Sarah Fealy O'Boyle Carl

Trucking Executive

Sarah Fealy O'Boyle Carl, 86, former vice president of Washington-based O'Boyle Tank Lines and an area trucking association president, died of cancer May 11 at her home in Gaithersburg.

Mrs. Carl was a native Washingtonian. She graduated from Notre Dame Academy and the Notre Dame Business School, then worked for the Farm Credit Union.

She married Richard M. O'Boyle in 1937. After his death in a boating accident in 1948, she took over O'Boyle Tank Lines.

She remarried in 1951 and moved to Gaithersburg in 1954.

Over time, she was a member of three Catholic churches: St. John Neumann in Gaithersburg, Holy Cross in Garrett Park and St. Martin's of Gaithersburg.

She was a former president of the Washington-area American Trucking Association and a member of Congressional Country Club.

She did volunteer work for Mother Teresa's Missionary Helpers in Washington.

Her second husband, William F. Carl, died in 1959. A daughter from her first marriage, Martha O'Boyle Campbell, died in 2000.

Survivors include four children from her first marriage, Mary O'Boyle Deaver of Norman, Okla., Richard M. O'Boyle of Carpentersville, Ill., and Kathleen O'Boyle Bohrer and Eileen O'Boyle McDermott, both of Gaithersburg; four children from her second marriage, William F. Carl of Berryville, Joanne Carl Couste of Cabin John and Dee Carl Metz and Betsy Carl Thompson, both of Rockville; 28 grandchildren; 21 great-grandchildren; and a great-great-granddaughter.

Maxine Cunningham Millard

Personnel Officer

Maxine Cunningham Millard, 83, who spent 44 years as a government personnel officer and retired in 1994 from the U.S. Geological Survey, died of a brain hemorrhage April 29 at Capital Hospice in Arlington. She lived in Alexandria.

Mrs. Millard was born in Wichita and settled in the Washington area in 1940. She worked as a civilian for the Army Department until 1963.

She then worked at the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development and the Federal Water Pollution Control Administration before joining the Geological Survey in 1972.

She received meritorious and distinguished service awards from the Army and Interior departments.

Her memberships included Westminster Presbyterian Church in Alexandria, the Zonta International service organization and the Sweet Adelines singing group.

Her husband of 27 years, M. Robert Millard, died in 1973.

She leaves no immediate survivors.

Thomas James Deane Jr.

Navy Commander

Thomas James Deane Jr., 73, who served in the Navy from 1949 to 1984 and retired as a commander, died of cardiac arrest May 10 at Greenspring Village retirement community in Springfield.

Cmdr. Deane, a native of Athol, Mass., served on the nuclear submarine USS Nautilus in the 1950s. He was commissioned in the Supply Corps in 1963. His final active-duty assignment was doing administrative work at the Defense Logistics Agency in Alexandria.

In retirement, he held a series of jobs, including starter at the Fort Belvoir golf course and sales representative for the Washington Bullets.

His marriage to Anna Vento Deane ended in divorce.

Survivors include three children, Julie Nash of Avon, Conn., Jan Thomas of Alexandria and Thomas J. Deane III of Catawba, Va.; his mother, Mary L. Deane of Quincy, Mass.; two brothers; six sisters; and five grandchildren.

Richard Anthony Galla


Richard Anthony Galla, 43, a musician, died in a fall May 2 at his home in Washington.

The Washington medical examiner's office ruled the death a homicide and said that Mr. Galla died from multiple blunt impact injuries. D.C. police are investigating.

Mr. Galla was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., and a 1984 graduate of the University of Maryland. He received a master's degree in music from the University of Southern California in 1986.

He was a musician for many choral groups and an accompanist for solo performers in the Washington area, including the Harlem Boys Choir and the Washington Ballet, for which he had worked 18 years.

He also was the music minister for Christ United Methodist Church in Washington for seven years.

Survivors include his parents, Joseph Galla of Sunny Isles, Fla., and Carolyn Pascale of Pembroke Pines, Fla.; two sisters; and a brother.

Harry John 'Buck' Smith

Engineer, Prison Volunteer

Harry John "Buck" Smith, 79, a retired Defense Department electronics engineer, died of lung cancer May 8 at his home in Manassas.

Mr. Smith was born in River Rouge, Mich., and joined the Marine Corps after graduating from high school. He rose to the rank of staff sergeant and worked with radar at postings in the United States and Guam.

After his discharge, he graduated from Michigan State University. A member of the ROTC while in college, he was called to active duty in the Army in 1950.

After his second discharge, he moved to Northern Virginia. From the mid-1950s to the late 1970s, he worked in defense communications for the Defense Department.

Upon his retirement, he volunteered with the ecumenical Kairos Prison Ministry in prisons and Epiphany Prison Ministry in juvenile facilities.

He was a member of All Saints Catholic Church in Manassas and Cursillo of Northern Virginia, an evangelical Catholic organization.

Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Margaretta Sullivan Smith of Manassas; eight children, Michael P. Smith of Fairfax, Martin J. Smith of Springfield, Margaretta Scott of Richmond, Mary Valad of Annandale, Anne Cassidy of Sterling, Charles E. Smith of Manassas and Harry P. Smith and Timothy J. Smith, both of Arlington; a sister; two brothers; and seven grandchildren.

Mary Alice 'Mollie' Fitzpatrick

Scout Leader, Records Clerk

Mary Alice "Mollie" Fitzpatrick, 84, a longtime medical records clerk and Girl Scout leader, died May 7 at an assisted-living facility in Columbia, S.C. She had kidney disease.

She was a resident of Garrett Park from 1956 to 2001 and was known for her involvement in the PTA and scouting and in support of the political activities of her husband, George R. Fitzpatrick, a two-term mayor of Garrett Park and a 16-year member of the Town Council.

Mrs. Fitzpatrick was born in Philadelphia and worked as a laboratory technician as a young woman. She and her husband were married in 1943 and lived in Panama for several years while he was with the State Department. They settled in Washington in 1948 before moving to Garrett Park eight years later.

In addition to leading Girl Scout troops, Mrs. Fitzpatrick spent 20 years as a medical records clerk for Kaiser Permanente in Kensington, retiring in 1996. She enjoyed cooking and, as a seamstress, made her children's clothes.

Her husband, who was mayor of Garrett Park from 1974 to 1978, died in 1997.

Survivors include three children, George R. Fitzpatrick Jr. of Lake Oswego, Ore., Frances Megan Thompson of Monrovia and Marla K. Schoolmeester of Columbia, S.C.; a sister; six grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Charles S. Adamo

Federal Auditor

Charles S. Adamo, 92, a retired auditor and contract specialist at the old Department of Health, Education and Welfare, died May 11 at his home in College Park. He had a heart ailment.

Mr. Adamo was born in New York, where he worked for the federal Office of Alien Property before settling in the Washington area in 1953. He soon went to Health, Education and Welfare and retired in 1970.

He attended City College of New York.

He was a member of St. Mark's Catholic Church in Adelphi.

Survivors include his wife of 63 years, Sylvia LoPinto Adamo of College Park; four children, Louis Adamo of Del Mar, Calif., Joseph Adamo of Vinton, Va., Dr. Charles Adamo of Annapolis and Graceanne Adamo of Greenbelt; 12 grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Mrs. Carl led O'Boyle Tank Lines after her husband's death in 1948.