The May 22 obituary for Maurice Karp incorrectly included his wife, Zelda, among his surviving relatives. She died in 2000. (Published 5/23/04)

William J. Kreher

Navy Lieutenant Commander

William J. Kreher, 86, a retired lieutenant commander in the Navy, died of pulmonary-cardiac arrest April 25 at the Potomac Center nursing home in Arlington.

Lt. Cmdr. Kreher was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and enlisted in the Navy upon high school graduation. He served on carriers, cruisers and destroyers, reaching the rank of chief petty officer. In 1960, he was commissioned a lieutenant commander. He served in various duty stations across the country and retired in 1970 with 30 years of service in the Navy.

After his military retirement, he sold aluminum siding, delivered flowers for Arlington Florist and delivered cars for Dollar rental company.

He was a member of St. James Catholic Church in Falls Church, where he served as a Eucharistic minister for several years. He was the grand knight of the Edward Douglass White Council of the Knights of Columbus in Arlington from 1978 to 1979. He delivered Meals on Wheels for Fairfax Hospital for many years.

His wife of 56 years, Madeline "Merlie" Kreher, died in 1997.

Survivors include three children, William Kreher of Falls Church, Madeline M. McManaway and Geraldine K. Henderson, both of Front Royal, Va.; a sister; a brother; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Agnes Catherine Peitz

Junior High School Teacher

Agnes Catherine Peitz, 103, who taught at Hine Junior High School in the District for 30 years, died May 10 at her home in Britton, S.D. She had heart disease.

Miss Peitz came to Washington from her native North Dakota during the Depression and worked for five years as a secretary at the former Emergency Hospital. From 1940 to 1970, she taught at Hine Junior High in Southeast.

She grew up in Hankinson, N.D., and was a graduate of State Teachers College in Valley City, N.D., now Valley City State University. She received a bachelor's degree from George Washington University and a master's degree from the University of Michigan and did graduate work at Johns Hopkins University and the University of Pennsylvania.

She was active in teachers' organizations and lived in Washington until 1991, when she moved to South Dakota. She never married and never owned a car.

There are no immediate survivors.

Warren A. Bucksell Sr.


Warren A. Bucksell Sr., 88, a retired printer-proofreader at the U.S. Government Printing Office, died of cancer May 8 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Bucksell and Franklin DeLaine were printers at the GPO's patent section in the early 1950s when the nine black printers working there were not allowed to proofread the patents and other work produced by that section. The men challenged the rule and broke the color barrier in that section.

Mr. Bucksell was born in Baton Rouge, La., and received a bachelor's degree in English from Southern University in 1938. At the time, the school required its graduates to have a trade as well as an academic degree, so Mr. Bucksell mastered the linotype machine.

He worked as a foreman in the linotype division of the Houston Informer newspaper chain in Houston, from 1942 to 1947. For the next two years, he worked part time for the Labor News in Houston.

Mr. Bucksell returned to Baton Rouge in 1949, where he was a linotype operator and pressman at the Fraternal Press until 1953.

He moved to Washington that year and joined the Government Printing Office, where he worked until his retirement in 1978.

Mr. Bucksell was a trustee emeritus of Mount Olive Baptist Church in Arlington.

Two sons preceded him in death, Isiah M. "Mike" Bucksell in 1991 and Warren A. Bucksell Jr. in 1996.

Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Rose A. Bucksell of Silver Spring; and a son, Louis Peter Bucksell II of Washington.

Katherine Virginia Haber

Telephone Office Worker

Katherine Virginia Haber, 84, a retired office worker for C&P Telephone Co., died of a brain tumor May 18 at her home in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Haber was born in St. Mary's County and moved to Washington as a child. She graduated from Eastern High School and attended Wilson Teachers College, now part of the University of the District of Columbia.

She worked for the FBI in a clerical position and later worked in her family real estate business, Readmond Real Estate in the District, as a sales agent, for about a decade. Mrs. Haber stopped working outside her home to raise her family. She returned to paid employment at C&P Telephone, where she did administrative work until her retirement in the mid-1970s.

Mrs. Haber enjoyed playing bridge. Hers was one of the original families at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Silver Spring.

William S. Haber, her husband of more than 50 years, died in 2002.

Survivors include three children, William F. Haber of Atlanta, Katherine E. Wright of Reston and James F. Haber of Silver Spring; her mother, Mary Wallace Readmond of Chevy Chase; eight grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Dorothy Elizabeth Knott

White House Correspondence Clerk

Dorothy Elizabeth Knott, 86, a retired White House employee who answered the mail for five presidents, died of congestive heart failure April 28 at the Canterbury Center in Shepherdstown, W.Va.

Miss Knott was born in Bakerton, W.Va., and served in the Navy WAVES as a pharmacist's mate in California during World War II. She went to work as a civilian for the federal government in 1948 as a clerk-typist. She moved to the White House during the Eisenhower administration and stayed into the Ford administration, retiring in 1974 as a correspondence clerk. She left Washington for Harpers Ferry, W.Va., shortly after retirement.

Survivors include two brothers, Harold Knott of Martinsburg, W.Va., and Gordon Knott of Stephens City, Va.

Lucille Mance Dembinski

Army Wife, Retail Sales Buyer

Lucille Mance Dembinski, 71, an Army wife and longtime retail sales buyer and trainer with area Garfinkel's and Macy's department stores, died May 16 of lung cancer at her home in Springfield.

Mrs. Dembinski lived and worked in the Washington area for almost 50 years.

She was born in Pittsburgh and moved to the Washington area in 1953 to attend the University of Maryland. She graduated with a bachelor's degree in 1956 and immediately started at Garfinkel's in the District. She worked in retail sales and, later, as a trainer, assistant store manager and buyer.

She married Mark L. Dembinski in 1958, and the Army couple were stationed in Oklahoma, Washington state, Colorado, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia and Nuremberg, Germany. They settled back in the Washington area in 1971.

Mrs. Dembinski returned to work at Garfinkel's, where she worked until the store closed in 1983. She then went to work with Macy's as a sales trainer and retired in 1994 from the Springfield store.

From 1989 to 2003, she served as an elections officer with the Fairfax County Electoral Board. She also volunteered with the Women's Center in Vienna, where she worked on the information and communications desk.

Survivors include her husband of 46 years, retired Army Col. Mark Dembinski, of Springfield; three daughters, Leslie Dembinski Custer of Washington, Monica Clark of Austin and Tracy Shea of Boston; a sister, Mary Louise Peaks of Oakton; and four grandchildren.

Isabel Manen


Isabel Manen, 91, a former nurse who volunteered with the American Red Cross in the 1970s, died of lung cancer May 3 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She lived in McLean.

Mrs. Manen was born in Argentina and received her nursing degree and training as an X-ray technician there.

She came to the Washington area in 1974 and began volunteering with the Red Cross. She helped expectant Latin American women care for themselves and then for their babies. She assisted the women, who did not speak English, with hygiene, nutrition and other concerns.

Her husband of 37 years, Alberto Manen, died in 1973.

Survivors include three children, Marisa Manus of McLean, Alberto Manen of Reston and Carlos Manen of Ashburn; and four grandchildren.

Maurice Karp

Broadcast Engineer

Maurice Karp, 90, a retired broadcast engineer with the Voice of America who worked on transmitting programs to the Soviet Union during the Cold War, died of cancer May 19 at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda.

Mr. Karp began his 30-year career with the VOA in his native New York in 1950. Earlier, he worked for WNYC, New York's classical music radio station.

When the Voice moved its operation to Washington in 1954, Mr. Karp came along, too.

Mr. Karp, a Bethesda resident, was a World War II Army veteran and former Brooklyn College student.

His avocations included swimming, sketching, reading Shakespeare and playing chess. In the 1970s and '80s, he played a series of long-distance chess matches with a man in Russia. They exchanged a small game board back and forth through the mail.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Zelda Karp of Bethesda; three children, Ronald Karp of Potomac, Paula Karp of Bethesda and Lois Kramer of Bowie; and five grandchildren.

Valeria T. Abbott

Personnel Supervisor

Valeria T. Abbott, 83, a retired personnel supervisor with the Naval Air Facility at Andrews Air Force Base, died May 17 at the Fairfax Nursing Center in Fairfax. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Abbott worked at Andrews for 19 years until 1979. She was also a member of the Officers' Wives Club at Andrews and a Red Cross volunteer at Malcolm Grow Medical Center, located at the base.

The New Philadelphia, Pa., native had lived in Temple Hills for the past 45 years. She graduated from the University of Maryland in 1978.

Mrs. Abbott first moved to Washington in 1941 to work as a clerk/typist at the War Department. She then worked at a War Department facility in Reading, Pa., from 1947 to 1949.

She was an active member of St. Philip's the Apostle Catholic Church in Camp Springs before moving to St. John the Evangelist Church in Clinton, where she volunteered at the church's school.

Her husband, retired Air Force Lt. Glen A. Abbott, died in 1968.

Survivors include two children, Rosemarie Keating of Temple Hills and Glen Joseph Abbott of Bowie; two sisters; and four grandchildren.

Mildred G. Simmons

Government Secretary

Mildred G. Simmons, 80, a retired Agriculture Department secretary, died of cardiovascular disease May 6 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. She lived in Springfield.

Mrs. Simmons, a native of Zion, S.C., moved to Washington in the early 1940s to work as a government secretary. She worked at the Agriculture Department for about 15 years until the late 1960s.

She was a member of St. Bernadette's Catholic Church in Springfield and a former volunteer at Sleepy Hollow Nursing Home in Annandale.

Her husband, Will M. Simmons, died in 1972. They had been married 28 years.

Survivors include two children, Stephen A. Simmons of Fairfax and Susan F. Simmons of Hickory, N.C.; two brothers, Aubrey Gasque of Springfield and Norwood Gasque of Latta, S.C.; two grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Gladys Evelyn Loeb

Foundation Founder

Gladys Evelyn Loeb, 86, a blind woman who started her own foundation to help the blind, died May 16 at her home in Silver Spring. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Loeb was born in Niles, Mich., and moved to the Washington area in 1956. She founded the Gladys E. Loeb Foundation in the 1980s to provide goods and services to the blind, including a food identification and labeling system for blind and partially sighted homemakers.

She also conducted workshops and lectures, and she wrote a resource handbook for the blind.

Mrs. Loeb hosted the "Cooking, Cleaning and Coping" radio program for the blind at the Metropolitan Washington Ear Radio Station for 12 years.

Survivors include her husband of 63 years, Ernest Loeb of Silver Spring; a son, Eric Loeb of Grand Junction, Colo.; a daughter, Cynthia Williams of Burtonsville; and four grandchildren.

Joseph Patrick Creamer

Insurance Agent

Joseph Patrick Creamer, 72, an independent insurance agent in the Washington area for more than 46 years, died of cancer May 19 at his home in Rockville.

Mr. Creamer was a native Washingtonian and a graduate of Gonzaga College High School. He graduated from Benjamin Franklin University in 1956 with an accounting degree.

He began his career in insurance at Indemnity Insurance of North America. He also worked during his early years in the industry at Northwestern Mutual Life, Life Insurance Company of North America, and Bankers Life.

In 1958, Mr. Creamer became an independent insurance agent with Erie Insurance Group in Silver Spring. He later moved his office to Rockville, where his daughter and one of his sons continue to operate the business.

Throughout his life, Mr. Creamer was a volunteer for a number of local organizations, including the Catholic Youth Organization, the Rockville Little Theater and the Rockville Baseball Association. He was also a member of the Knights of Columbus and a golfer.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Betty Harkins Creamer of Rockville; five children, J. Patrick Creamer Jr. of Sandy Spring, Sean Richard Creamer of Olney, Lisa Ann McKeown of Damascus, Brian Christopher Creamer of Rockville and Michael Kevin Creamer of Gaithersburg; a brother, John J. Creamer Jr., and sister, Helene M. Flanagan, both of Rockville; and 12 grandchildren.

Matti J. Edwards

Day-Care Consultant

Matti J. Edwards, 54, a retired day-care consultant, trainer and provider, died of a stroke May 10 at her home in Tampa, where she had moved eight months ago from Washington.

Ms. Edwards was born in Magnolia, Ala., and raised in Coraopolis, Pa. She moved to Washington in 1976 and graduated from Howard University with a bachelor's degree in elementary education. She attended George Washington University and worked as the director of the child development center for the Northwest Settlement House for 20 years.

In the mid-1990s, she started her own businesses, Necessary Tasks, which did consultation and training for day-care providers, and Adventure Clubs, a day-care center.

She was former president of the Washington Association of Child Care Centers and the Washington, D.C., Association for the Education of Young Children. Ms. Edwards was also involved in organizing a neighborhood festival on H Street.

Survivors include her daughter, Earlean Dukart of Tampa; and eight siblings, Fred Edwards and Betty Edwards Harrien, both of Cleveland, Lula Green of Atlanta, Loretta Edwards of Coraopolis, Willie Edwards of Bedford, Ohio, Anita Sanders of Charlotte, Roseline Edwards of Fairfax and Carl Sirju of Washington.

Gene Olive Walsh

Real Estate Agent

Gene Olive Walsh, 79, a retired real estate agent, died of ovarian cancer May 11 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. She was a Sterling resident.

Mrs. Walsh was born in Gassaway, W.Va., and moved to Washington in 1944 to work for the Department of the Army as a cryptographic stenographer. After World War II, she resigned to raise a family. She returned to work as a waitress-manager for Manor Country Club in Rockville and at the Watergate Inn in Washington.

In the late 1970s, she went into real estate sales, working for several companies before retiring in 1988.

She was a 30-year member of the Westwood Country Club in Vienna and was a season ticket holder for the Washington Redskins for more than 20 years. She was also a Baltimore Orioles fan and enjoyed watching professional golf tournaments on television.

Her husband, Joseph V. Walsh, died in 1999.

Survivors include three children, Patrick J. Walsh of Herndon, Debora J. Walsh of Sterling and Alan D. Walsh of Sterling; a brother, Archibald Taylor of Charlestown, W.Va.; two sisters, Florence Kathaleen Taylor McNally of Woodbridge and Flora Janet Taylor Hughes of Reynoldsburg, Ohio; and four grandchildren.

Ashton Venie Thomas

White House Employee

Ashton Venie Thomas, 87, former supervisor for the White House mail, reception and security office, died of lung cancer May 15 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Thomas, who had lived in the District for 75 years, served under Presidents John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson and Richard M. Nixon. He previously worked at the Government Printing Office and the U.S. Postal Service. He retired in 1974.

Mr. Thomas, who was born in Albemarle County, Va., moved to Washington at age 12 and graduated from Armstrong High School and attended the Howard University School of Engineering and Architecture.

He served in World War II as a commissioned Army officer in an antiaircraft artillery unit until his discharge in 1945.

Mr. Thomas had been a member of Peoples Congregational Church since 1959 and served in many church organizations. He also was treasurer of the deacon board.

His marriage to Elizabeth Tucker Jefferson ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of more than 50 years, Lillian M. Thomas of Washington; two sons from his second marriage, Bradley Thomas and Ronald Thomas, both of Washington; two stepchildren, Wilbert Michael Berryman of Upper Marlboro and Carole J.B. Sammons of Decatur, Ga.; five grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; and a great-great-granddaughter.

David Leopold Clement

Missionary, Business Manager

David Leopold Clement, 65, who was a missionary priest in Africa before becoming the business manager for St. Paul's College in Washington, died May 15 of liposarcoma at his home in Hyattsville.

Mr. Clement, who was an ordained priest for a quarter-century, spent almost three decades with Missionaries of Africa, a Catholic organization with offices in Washington. During that time, he spent 13 years in Zaire (present-day Congo), managing projects to produce clean drinking water and to harness solar energy. He supervised the transportation of food and construction materials to remote regions of Zaire and was treasurer of several Roman Catholic dioceses in East Africa. He became proficient in Swahili and several African dialects.

During the balance of his tenure with Missionaries of Africa, Mr. Clement served in Washington and elsewhere in the United States.

From 1989 to 2003, he was business manager for St. Paul's College, a Catholic seminary in Washington. He also worked as a tax preparer for H&R Block and was a member of St. Mark's Catholic Church in Hyattsville.

He was born in Waterford, N.Y., studied for the priesthood in North Africa and was ordained a priest in 1964. He graduated from the Georgetown University School of Foreign Service in 1971. He left the priesthood in the late 1980s.

Survivors include his wife of 11 years, Carol Dorr Clement of Hyattsville; and two brothers.