce Gradle, 410-326-4262.
PARKINSON'S SUPPORT GROUP
For families of people who have Parkinson's disease, this group meets 2-4 p.m. the fourth Saturday of each month in the Civista Medical Center (7) cafeteria. Registration not required.
-- Molli Yood
Programs and activities have been confirmed at the time of publication. However, changes or cancellations can occur, and anyone interested in a particular program can call the listed telephone numbers to check schedule changes.
Items are accepted on a space-available basis, from public and nonprofit organizations only, and must be received at least 14 days before the second Sunday of the month. Submit information to: Health Calendar, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646. Information also can be faxed to 301-934-1088. Include event name, dates and times, exact address, cost and a publishable contact phone number. For more information, call 301-934-3513.