Beatrice M. Gudridge

Writer, Editor

Beatrice M. Gudridge, 86, a writer and editor who retired in 1967 after 17 years with the National Education Association, died of cardiovascular disease April 20 at the Wilson Health Care Center of the Asbury Methodist Village in Gaithersburg.

Mrs. Gudridge lived in Bethesda and then Rockville before moving to Asbury Methodist Village in 1995.

As a writer, she wrote NEA handbooks to help parents prepare their children for school. At the end of her career, she was associate director of the NEA's division of press, radio and television relations.

After retiring, she ran her public relations firm for 10 years, until 1978.

She was a native of Niagara Falls, N.Y., and graduated from Syracuse University, where she was editor of the Daily Orange student newspaper.

She moved to the District in 1940 and initially worked as a copygirl for The Washington Post. She left The Post to work for WTOP-AM, first as an editorial assistant for a food program and then as anchor of a daily afternoon news show.

From 1946 to 1949, she was editorial assistant to ABC Radio network newscaster H.R. Baukhage and his "Baukhage Talking" news show.

Her husband, Roy M. Gudridge, died in 1999 after 59 years of marriage.

Survivors include a son, Roy M. Gudridge of Seattle.

Peggy A. Clark

Former Presidential Assistant

Peggy A. Clark, 57, director of government and industry relations for Sallie Mae and former special assistant in the Clinton administration, died of cancer May 14 at her home in Georgetown.

Ms. Clark worked for Sallie Mae since 1998. Previously, she was a special assistant in the White House Office of Presidential Personnel for five years.

She was born in Emporia, Kan., and received a bachelor's degree in communications from Kansas State University. She earned a master's degree in fine arts from the University of Kansas in 1973. She worked for the Federal Bureau of Prisons and the Small Business Administration and owned a business, Clark Publishing, which published the Capital Computer Digest, from 1985 to 1993.

Ms. Clark served on the boards of the Duke Ellington School of the Performing Arts and the American Council of Young Political Leaders. She led a delegation of young U.S. political leaders to Australia in 2001 and hosted several delegations of young political leaders visiting the United States.

Survivors include her husband, Bruce A. Finzen, of Washington; her parents, Harold and Margaret Clark of New Braunfels, Tex.; and a brother.

Pauline Stafford Jakobowski

Elementary School Teacher

Pauline "Polly" Stafford Jakobowski, 70, who taught at St. Elizabeth School in Rockville for 15 years, died of leukemia May 6 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital in Gaithersburg. She lived in Potomac.

Mrs. Jakobowski taught second grade at St. Elizabeth from 1979 until she retired in 1994. She continued to work as a substitute teacher there and at other schools after her retirement. Previously, she had been a preschool teacher at St. Raphael School in Rockville.

She was born in Washington and graduated from Sacred Heart High School and Barry College in Miami. In 1994, she was named Maryland Catholic school teacher of the year by the Rock Creek Council of the Knights of Columbus.

She did volunteer work as a teacher with the Montgomery County Detention Center in Rockville and with So Others Might Eat in Washington. She was an active sportswoman, participating in golf, tennis and skiing, and was a member of St. Elizabeth Catholic Church in Rockville for more than 40 years.

Survivors include her husband of 47 years, Walter Jakobowski of Potomac; four children, Rick Jakobowski of Virginia Beach, Mike Jakobowski of Poolesville, Jeff Jakobowski of Ashton and Maria Jakobowski Willinger of Baltimore; a sister, Patricia Broderick of Bethesda; a brother, Richard Stafford of New York; and eight grandchildren.

Donald F. Humphrey

Construction Consultant

Donald F. Humphrey, 76, the head of construction for D.C. Housing Development Corp. in the late 1960s and early 1970s, died of cancer April 19 at his home in Berlin, Md.

From 1967 to 1974, Mr. Humphrey worked for the nonprofit corporation, which produced and sponsored low-income housing in Washington, under Channing E. Phillips, the company's president.

Among the nonprofit's renovated projects were such multi-family buildings as Clifton Terrace and Sky Tower Apartments and single-family homes in the Capitol Hill area.

Mr. Humphrey also participated in tenant organizations and testified as an expert witness for low-income tenants and displaced families. During the 1968 Resurrection City in Washington, he helped build temporary meeting halls and shelters.

After leaving the housing corporation, he continued as a construction consultant for private investors who were building Section 8 housing.

Mr. Humphrey was born in Washington. He graduated from McKinley Technical High School and the University of Maryland.

He lived in Wheaton for 50 years, before moving to Berlin. He was passionate about the historic house Genesar, which he owned and had restored in Worcester County, Md.

Survivors include his wife, Caroline Humphrey of Berlin; eight children, Therese Humphrey of Alexandria, Donna Matthews of Luray, Va., Mark Humphrey of Clarksville, Christopher Humphrey of Wheaton, Joan LaHayne of Glenwood, Mary Kroll of Damascus, Thomas Humphrey of Frederick and Diane Kull of New Market, Va.; and 14 grandchildren.

Gertrude Ruttenberg

Group Health Board Member

Gertrude Ruttenberg, 85, a former board member of Group Health Association of America in Washington, died of pneumonia May 15 at her home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Ruttenberg, who was active in the nonprofit Group Health from the 1960s to the 1990s, took a lead role in starting a special assistance fund as a way for members to pay for medical needs such as transportation and some medications.

She was a native of Pittsburgh and a business school graduate who worked for the Steelworkers Organizing Committee before moving to Washington in 1940.

She became active in Arlingtonians for a Better County, the National Council of Jewish Women and Temple Sinai in Washington, where she was a member of the board.

She volunteered with the Girl Scouts and regularly played tennis at Indian Spring Country Club and Landon Tennis Club in Bethesda.

Her husband, Stanley H. Ruttenberg, died in 2001 after 61 years of marriage.

Survivors include three children, Joel Ruttenberg of Katonah, N.Y., Ruth Ruttenberg of Bethesda and Charles Ruttenberg of Rockville; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Hazel J. Tyree

Data Assembly Supervisor

Hazel J. Tyree, 84, a former employee of the National Geographic Society, died of lung cancer May 14 at her home in the Glover Park neighborhood of Washington.

Mrs. Tyree was born in Alleghany County, Va., and raised on a farm. During World War II, she worked for Industrial Rayon Corp. in Covington, Va.

In 1951, she moved with her family to Washington. She lived near Columbia Road and Calvert Street NW before moving to Glover Park in 1967.

Mrs. Tyree joined the staff of National Geographic in 1958 and retired as a supervisor in its data assembly division in Gaithersburg in 1984.

Her husband of 35 years, Benjamin Percy Tyree, died in 1976.

Survivors include two children, Benjamin P. Tyree Jr. and Sherry Jane Tyree, both of Washington; three sisters, Ina Mae Church of Radford, Va., Dorothy Arlene Keifer of Front Royal, Va., and Escovene "Jo" Critzer of Baltimore; a half sister, Dorothy Maxine Ayers of Alleghany County; and two grandchildren.

Samuel R. Jordan Sr.

Postal Service Manager

Samuel R. Jordan Sr., 84, a retired U.S. Postal Service mail processing manager, World War II veteran and member of First Rock Baptist Church in Washington, died of complications from kidney failure April 26 at Washington Adventist Hospital in Takoma Park. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Jordan, who was born in Severn, N.C., attended what is now Elizabeth City State University in North Carolina before entering the Army during World War II. He participated in the Allied invasion of Normandy, serving with a tank destroyer unit near the seaport Cherbourg.

After the war, he began a career with the U.S. Post Office Department. He reenlisted in the Army during the Korean War and served two more years of active military duty before returning to his civil service career.

Mr. Jordan, a first sergeant in the Army Reserves, worked as a unit administrator at the Lieber Army Reserve Training Center in Alexandria from 1970 to 1985.

At First Rock Baptist Church, he was chairman of the board of trustees, president of the male chorus and head of the transportation committee. He also was a senior steward of the Masons and an Election Day official in Ward 7.

His marriage to Annie Pearl Jordan ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Nettie Jordan and Samuel Jordan Jr., both of Washington; a sister, Ruth Jordan of Washington; three grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Jessie Heinl Evjen

Church, Club Member

Jessie Heinl Evjen, 97, a member of the Lutheran Church of the Reformation in Washington, died May 14 at the National Lutheran Home in Rockville, where she lived. She had hypertension.

Mrs. Evjen was a member of the Lutheran Home's auxiliary, which did fundraising and other work. She was a former member of the Women's Community Club of Kensington.

She was born in North Bergen, N.J., and settled in the Washington area about 1940. Early in her career, she supervised the secretarial staff at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center's aural rehabilitation clinic.

Her husband of 48 years, Victor H. Evjen, died in 1979.

She leaves no immediate survivors.

Charlotte Kahn Fox

Volunteer, Philanthropist

Charlotte Kahn Fox, 87, a former Chevy Chase resident who volunteered with the Red Cross, Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts, died May 1 of complications following a stroke at her home in Palm Beach, Fla.

Mrs. Fox was born in Washington and graduated from Central High School. She received a bachelor's degree from the University of Michigan in 1937.

After college, she briefly worked in the Capitol Hill office of Rep. Bruce Barton (R-N.Y.).

In 1939, she married Henry J. Fox, who founded the Washington law firm of Arent Fox Kintner Plotkin & Kahn. They raised their family in Chevy Chase. In the mid-1970s, the Foxes divided their time between Chevy Chase and Palm Beach

Mrs. Fox had a passion for fashion and shopping -- whether at a flea market or at Saks Fifth Avenue.

She enjoyed playing golf and tennis at Woodmont Country Club and was a bridge player. She also took pleasure in frequenting the theater and art galleries. She extended her philanthropy to many causes, including several Jewish organizations.

Survivors include three children, Leslie Fox Kefauver of Bethesda, Dr. Robert Fox of La Jolla, Calif., and Linda Joy Fox of Fayetteville, N.C.; and a brother, B. Franklin Kahn of Chevy Chase.

Cecilia Uribe Robb

Spanish, French Instructor

Cecilia Uribe Robb, 77, a Spanish and French instructor who taught at George Washington University for about 10 years until the late 1970s, died of respiratory failure May 14 at her home in Washington. She had asthma and diabetes.

Mrs. Robb, who had lived in Washington since 1959, was born in Barranquilla, Colombia. She graduated from a teachers college in Medellin and studied languages in Spain and France.

She came to this country in 1955 to study and teach at the College of St. Teresa in Winona, Minn. Soon after moving to Washington, she taught Spanish at the State Department and Georgetown Visitation Junior College.

She later taught Spanish and French at the Institute of Lifetime Learning, a nonprofit educational institution in Washington.

Survivors include her husband of 31 years, James W. Robb of Washington, and a sister.

Bernice P. Johnson Jewell

Engraving and Printing Employee

Bernice Pernella Johnson Jewell, 75, who worked at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing for 29 years, died May 12 of congestive heart failure at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mrs. Jewell was born in Washington and graduated from Cardozo Senior High School.

She uncoiled stamps and examined money at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. A picture of her at work was featured on a brochure the bureau used in the 1990s for promoting tourism. She retired in 1996.

In the late 1960s and 1970s, she worked in food service at the Washington Club. She also was a home caterer and made cakes for all occasions.

Mrs. Jewell was a 35-year member of Gethsemane Baptist Church in Washington, where she sang in the choir, attended Bible study and cooked breakfast for members on Sunday mornings.

Two years ago, she joined Dayspring Community Church in Greenbelt and was a member of the Prince George's flock. She used her cross-stitching skills to make bookmarks for the church. She also wrote a play, "A Tribute to Mothers."

Her marriage to James W. Jewell ended in divorce.

Survivors include five children, Marietta Jewell, Willie Jewell and Karlton Jewell, all of Forestville, Derrick Jewell of Baltimore and Paul Jewell of Washington; six grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Ellenor 'Peggy' Hoskot


Ellenor "Peggy" Knupp Hoskot, 90, a former member of the Altar Guild at Immanuel Church-on-the-Hill in Alexandria, died of pneumonia May 16 at the Westminster at Lake Ridge retirement community.

Mrs. Hoskot, who moved to Westminster in April after living in Alexandria for 22 years, was born in San Francisco and raised in Porterville, Calif. She graduated from the University of California at Berkeley in 1933.

She lived in Carmel, Calif., while her husband, Nathaniel R. Hoskot, an Army officer who later retired as a colonel, served in World War II and the Korean War.

Mrs. Hoskot volunteered as a Gray Lady in military hospitals and worked at thrift shops while accompanying her husband on his military assignments to India and Germany. She also lived in Milan for about five years until she settled in Alexandria in 1982.

Her husband died in 2004 after 68 years of marriage.

Survivors include three children, Nathaniel Ramsey Hoskot Jr. of Fallbrook, Calif., David Breck Hoskot of Pacific Palisades, Calif., and Anne Hoskot Kreutzer of Woodbridge; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Solomon Gampel


Solomon Gampel, 93, a retired Silver Spring barber, died of a stroke May 14 at Suburban Hospital.

Mr. Gampel, who lived in Takoma Park, was born in Borislav, Poland, which is now part of Ukraine.

He learned to cut hair as a young man. It was a trade he practiced while he served as a supply clerk in the Russian army during World War II.

Mr. Gampel, who lost his mother and three brothers in the Holocaust, returned to Poland from Russia in 1946. He then immigrated to this country in 1961 with his wife and two children.

They immediately settled in Silver Spring, where Mr. Gampel worked at the Flower Avenue Barber Shop. He bought the shop in 1970 and sold it six years later. He worked part time at Felix's Barber Shop in Silver Spring until he retired in 1989.

Survivors include his wife, Tatiana Gampel of Takoma Park; two children, Lucy Pearl of Bowie and William Gampel of Wichita Falls, Tex.; and two grandchildren.

Joseph A. Weakland

Lab Technician

Joseph A. Weakland, 71, who retired in 2002 as a lab technician at the Blue Plains Wastewater Treatment Plant in Southwest Washington, died of cancer May 14 at his home in Fort Washington.

Mr. Weakland first started working at Blue Plains in the early 1960s when he moved to Washington after living in New Mexico, California and Pennsylvania.

In 1982, he moved to Wisconsin to live closer to relatives. He returned to Washington and his job at Blue Plains in 1986.

Mr. Weakland was a native of Barnesboro, Pa. He served in the Army in Korea during the war there and was an avid outdoorsman.

He was a member of the American Legion and St. Columba Catholic Church in Oxon Hill.

His wife, Charlotte Weakland, died in 1988 after 15 years of marriage.

Survivors include a daughter, Carrie Weakland of Fort Washington.

Ray Walton Goff


Ray Walton Goff, 84, who with his two brothers built houses and managed a motel in Arlington County, died May 12 at a hospital in Sarasota, Fla., after a heart attack. He had cancer.

Mr. Goff, a former Arlington resident, had lived in Sarasota for the past 10 years.

He was born in Hambleton, W.Va., and grew up in Arlington, where he graduated from Washington-Lee High School in 1937.

After serving in the Philippines with the Army during World War II, he attended what is now Strayer University and went into the home construction business with his brothers, Earl and Harold Goff.

They also built the Clarendon Hotel Court on the site of their childhood home near the intersection of Wilson Boulevard and Glebe Road. Mr. Goff helped manage the motel for about 25 years before it was sold in the late 1970s.

His first wife, Clare W. Goff died in 1980 after 34 years of marriage.

Survivors include his wife of 12 years, Dora T. Goff of Sarasota; four daughters from his first marriage, Linda Jenkins of Tampa, Janice Kaplan of Oakton and Debbie Manriquez and Donna Goff, both of Alexandria; two stepchildren, Connie Thomson of Sarasota and Tim Thomson of Beltsville; a sister, Pauline Goff Burnett of Herndon; three grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

Joseph S. Toner

AID Official

Joseph Stanley Toner, 87, who spent about 30 years with what became the U.S. Agency for International Development before retiring in 1979 as director of the mission to Bangladesh, died May 14 at Burke Healthcare Center. He had pneumonia.

One of Mr. Toner's early AID assignments was mission director in Cyprus from 1962 to 1964 -- a time of ethnic violence between Greek and Turkish Cypriots. On Christmas Eve 1963, his driver was executed at a roadblock while driving the official U.S. diplomatic car.

Mr. Toner later served as director of AID's office of personnel administration and was a recipient of AID's Distinguished Career Service Award, the Distinguished Honor Award and the Superior Honor Award.

He was born in Cleveland and raised in Minneapolis, where he went to live with his older sister after his mother's death.

He was a journalism graduate of the University of Minnesota and did graduate work in public administration at Syracuse University.

During World War II, he served in the Army in the South Pacific. His decorations included the Bronze Star.

In the late 1940s, he was a news writer for CBS Radio in Chicago.

He maintained a home in the Washington area since 1950 and permanently settled here after retiring.

He was a resident of Alexandria, where he was a member of Mount Vernon Unitarian Church.

His wife, Rebecca Brown Toner, whom he married in 1949, died in 1997.

Survivors include three sons, John G. Toner of Alexandria, Dr. Eric S. Toner of Baltimore and Andrew W. Toner of Burke; and seven grandchildren.