Theresa M. Cirrincione

Adjunct Professor

Theresa M. Cirrincione, 68, who taught business and other subjects at Montgomery College over two decades and conducted field trips for area fossil and mineral organizations, died of a heart ailment June 27 at Suburban Hospital. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Cirrincione was a native of the District and a graduate of Central High School. She received a bachelor's degree with honors at Wilson Teacher's College, now part of the University of the District of Columbia. She was elected there to Phi Beta Kappa.

In the late 1950s, Mrs. Cirrincione taught business subjects at Bladensburg High School and secretarial skills and other subjects in the training department of the National Security Agency. At the three campuses of Montgomery College, where she was a member of the adjunct faculty from the early 1970s to the early 1990s, she taught business, computer science, math and English.

She was a newsletter editor for Montgomery County and Maryland state PTAs and wrote for mineral and fossil journals and newsletters. She was a member of organizations that included Eastern Federation of Mineralogical Societies and the American Fossil Federation. She was field trip coordinator for half a dozen local fossil and mineral groups.

Survivors include her husband of 44 years, Rosario Cirrincione of Washington; three children, Resa Schaffer of Wentworth, N.H., Joseph Cirrincione of Kensington and Toni Marie Church of Silver Spring; three sisters, Mary Mattie of North Haven, Conn., Frances Hartman of Manassas and Norma Derickson of Woodbridge; a brother, Joseph Colaizzi of Morristown, Tenn.; and two granddaughters.

Walter Herbert Nicholson

Foreign Service Officer

Walter Herbert Nicholson, 82, a retired Foreign Service officer who worked abroad on the Food for Peace program of the Agency for International Development, died of lung cancer June 3 at Casey House hospice in Rockville. He lived in Silver Spring.

Mr. Nicholson owned a Speedy Printing center in Wheaton after he retired in 1980.

He was a native of Montana and a graduate of San Francisco State University. He served in the Army Signal Corps in the Pacific during World War II. He did oil company personnel work in Saudi Arabia before joining the State Department in 1958.

His postings included Tunisia, Morocco, Laos, the Philippines, Senegal, Haiti and Ivory Coast.

He was a member of the Aspen Hill Club and the American Legion.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Mildred Fleming Nicholson of Silver Spring; two brothers; and two sisters.

Robert G. Johnson


Robert G. Johnson, 83, a nuclear and fossil fuel power plant engineer who had worked for various companies in the United States and Saudi Arabia, died June 2 at Collingswood Nursing Home in Rockville. He had pneumonia and heart disease.

Mr. Johnson, who most recently lived in Germantown, was born in Marinette, Wis. He served in the Army Air Forces in North Africa during World War II. He graduated from Michigan College of Mining and Technology.

In his professional career, Mr. Johnson worked in Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Georgia, Florida, California and Saudi Arabia for such companies as Wisconsin Power and Light, Gilbert/Commonwealth, Ebasco Services, Parsons Corp., Reynolds Smith and Hills Inc., Acres American and Catalytic-Kuljian.

From 1965 to 1972, he worked in this area for Bechtel Corp. He was here again from 1978 to 1981 for Acres American. After a brief period in Saudi Arabia in 1981, he retired on disability because of heart disease and returned to the Washington area.

He was a member of Covenant United Methodist Church in Montgomery Village.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Marjorie Hansen Johnson of Germantown; three children, Judy Kontaxis of Gaithersburg, Bonnie Duvall of Germantown and Douglas Johnson of Atascadero, Calif.; and seven grandchildren.

Patrick James Head


Patrick James Head, 70, a former Washington resident who graduated from Gonzaga College High School, Georgetown University and its law school, died of prostate cancer June 23 at home in Chicago.

Mr. Head was born in Randolph, Neb. He grew up in Washington. Early in his legal career, he was an associate in the Washington law firm of Ingoldsby Coles & Wright. In 1961, he moved to Chicago as general counsel for the Midwestern Territory of Sears Roebuck & Co. In the 1970s, he was back in this area as international counsel for Sears. Later he was vice president and general counsel of Montgomery Ward, supervising its federal government operations center. He also chaired the government affairs committee of the American Retail Federation.

From 1981 to 1997, he was vice president and general counsel in Chicago with FMC, a food and machinery conglomerate. Since then he had been affiliated with Williams & Montgomery, a Chicago-based law firm.

Survivors include his wife of 43 years, Eleanor Head of Chicago; nine children; and eight grandchildren.

William A. Koier

Construction Business President

William Arthur Koier, 83, president of the Haven Construction Corp., a residential and commercial building firm, died June 26 at his home in Rockville. He had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Mr. Koier was born in New York and raised in Missouri. He was a cum laude graduate of Central Missouri State University and did graduate work in economics at the University of Missouri at Kansas City.

He came to the Washington area in 1941 and did personnel work for the War Department and then for the White House during President Harry S. Truman's administration.

He had also started a fence construction business during the post-World War II housing boom. He left government service in 1950 to start a construction company.

He was a founding director of Eagle Bancorp, the holding company of Bethesda-based EagleBank. He was a former director of Allegiance Banc Corp. and Central National Bank of Maryland.

He was a past president of the Wheaton Lions Club and former governor of a Lions International district including Montgomery and Prince George's counties and Southern Maryland. He was a founding director of that district's eye bank. He also was a member of Manor Country Club in Rockville.

His marriage to Virginia Koier ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 25 years, June Broadhurst Koier of Rockville; two stepchildren, James Tereshuk of Silver Spring and Cheryl Tobin of Walkersville; and three granddaughters.

Susan Stoddard Sforza


Susan Stoddard Sforza, 85, a dietitian who lived in Alexandria, died June 9 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. She had Parkinson's disease.

She was a native of Peacham, Vt., and a graduate of Green Mountain College and the University of New Hampshire. Prior to World War II, she joined the staff of Lenox Hill Hospital in New York, where she became chief dietitian. She was later chief dietitian for the executive dining room operations of the New York Port Authority.

After accompanying her husband to Army civilian assignments across the United States, she moved to Northern Virginia in 1979. She worked briefly as a dietitian at National Orthopedic Hospital.

Mrs. Sforza was a guide and research aide at the Alexandria Library's Lloyd House, a depository of books and manuscripts detailing the history and genealogy of the region.

She volunteered in Northern Virginia with the League of Women Voters, American Lung Association, WETA-TV, Gray Panthers and other organizations. She was a member of the American Dietetic Association, University of New Hampshire Alumni Association and Sons of Italy.

Survivors include her husband of 52 years, Richard Sforza of Alexandria; two children, Nancy Rosenberg of Alexandria and Alan Sforza of Toms River, N.J.; a brother; and two grandsons.

A son, Richard Sforza, died in infancy in 1953.

Maynard Delafield Price

Washington Post Printer

Maynard Delafield Price, 74, a printer who retired from The Washington Post in 2000, died of congestive heart failure June 24 at Southern Maryland Hospital Center. He lived in Upper Marlboro.

Mr. Price was a native of Charlestown, W.Va., and a graduate of West Virginia State University, where he taught printing. He served in the Army during the Korean War.

He worked for the General and Guide newspaper in the Norfolk area before joining The Post in 1968. He also was a print shop instructor at Taft Junior High School in the early 1970s.

His interests included car mechanics.

He was a member of the Columbia Typographical Union and the Masons.

His marriage to Barbara Price ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 34 years, Voncile Price of Upper Marlboro; five children from his first marriage, Lynn Warren of Chesapeake, Va., Joann Williams and Walter Price, both of Richmond, Maynard Price Jr. of Virginia Beach and Tomesha Harrison of Little Rock; three stepchildren, Anthony Robinson of Chesapeake and Richard Smith and Junice Armstrong, both of Portsmouth, Va.; and six grandchildren.

Jean Wade McConnell

Travel Agency Owner

Jean Wade McConnell, 91, who owned TriWay Travel Agency in Falls Church from the early 1960s to 1983, died of congestive heart failure June 28 at her home at the Virginian in Fairfax.

Mrs. McConnell was a native of Bozeman, Mont., who moved to Washington in the early 1930s to be secretary to Sen. James E. Murray (D-Mont.)

She was president of the Women's Clubs of Falls Church and a member of International Golf and Country Club. Her interests included golf and bridge.

Her first husband, Glen Wade, died in 1966, and her second husband, Bill McConnell, died in 1982.

Survivors include three daughters from her first marriage, Barbara Geist of Reno, Nev., Patricia Temple of Yakima, Wash., and Karen Cowardin of New Bern, N.C.; a brother, seven grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.

Marie Manakin

Interior Decorator, Artist

Marie Manakin, 103, an interior decorator and painter, died of congestive heart failure July 1 at a hospital in Louisville. She moved there in 2001 from McLean.

Mrs. Manakin taught kindergarten in her native Austria and in Croatia before immigrating to the United States in 1949. She settled initially in Texas and moved in 1956 to Washington, where she studied art and interior design. She sold her paintings and consulted as an interior decorator in Washington and in Florida, where she lived from 1963 to 1986.

Her husband, Victor Manakin, died in 1963.

Survivors include a daughter, Sylvia Shauck of Louisville; two granddaughters; and four great-grandchildren.