* Alexandria -- Now through Oct. 2. At the Fort Ward
Museum and Historic Site, a benefit raffle for the out-of-print book "Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington," by B.F. Cooling III and Walter H. Owen II. Fee charged. 703-838-4848.
* Frederick -- 11 a.m.-3 p.m. May 22. At the National Museum of Civil War Medicine, a living-history presentation of a Confederate surgeon, portrayed by Jason Grabill. Fee charged. 301-695-1864.
* Alexandria -- 7:30 p.m. May 26. At the Lyceum, talk by Jeff Johnson of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on the USS Monitor, sponsored by the Alexandria Historical Society. Free. 703-549-2997.
* Brandy Station, Va. -- 2 p.m. May 30. At the Graffiti House, talk by Jim Flanagan on "The Horse in the Civil War," sponsored by the Brandy Station Foundation. Fee charged. 540-439-3549.
* Gettysburg, Pa. -- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. June 5. At Gettysburg National Military Park and Soldiers' National Cemetery, a workday for volunteers. Registration required. Fee charged. 717-334-0772.
* Scotland, Md. -- 11a.m. -4 p.m. June 5 and 11 a.m.-3 p.m. June 6. At Point Lookout State Park, the 21st annual living history Blue & Gray Days at the sites of prison of war camps Fort Lincoln and Camp Hoffman, sponsored by the Friends of Point Lookout and the Maryland State Forest and Park Service and hosted by Company E, 20th Regiment, Maine Volunteer Infantry. Free. 301-872-5688.