Norbert L. Anschuetz

Foreign Service Officer

Norbert L. Anschuetz, 88, a retired Foreign Service officer who later became a Citibank executive specializing in foreign affairs, died of cancer Oct. 15 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Anschuetz was born in Leavenworth, Kan., and graduated from the University of Kansas and Harvard Law School. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Judge Advocate General's Corps in Austria.

He joined the Foreign Service in 1946 and was assigned to Athens as special assistant to the ambassador. He was later posted to Bangkok and then studied at the National War College. He was minister counselor in Cairo shortly after the Suez crisis and in Paris at the time of Charles de Gaulle's presidency. He then returned to Athens as charge d'affaires for several months and remained in Greece throughout the troubled times leading up to the military takeover of the government.

In 1968, he retired from the Foreign Service, then for two years represented Citibank in Beirut. He was later vice president for international affairs at the bank's New York office, then director of Citicorp's international development organization in London.

He returned to Washington in 1989. He was a member of the Council on Foreign Relations.

His wife, Roberta Cook Anschuetz, died 13 years ago.

Survivors include four daughters, Carol Anschuetz of Washington, Ellen Anschuetz Lewis of Greenwich, Conn., Susan Anschuetz of Denver and Nancy Anschuetz Stahl of Vienna, Austria; and seven grandchildren.

John E. 'Jack' Burgess

Retired Naval Aviator

John E. "Jack" Burgess, 67, of Lusby, a decorated naval aviator, died of lung cancer Oct. 11 at the University of Maryland Medical Center.

Mr. Burgess was born in Rochester, N.Y., graduated from Cornell University and was commissioned an ensign in the U.S. Navy in 1957.

During his 25-year naval career, Mr. Burgess served in the Vietnam War, graduated from the National War College, served in the State Department's Office of Political-Military Affairs and received a master's degree in international relations from George Washington University. Mr. Burgess also received the Defense Superior Service Medal, the Air Medal and the Navy Commendation Medal.

Upon his retirement as a captain in 1982, Mr. Burgess became a program manager at TRW, supporting the Naval Sea Systems Command and the Federal Aviation Administration.

Mr. Burgess moved to Chevy Chase in 1969 with his first wife, Judith Burgess, and their three sons. After his 1982 divorce, he lived in Potomac, Annapolis and then Lusby.

An avid cruising sailor, Mr. Burgess was commodore for the Chesapeake Morgan Association and a member of the Solomons Island Yacht Club.

Survivors include his wife, Susan S. Burgess of Lusby; sons Kevin Burgess of Yuma, Ariz., Timothy Burgess of Ossining, N.Y., and Alexander Burgess of San Francisco; stepdaughters Lisa Madigan of East Quogue, N.Y., and Leslie Keldsen of Hollis, N.H.; a brother; and four grandchildren.

Irene Fox Conn

Artist, Union Organizer

Irene Fox Conn, 88, a union organizer and housewife who was a stage performer in her youth, died of throat cancer Oct. 15 at her daughter's home in Falls Church.

Mrs. Conn was a ceramic artist whose distinctive, abstract style often featured flowing, organic shapes resembling fabric or ocean waves. Her work was shown as part of a "Young at Art" exhibit at the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria.

She was a member of senior groups at the Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia in Annandale.

As a member of the International Ladies Garment Workers Union in the 1930s, Mrs. Conn toured the country with the company of "Pins and Needles," a popular, union-produced musical theater production that became a Broadway hit. After Eleanor Roosevelt saw a performance, the cast gave a special performance at the White House for President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Mrs. Conn was born in New York City. She accompanied her sister and brother-in-law to the Soviet Union in 1931, living in Rostov-on-Don and later in Leningrad, where she worked as a textile designer. Returning to the United States in 1933, she joined the garment workers' union. She then worked as a union organizer for seamstresses who made high-fashion dresses.

In the late 1930s, she married a fellow union organizer. They moved to Danville, Va., and Greensboro, N.C., to organize unions at the large textile mills there. In 1953, the family moved to Louisville, where her husband, Lewis Conn, published a weekly newspaper for 22 years.

In 1986, the couple moved to Annapolis to be nearer their daughter and grandchildren. There, Mrs. Conn exhibited her work through the Maryland Federation of Art. She moved into her daughter's home in Falls Church after the death of her husband of 49 years, in 1989.

Survivors include two sons, Peter Conn of Louisville, Md., and Paul Conn of Montclair; a daughter, Deborah Conn of Falls Church; five grandchildren; and one great-granddaughter.

Isabelle Hodge Creer

Administrative Assistant

Isabelle Hodge Creer, 93, who retired in 1944 as an administrative assistant to Secretary of War Henry Stimson, died Oct. 16 of cardiac arrest at Chevy Chase House.

Mrs. Creer was born in Sugar City, Idaho, before moving to Utah. She attended the University of Utah and Brigham Young University. In 1929, she and her husband drove to Washington in a Model A Ford. She began working for the federal government when her husband enrolled in medical school.

She eventually worked in the secretary of war's office in what is now the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, and relocated with Stimson to the Pentagon when it opened. She was responsible for establishing and staffing the Pentagon dispensaries.

Mrs. Creer's avocations included theater. In the 1930s, she wrote and acted in radio plays that aired on WOL Presents. She was a voracious reader with a particular love of history. She was a longtime resident of Kenwood and a member of Congressional Country Club.

Her husband of 61 years, Dr. Roscoe Creer, who practiced general surgery in the Washington area, died in 1990.

Survivors include four children, Rowena Garver of Bethesda, Douglas Creer of Adelphi, Bradford Creer of Bethesda and Lorraine Bibby of Bethesda; seven grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Wilbur N. Dolbow

Army Civilian Employee

Wilbur N. Dolbow, 76, a longtime area resident who worked for the Army, died of pulmonary disease Oct. 2 at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital. He lived in Fairfax.

Mr. Dolbow was born in Connorton, Pa., and attended the University of Maryland. He enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Forces in 1947, serving in Italy and West Africa. He retired from the military in 1967 as a master sergeant.

He joined the Department of the Army as a civilian employee in 1968, working in law enforcement for the provost marshal general. He retired in 1987.

He was a member of Fairfax United Methodist Church, American Legion Post 177, Keana Shriners, Order of the Eastern Star, Order of the Moose and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

His wife of 27 years, Virginia A. Dolbow, died in 1988.

Survivors include a son, Duane of Fairfax, and a sister, Estella McNulty of Newark, Del.

Robert A. Draghi

Marymount Professor

Robert A. Draghi, 66, professor of philosophy and chairman of the philosophy, theology and religious studies department at Marymount University since 1961, died of cancer Oct. 13 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Draghi, who was born in Trenton, N.J., received a bachelor's degree from Villanova University and master's and doctoral degrees in philosophy from Catholic University of America.

Mr. Draghi, who lived in Arlington, was a leader in the establishment of the Marymount University Center for Ethical Concerns, which has addressed a range of ethical issues through seminars, conferences and workshops. He also coordinated the annual ethics seminar for faculty at Marymount. In 2000, he was named to Marymount University's first endowed chair, the John J. McDonnell Jr. Chair in Ethics.

From 1985 to 1997, Mr. Draghi served as the first dean of Marymount's School of Arts and Sciences. He was chairman of the Division of Arts and Sciences from 1976 to 1985.

Survivors include his wife of 42 years, Eleanor Draghi of Arlington; two sons, Michael Draghi of Arlington and Thomas Draghi of Fairfax; a daughter, Susan Goco of Arlington; two sisters; and seven grandchildren.

Hans Holzapfel

Foreign Service Officer

Hans Holzapfel, 80, a retired Foreign Service officer, died of lung cancer Oct. 5 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Holzapfel was born in Vienna and in 1938 escaped with his parents to the United States, settling in Massachusetts. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe as a forward observer with the infantry and later in the military government in Germany. He was awarded the Bronze Star.

After the military, he received a bachelor's degree from Boston University and a master's degree from Harvard University in Russian language studies. From 1953 until his retirement in 1982, he worked for the U.S. Information Agency in both civil and foreign assignments, specializing in Soviet and Eastern European affairs as a cultural and public affairs officer. Just before his retirement, he was director of the European division of the Voice of America.

After retirement, he volunteered at the State Department, working in the Freedom of Information request office, and wrote weekly press releases for the German Embassy. He also volunteered at the Holocaust Museum.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Lee Holzapfel of Fairfax; a son, Carl Holzapfel of Denver; a daughter, Karen Holzapfel of Canberra, Australia; and four grandchildren.

John L. Marnell

Police Officer, Court Commissioner

John L. Marnell, 62, a former Washington police lieutenant and Prince George's County court commissioner, died Oct. 13 of kidney failure in a Charleston, S.C., hospital.

Mr. Marnell retired from the police department's 5th District in 1984. He taught in the police academy for eight years.

Mr. Marnell was born in Washington and raised in Bowie. He graduated from Bladensburg High School and served two years in the Army, stationed in Japan. Upon his return, he attended American University, receiving an associate's degree in law enforcement. He then joined the police force.

After his retirement, he became Prince George's County court commissioner at the Hyattsville courthouse. He retired in 1991 to Myrtle Beach, S.C.

He was a member of the American Legion and the Disabled American Veterans. He also was a longtime coach and manager in the Bowie Soccer Association.

His 34-year marriage to Maureen Marnell of Falls Church ended in divorce in 2001.

Survivors include his wife of four months, Valerie Marnell of Myrtle Beach; a son, Dean Marnell of Springfield; a daughter, Tori Marnell of Beltsville; a sister, Theresa Marnell of Dunkirk; and two grandsons.

Sylvia R. Thornton

Volunteer and Security Worker

Sylvia R. Thornton, 80, a community volunteer who served in the Navy and did security work at the Naval Research Laboratory in Washington, died Oct. 14 of complications of cancer at a hospital in Richmond.

Mrs. Thornton was born in Oneida, Ky. She graduated from Sue Bennett College in London, Ky., then worked as a teacher in Kentucky public schools.

She came to Washington when she joined the Navy WAVES in 1943. She attained the rank of chief petty officer, and her final assignment was to the Joint Chiefs of Staff under Gen. Omar Bradley at the Pentagon. She left the Navy in 1950 and returned to work at the Naval Research Laboratory's security division from 1978 to 1988.

Mrs. Thornton was a resident of Oxon Hill from 1964 to this year, when she moved to Richmond. She volunteered with her children's school activities and community organizations, including the South Lawn Citizens Association. She taught part time at Oxon Hill Elementary School and was a deaconess and 37-year member of National City Christian Church. She was a 50-year member of the Order of the Eastern Star, Naomi Chapter 3.

Survivors include her husband of 53 years, Bill H. Thornton of Richmond; a daughter, Linda Thornton Mills of Richmond; a son, Stephen Thornton of Alexandria; and two grandsons.