Genevieve, 83, a French singer and comedian whose fractured English enchanted U.S. TV viewers on Jack Paar's "Tonight Show" in the late 1950s and early 1960s, died March 14 at her home in Venice, Calif., after a stroke.

The Paris-born chanteuse, born Ginette Marguerite Auger, was discovered by an American agent at Chez Genevieve, her Montmartre cafe, where she not only did the cooking but entertained customers with her singing. She eventually got an agent and toured internationally.

She began her appearances on Paar's show as a singer in 1957. She had a fever at the time, and Paar gave her hot buttered rum that made her tipsy. She went on the air and mangled her words, and the audience loved it. The singer, with her large brown eyes and short reddish-brown hair, became a regular on the show and a household name.

Sydney Carter

Hymn Composer

Sydney Carter, 88, a skeptical Christian whose song "Lord of the Dance" has entered many of the world's hymnals, died March 13 in London. He had Alzheimer's disease.

"Lord of the Dance" used an American Shaker tune, "Simple Gifts," and Mr. Carter said the words were partly inspired by a statue he owned of the Hindu deity Shiva. In a survey in the 1990s, "Lord of the Dance" was rated the fifth most popular song at school religious assemblies in Britain. Mr. Carter's "One More Step" ranked No. 1, and his "When I Needed a Neighbor" was sixth.

In the 1950s, Mr. Carter wrote material for the popular British entertainer Donald Swann. One of Mr. Carter's hits was "My Last Cigarette," and his "I Want a Little Bomb Like You" was a marching song for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. His antiwar song "Crow on the Cradle" was recorded by Judy Collins in 1962.

Roy Farmer

West Coast Businessman

Roy F. Farmer, 87, who for a half-century headed Torrance, Calif.-based Farmer Bros. Co. and turned his family's coffee-roasting business into a West Coast giant that supplies hospitals, hotels and restaurants, died March 16 at his home in Los Angeles. He had cancer.

Mr. Farmer was in high school when he began working in the business his father founded in 1912. He held a variety of positions from truck driver to coffee roaster. He was appointed chief executive in 1951 after his father's death and held the position until last year, when he was succeeded by his son.