Jennifer Lynn Kinnahan

Emergency Medical Technician

Jennifer Lynn Kinnahan, 30, a volunteer Kensington medical technician and firefighter, died of a stroke May 19 at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda. She lived in Silver Spring.

Ms. Kinnahan was a native Washingtonian and graduate of Academy of the Holy Cross in Kensington. She attended Montgomery College School of Nursing. For the past 11 years, she volunteered with the Kensington Fire Department. She was also an emergency room technician at Holy Cross Hospital and a technician at Potomac Pediatrics in Kensington.

She was a member of St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church in Silver Spring.

Survivors include her parents, Mike and Carol Kinnahan of Silver Spring; and two brothers, Kevin Kinnahan of Charlottesville and Sean Kinnahan of Silver Spring.

Hazel Virginia Tatelman

Office Administrator

Hazel Virginia Tatelman, 84, who was an office administrator in the Joint Chiefs of Staff office for 23 years until retiring in 1986, died of complications from pneumonia May 13 at her daughter's home in Annandale.

She was born in Norfolk and moved to Washington, where she graduated from Roosevelt High School in 1938 and Strayer Business College in 1940.

After graduation, Mrs. Tatelman worked as an accountant and supervised store managers in the family cleaner business. Her father, Walker D. Howard, founded Howard's Cleaners, with more than 200 locations across Washington and the southeastern United States from the 1930s to the 1960s.

In 1941, she married James L. Jacobson and moved to St. Petersburg, Fla. Her husband died in 1948, and she returned with her two children to the family business.

She married again in 1951 and moved to Arlington County, where she lived in the same house for nearly 30 years. Her husband, car salesman Leon Tatelman, died in 1963.

That year, Mrs. Tatelman began working as an office administrator at the Pentagon in the Joint Chiefs of Staff office. She retired in 1986.

She was a member of Clarendon Baptist Church, where she taught Sunday school and Bible study classes and sang in the choir.

After retirement, Mrs. Tatelman moved to Marietta, Ga., where she became a member and part-time day-care provider at Johnson Ferry Baptist, Eastside Baptist and Sewell Mill Baptist churches, all in Marietta. She also volunteered at the election polls.

In 2002, Mrs. Tatelman moved back to Virginia to live with her daughter, Brenda, while recuperating from a rare tumor.

Survivors include two children from her first marriage, Bonita Jean Mitchell of St. Petersburg and James L. Jacobson of Annandale; two children from her second marriage, Robert Tatelman of Vienna and Brenda Steele of Annandale; nine grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; and four great-great-grandchildren.

Gene Maurice Stanton Sr.

Service Station Owner

Gene Maurice Stanton Sr., 69, who owned and operated the Stanton Texaco Service Station in Morningside for 23 years before selling it in 1970, died of cancer May 22 at his home in Bluefield, W.Va.

The former Morningside resident, who had lived in the Washington area since the early 1950s, managed a Shell service station in Suitland before returning to his native West Virginia in 1972.

In Bluefield, he worked as an attendant at a Chevron station for 23 years until his retirement in 1995.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Willie Mae Stanton of Bluefield; four daughters, Millie Proffitt of Mechanicsville, Va., Brenda Smith of Sophia, W.Va., and Debbie Dalton and Kay Lacy, both of Tazewell, Va.; five sons, John Stanton of Tazewell, Mike Stanton of Gallatin, Tenn., Wayne Stanton of Princeton, W.Va., and Gene Stanton Jr. and Carl Stanton, both of Bluefield; a sister; 18 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.