Airports Authority Warns
Of Parking Problems
Parking lots at Reagan National Airport fill up quickly during the spring and summer, the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority said, urging travelers to take buses, taxis or Metro to the airport or to call ahead to check availability at 703-417-7275. The busiest days are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for the daily garages and Friday, Saturday and Sunday for the economy lot.
Dulles Pedestrian Bridge
Scheduled to Reopen
The pedestrian bridge on the third level of Daily Garage 2 at Washington Dulles International Airport was scheduled to reopen this week with a new glass canopy to protect passengers from the weather. The bridge has been closed since last fall for the construction.
More Passengers Expected
At Dulles This Summer
Significant growth in passenger volume is expected at Dulles this summer, Kenneth M. Mead, inspector general of the Department of Transportation, testified at a hearing before a Senate Appropriations subcommittee April 22.
"Some estimates put that increase [in traffic] at over 50 percent by this summer," said Mead, who cited the June 16 start of the low-cost carrier Independence Air among the reasons for the increase. Mead said the Department of Transportation was concerned about potential flight delays as well as the terminal services needed to process more passengers through security checkpoints.
Retired Gen. John R. "Jack" Dailey, director of the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum, received the Paul Tissandier Diploma at the National Aeronautic Association's spring awards ceremony April 26.
The honor from the Federation Aeronautique Internationale is given to those who have "served the cause of aviation in general and sporting aviation in particular." The new Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles was funded and constructed under Dailey.
Dulles to Get Part
Of Bond Proceeds
The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority held a $471 million bond sale April 22. Of that, $250 million will be used for construction at Dulles airport, primarily the passenger train system that connects the terminal and the concourses.
The rest will be used for refinancing, according to Tom Sullivan, spokesman for the airports authority.
* Comair, a carrier of Delta Connection, will begin daily service between National and Blue Grass Airport in Lexington, Ky., on June 15.
* Spirit Airlines will begin daily service between National and Detroit Metropolitan Airport on June 17.
* Midwest Airlines will add a third daily flight from National to Kansas City International Airport in Missouri on July 1.
* US Airways Express daily service between National and Wilmington, Del., will end July 10 and be replaced by weekend service only.
* US Airways Express will begin service between National and Chattanooga on July 11. The flights will be operated by PSA Airlines and will fly daily except Saturdays.
-- Compiled by LILA ARZUA