(Numbers in parentheses correspond to location numbers in Location Key.)
ANGELS HAVE WHEELS
Medicare recipients who suffer from arthritis, cardiovascular disease and respiratory disorders and have difficulty walking or using a standard wheelchair may be eligible for an electric wheelchair. For information, call Gregory Coleman at 800-810-2877.
ADOLESCENT DIABETES SUPPORT GROUP
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) is forming a group for youths ages 10-18. To participate, call 410-414-4670.
BLOOD PRESSURE SCREENINGS
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers screenings 11 a.m.-1 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month. No appointment needed. Free.
* Civista Medical Center (8) offers screenings 1-3 p.m. the first and third Monday of each month in La Plata or the second Monday in Bryans Road. Free.
* Calvert Pines Senior Center (2) offers screenings 11 a.m.-noon the first and third Thursday of each month. Free.
* North Beach Senior Center (12) offers screenings 10-11 a.m. the first Friday of each month. Free.
COLORECTAL CANCER SCREENINGS
Information about risk factors, symptoms, screening guidelines, prevention strategies and free home screening test kits. Presentations on screenings and free test kits are available to individuals and organizations. Call 410-414-4775 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4775.
American Red Cross community first aid, safety and CPR certification classes are designed to meet new standards for day-care providers. 6-9 p.m. Tuesday and May 25, Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4). $49.
DOMESTIC ABUSE SURVIVORS MEETING
This group provides an opportunity to share experiences, information on coping skills and resources, and moral support. Sponsored by A Better Life. 7 p.m. Tuesday, Blades School of Hair Design, San Souci Plaza, California. Free. Call Liz, 240-298-5716.
MIND, BODY, SPIRIT IN THE GARDEN
Sponsored by Calvert Memorial Hospital Health Alternatives and Calvert County Cultural Arts Council. Activities include seated massage, the Trager Approach, a drumming circle, walking meditation and more. Food, art and other items for sale. Workshops available. 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Annmarie Garden, Solomons. Free. 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
Get a better understanding of the risks of this bone disorder. Bone density screenings available. 2-5 p.m. May 23, St. Mary's Hospital (13). Screenings, $20. Call to register.
FIRST AID, SAFETY AND CPR COURSES
* American Heart Association CPR Basic Life Support for health-care providers. 9 a.m.-3 p.m. June 12, Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4). $49.
* American Red Cross community first aid, safety and CPR designed to meet the new standards for day-care providers. Learn first aid and CPR for adults, infants and children. 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. June 26. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). $49.
* Learn what to do in an emergency and when to call 911. Receive an American Health and Safety Institute completion card. 5-9 p.m. May 27, St. Mary's Hospital (13), Health Connections. $25.
BABYSITTERS' TRAINING COURSE
For babysitters ages 11-13. Includes first aid, rescue breathing, child safety, infant and child care and communication. 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Aug. 21, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). $39.
SENIOR HEALTH AND FITNESS DAY
Information on tai chi, aerobic activities, pool classes, wellness fair with free screenings, speakers and a buffet lunch. Health Express van will be available for free blood pressure and abdominal aortic aneurysm screenings. 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., May 26, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, Clinton. Call Southern Maryland Hospital Center for more information and to register. 301-877-7370.
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers whole-body scans, including specialized heart scans that provide a detailed look inside the coronary arteries and the heart. Call 410-414-4782.
DIABETES SELF-MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
Monthly program recognized by the American Diabetes Association for Quality Self-Management Education that focuses on the core of the ADA curriculum and the disease in general. Medical nutrition therapy, self-monitoring of blood glucose, exercise testing and prescription, and insulin preparation and administration. Covered by most insurance programs. Call Civista Women's Health Center (9) to discuss coverage and registration.
CMH LUNCH AND LEARN
"Headaches and Chiropractic Care," presented by Michael Calhoun. noon-1 p.m. June 9, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3), Keepwell Center. $10.
Lose weight and strengthen your body with a blend of yoga, tai qi, dance and more. 5:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, to June 8, $72; 7-8 p.m. Wednesdays, through June 16, $85. Solomons Medical Center (14). Call Healthy Alternatives to register, 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
People With Arthritis Can Exercise programs are designed to improve endurance and joint mobility with sensitivity to limitations. 10:30-11:30 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays every week at the Calvert Pines Senior Center (2). 410-535-4606. 10-11 a.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays every week at Southern Pines Senior Center (16). 410-586-2748. 10:30-11:30 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, North Beach Senior Center (12). 410-257-2549. Free.
Southern Maryland Hospital Center offers this program to improve individual well-being. Regain peace and calm, balance and relaxation. 5:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (15), in the library. Fee involved.
* At St. Mary's Hospital (13), professionals will help with meal planning, monitoring, treatment options and day-to-day coping. Self-management classes are offered days, evenings and Saturdays. Insurance coverage required. Call 301-475-6185.
* Civista Women's Health Center (9) offers a program of two group classes and two individual sessions. Sessions include medical nutrition therapy; self-monitoring for blood glucose; exercise, testing and prescription; and insulin preparation and administration. Call 301-609-5200 to discuss insurance coverage and registration.
* Maryland Foundation for Quality Healthcare Inc. offers an eight-hour diabetes self-management course (four, two-hour classes) 7-9 p.m. Tuesdays, May 18 and May 25, and 1-3 p.m. Thursdays, May 20 and May 27 at Waldorf Health Partners, 3070 Crain Hwy., Waldorf; 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, May 19 and May 26, Wildewood Center, California. $5 per class. 301-870-7816, Ext. 3007, or 301-705-7870, Ext. 3007 or register online at www.udoithealthcare.org.
LIFE CYCLES PROGRAM FOR WOMEN
A monthly program for all ages. "Get Smart, Get Tested," presented by Robin Baranowski, registered nurse and colon cancer prevention coordinator. 5-6 p.m. Tuesday, Molly Claire Tea Room, the Berry Patch, Route 231, Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-8233.
HEALTH TALK SPEAKERS BUREAU
Health care professionals are available to present programs at businesses or to community groups. Topics include diet and nutrition, heart disease prevention, cancer prevention, breast cancer, skin care, sleep disorders, diabetes, hearing loss, osteoporosis, alternative medicine, children's health and safety and women's health issues. Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital. 410-414-4523 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4523.
Southern Maryland Hospital Center offers an informational program for people with chronic hepatitis C. Common side effects of treatment and suggestions for managing them will be discussed. Dose preparation and self-injection will be demonstrated. 11 a.m.-noon the third Monday of each month, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (15) library. Free. 800-782-2347, Ext. 2307.
Meet with a certified fitness trainer to evaluate your fitness level. Session costs $50. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
A 50-minute demonstration warns against tobacco use. Available upon request for groups of children ages 6-10. Free. Calvert Memorial Hospital. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
STRENGTH TRAINING FOR WOMEN
These exercise classes for women are designed to strengthen and tone muscles and increase flexibility. Participants will use dumbbells, resistance bands and other exercise equipment. Certified instructors. 6:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Registration not required. Four sessions, $30; one session, $8.
RELAX AND REJUVENATE
Learn meditation and relaxation techniques to deal with stress, chronic illness and general wellness. 7-8 p.m. Mondays, June 7-June 28, Solomons Medical Center (14). $36.
* This class teaches participants relaxation techniques, flexibility exercises and strengthening techniques. 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays or 9-10 a.m. Wednesdays, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Four sessions, $30; one session, $8. Registration not required.
* Beginning yoga, class teaches relaxation techniques, flexibility exercises and strengthening techniques. 10-10:45 a.m. Mondays, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Four sessions, $30; one session, $8. Registration not required.
* Enjoy a seated, 15-minute therapeutic massage on your neck, back or shoulders. Relieve tension, enhance concentration, and feel alert and refreshed. 9:45 a.m.-2:45 p.m. the second and fourth Thursdays of each month, Dunkirk Medical Center (10); 10 a.m.-2 p.m. the second Monday of each month, Solomons Medical Center (14); and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). 15-minute sessions, $13; 30-minute sessions, $26. Appointment required. 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
* Designed for pregnant women to reduce pain, tension and swelling. Improves circulation. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call for more information.
Treat depression, anxiety, migraines, nausea, infertility and more. Call Healthy Alternatives at Calvert Memorial Hospital, 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
INTRODUCTION TO PAIN MANAGEMENT
Learn to control chronic pain through relaxation techniques. Call Healthy Alternatives, 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
INFANT BRAIN DEVELOPMENT COURSE
Learn how to maximize your child's intellectual and emotional potential and how the brain develops during the first three years of life. Be ready for each stage of development. 6:30-8 p.m. tomorrow, St. Mary's Hospital (13).
For new parents and those expecting a child. Learn about infant care, feedings, immunizations and treating minor illness for babies 2 months to 1 year old. No CPR training in this class. 6:30-8:30 p.m. June 9. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). $9 a couple.
BIRTH CENTER TOURS
Those expecting a child tour the birth center at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). 2 p.m. the third Sunday of each month, meet in the Emergency Department. Free. For times and other information, call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
Learn about medical benefits of breastfeeding; how to get started; what to prepare for before and after the birth; nutrition; going back to work; options on pumps and bottles; and more. Fathers encouraged to attend. Call for dates and times. Civista Women's Health Center (9). 888-332-4847.
* Civista's Antenatal Testing Center class will prepare a pregnant woman and her support person and include a tour of the Family Birthing Center. The newly expanded class will cover sleeping, feeding, safety, illness, growth and development. Civista's Antenatal Testing Center (6). Call for class times and dates. 888-332-4847. $85 registration required.
* Childbirth education weeknights and Saturdays. Call Nurturing Necessities for more information. 410-414-5414.
NEW PREGNANCY MASSAGE
Provided by a trained therapist. Calvert Memorial Hospital. Call for an appointment. One-hour session, $60. 410-535-8210 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
St. Mary's Hospital (13) offers a series of monthly parenting classes that cover baby care, breastfeeding, childbirth, infant safety, CPR and siblings. Free to moms who intend to deliver at St. Mary's. Call 301-475-6019.
St. Mary's Hospital (13) offers a six-week class that can help pregnant women relax, strengthen their bodies and speed recovery after childbirth. The class includes hatha yoga postures, breathing practices for relaxation and the use of sound to help relieve stress. Begin the class any time after completing the first trimester of pregnancy. Permission from a health care provider is required. Fee charged. For dates and times and to register, call 301-475-6019.
* Prepare children 2-8 years old for the new baby in the family. Free to moms who deliver at Civista Medical Center (8). Meets in the lobby. 2-3 p.m. May 22. $5. Registration and prepayment required.
* Designed to prepare children 3-5 years old for the arrival of a new sibling. Free for families delivering at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). 10-11:15 a.m., June 12. $12.
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) Amputee Group meets 6-7:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month in the level four recreation room of the hospital. Free. Call Scarlett Schall, 410-535-8210 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8210.
Families and people with Asperger Syndrome, autism or related conditions are invited. Meetings are Fridays at the Lusby Office Suites, Conference Room 2, 192 Main St., Prince Frederick (across from Lusby Hardware). Free. Call for times. 410-326-6655.
BRAIN INJURY SUPPORT GROUPS
* Meets 6:30-8 p.m. the first Tuesday and third Wednesday of each month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call 410-535-5467.
* Meets 6:30-8 p.m. the third Thursday of each month, Spring Dell Center Inc., 6040 Radio Station Rd., La Plata. Call 301-932-6196.
Friends Who Care meets at 6:30 p.m. the first and third Tuesdays of each month at Calvert Medical Office Building, Prince Frederick. Free. Call social worker Joyce Gradle at 410-326-4262.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4) Medical Office Building offers a group for cancer patients from 5:30-7 p.m. the first and third Thursdays of each month. Free. Call Meghan Toffey, 410-414-4730 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4730.
* St. Mary's Hospital offers a support group for cancer patients, family and friends. Snacks provided. 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, St. Mary's Hospital (13). Free. 301-475-6070.
* Charles County Health Department is forming a support group for cancer survivors and their caregivers. 7-8:30 p.m. the second Thursday of each month, Health Partners (11), next to the Waldorf Jaycees Community Center, Waldorf. Free. 301-743-7272.
Civista Medical Center (8) sponsors a group for cardiac patients and relatives. 7-8 p.m. the third Wednesday (except holidays) of each month in the cafeteria. Registration not required.
CAREGIVERS SUPPORT GROUP
For caregivers of any age who provide care for an older adult. 2 p.m. last Wednesday of each month, Richard Clark Senior Center, 1210 E. Charles St., La Plata. Free. 301-934-0128 or 301-870-3388, Ext. 5128.
CELIAC SUPPORT GROUP
A new program for patients, family and friends. Learn more about the disease and discuss options and coping strategies. Meets 5:30-6:30 p.m. Wednesdays in the library at Southern Maryland Hospital Center (15).
DEPRESSION SUPPORT GROUP
This forum provides facts on depression, including causes, types, symptoms and treatments. 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, St. Mary's Hospital (13) Rehabilitation Medicine Department. Free.
DIABETES SUPPORT GROUP
* Meets 2-4 or 7-9 p.m. the third Thursday of each month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). For meeting topics and speakers, call the Diabetes Support Group Hotline at 410-414-4783.
* Meets 1:30-3 p.m. Wednesday, St. Mary's Hospital's Health Connections (13). For more information, call 301-475-6185.
GOOD GRIEF SUPPORT GROUP
Sponsored by Hospice of St. Mary's for all in the community grieving the loss of a loved one. 6:30-8:30 p.m. Hospice of St. Mary's, 25500 Point Lookout Rd., Leonardtown. Free. 301-475-6070.
LUPUS SUPPORT GROUP
For emotional support and education, sponsored by the Lupus Foundation. 2:30-4:30 p.m. the third Sunday of each month in the library of Southern Maryland Hospital Center (15). Free.
PARKINSON'S SUPPORT GROUP
Open to those of all ages with the disease. Friends and relatives are invited. Support and education on various aspects of the disease are provided. Meets 2-4 p.m. the fourth Saturday of each month, Civista Medical Center (8).
Meet others who are coping with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Topics include sleep disorders, stress management, asthma and allergies. 6-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Health Connections Center, next to St. Mary's Hospital (13).
Southern Maryland Hospital Center offers support, education and understanding to people who have suffered strokes and their relatives. 5-6 p.m. the fourth Thursday of each month, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free. Registration recommended. 301-877-4563.
WOMEN IN TRANSITION
Offers support for women's issues such as changing family structure, entering or leaving the workforce, shifts in health and balancing home, work and friendship. 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Four sessions, $100; $30 each session. Registration and prepayment required.
-- Compiled by BONNIE SMITH
To Submit an Item
Mail: Health Calendar, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Include event name, dates and times, exact address, cost and a publishable contact phone number. Items are accepted on a space-available basis from public and nonprofit organizations only and must be received at least 14 days before the second Sunday of the month. For more information, call 301-934-3513.