Ruling's local impact: A U.S. Supreme Court ruling yesterday means that Edward T. Norris, former superintendent of the Maryland State Police, will not be permitted to withdraw the guilty plea he entered in March to a charge of conspiracy to commit fraud.

Under an agreement with federal prosecutors in Baltimore, Norris could have withdrawn the plea if the Supreme Court, ruling in an unrelated case, decided to set new limits on federal jurisdiction. The court instead rejected a challenge to the law extending federal jurisdiction to corruption investigations at local public agencies funded by federal money.

Norris pleaded guilty to the conspiracy count and to filing a false tax return, admitting that he illegally spent thousands of dollars from a Baltimore police fund on gifts, extramarital liaisons and other indulgences. He faces a probable prison sentence of at least six months.

Homicide ruling: Police in Prince George's County said yesterday that they have determined that the death of a man whose body was found after a house fire early Sunday in Temple Hills was a homicide.

Preliminary autopsy results indicate that John A. Kasper, 52, suffered trauma which caused his death, police said. Officers responding to the 4600 block of Weldon Avenue about 1:50 a.m. for the report of a house fire found Kasper's body after firefighters extinguished the flames.



* A 60-year-old Washington man was killed behind a block of homes in Northeast on Sunday night, police said. The man, whose identity was withheld until his family is notified, was found behind the 600 block of Orleans Place NE about 8 p.m. after neighbors reported gunshots.


Criminal mischief: A Fairfax County man who authorities said was found slathered head-to-toe in petroleum jelly was charged with criminal mischief after leaving a Binghamton, N.Y., hotel room that sustained more than $1,000 in damage from the substance, a Binghamton radio station reported.

Roger Chamberlain, 44, of McLean was charged May 9 with criminal mischief, WNBF reported. An attempt to reach Chamberlain by telephone yesterday was not immediately successful.

Compiled from reports by staff writers.