Robert Parker Hilton Sr.

Navy Rear Admiral

Robert Parker Hilton Sr., 77, a Navy rear admiral who retired in 1983 as vice director for operations on the Joint Chiefs of Staff, died of congestive heart failure April 28 at Goodwin House East in Alexandria, where he had been receiving rehabilitative care for about a week.

Adm. Hilton served 38 years in the Navy, which included command of a destroyer off the coast of Vietnam during the war there. His ship, the USS Davis, was the first vessel to reach the USS Liberty after it was attacked by Israeli aircraft and torpedo boats in the Mediterranean in 1967.

In later assignments, he was assistant chief of staff for logistics at NATO's Allied Forces Southern Command in Naples and deputy assistant chief of staff for plans and policy at Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe in Mons, Belgium.

His postings abroad made Adm. Hilton, who earlier in his career trained as an interpreter in Russian and French, an authority on NATO and its joint operations.

At the Pentagon, he spearheaded the development of a Navy staff office that authored the Navy's maritime strategy for the 1980s.

His decorations included the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, the Navy Distinguished Service Medal, the Defense Superior Service Medal, the Legion of Merit and the Bronze Star.

After retiring from active military duty, Adm. Hilton worked as a consultant at the Institute for Defense Analyses.

Adm. Hilton, who lived in Alexandria, was born in DeKalb County, Ga. He joined the Navy as a seaman at the end of World War II.

He was commissioned an ensign after graduating from the University of Mississippi, where he was enrolled in one of the nation's first NROTC programs.

He received a master's degree in Russian affairs from Georgetown University and other degrees from the Naval War College and the National War College.

He was a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, the Atlantic Council, the U.S. Naval Institute and Phi Delta Theta social fraternity.

He was an avid tennis player whose license plate read "LOW LOB." He was past chairman of the tennis committee at the Army Navy Country Club and a past member of the club's board of governors.

Survivors include his wife, Joan M. Hilton of Alexandria; two children, Robert P. Hilton Jr. of Silver Spring and Wendy M. Hilton of Vienna; and two grandsons.

Kenneth R. Townsend

Episcopal Priest

The Rev. Kenneth R. Townsend, 76, a retired Episcopal priest, died of lung cancer May 9 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He was a Lake Ridge resident.

Mr. Townsend was born in Saragossa, Ala., and enlisted in the Navy during World War II, serving primarily at Pearl Harbor. After his discharge from the Navy, he entered Birmingham-Southern College, where he received his bachelor's degree.

He moved to the Washington area in 1951 and did graduate work in philosophy at American University and worked at the Library of Congress. He received a master of divinity degree from Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria in 1964 and was ordained a priest in the Diocese of Southern Virginia, where he served as rector of Bath Parish in Dinwiddie County. He served the Diocese of East Carolina from 1969 until his retirement in 1990.

He returned to Northern Virginia upon retirement, then went to work for Pitney Bowes as an administrator in the Morrison & Foerster office in the District.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Irene Fogleman Townsend of Lake Ridge; four children, Marietta Irene Wilkinson of Kent, N.Y., Martha Shapard Terault of Lake Ridge, Kenneth R. Townsend Jr. of Burlingame, Calif., and Elizabeth Buchanan Townsend of Alexandria; two brothers, George E. Townsend of Baton Rouge, La., and Donald R. Townsend of Dora, Ala.; two sisters, Ann Young of Greenbelt and Rosa Williams of Houston; and two grandsons.

Caroline Thompson Simmons

Board Member

Caroline Thompson Simmons, 93, who served on the boards of several cultural and educational institutions, died of respiratory failure May 20 at her home in Georgetown.

She was born in Denver and came to Washington in 1913 when her father, Huston Thompson, was named assistant attorney general by newly elected President Woodrow Wilson.

She graduated from the Potomac School and the Madeira School and from Bryn Mawr College magna cum laude in 1931.

After marrying John Farr Simmons, she and her diplomat husband were posted to Mexico, Canada and Brazil. Her husband was then named ambassador to El Salvador and later to Ecuador. He finished his government service after serving in the State Department as chief of protocol.

Mrs. Simmons remained in Washington until her death.

She served as a trustee of Amherst College, the Phillips Collection, the Marpat Foundation, the Washington Home, the Museum of Modern Art, the Foreign Student Service Council, the Washington Opera Society, the National Theatre and the Folger Shakespeare Library, from which she received an award for eminent service in 1986.

She was a member of the Chevy Chase Club, the Sulgrave Club and the Metropolitan Club.

Mrs. Simmons was preceded in death by her husband in 1968 and her sons John Jr. in 1981 and Malcolm in 1993.

Survivors include her son Huston Simmons of Washington; two granddaughters; and one great-grandson.