Charlotte Glidden Moulton

Supreme Court Reporter

Charlotte Glidden Moulton, 91, who chronicled three decades of momentous decisions of the Supreme Court for United Press International, died May 7 at the Goodwin House West retirement home in Falls Church. She had congestive heart failure.

After joining UPI's predecessor, United Press, during World War II, Ms. Moulton began to cover the Supreme Court in 1946, assisting Ruth Gmeiner, who was the first woman to cover the court. After writing about other federal departments for three years, Ms. Moulton became UP's full-time Supreme Court reporter in September 1949.

She covered the landmark Brown v. Board of Education decision, which was handed down 50 years ago this month, declaring segregated public schools unconstitutional. Her news flash, sent out almost instantaneously on the UP wire, alerted America to the court's decision.

In 1973, Ms. Moulton covered the Roe v. Wade decision, which permitted women to have abortions. She also wrote about the Gideon and Miranda cases of the 1960s, in which defendants in criminal cases were guaranteed the right to legal representation; the White House tapes case, which helped lead to the resignation of President Richard M. Nixon; decisions that struck down, and later reinstated, the death penalty; and the University of California v. Bakke decision in 1978 about affirmative action.

Eileen Shanahan, a longtime reporter for the New York Times, said in a 1992 interview for the Women in Journalism project of the Washington Press Club Foundation that Ms. Moulton "humiliated generations of AP reporters by getting it precisely right when others didn't."

Ms. Moulton was born in Dorchester, Mass., and graduated in 1934 from Simmons College in Boston. She was a secretary for a Methodist newspaper in Massachusetts before moving in 1940 to Washington, where she worked in the public relations department of the Department of War, summarizing wartime reports.

She joined United Press as a reporter in 1944 and covered several federal agencies, including the Veterans Administration and the Justice Department. From 1946 to 1949, her beats included the House of Representatives and the Department of Agriculture, before her assignment to the Supreme Court beat.

"I didn't know anything about wire service work," she said in a 1991 interview with Ann S. Kasper for the Women in Journalism project. "I just had to learn it. And the only reason I was able to do that was because men were being called to military service, and they absolutely had to have women. They didn't really want them, you know, but they had to have them."

The chief regret of Ms. Moulton's journalism career was that she was never offered the chance to go overseas as a foreign correspondent. When she retired in 1978, she went on a six-month tour of the world, visiting India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong, China and Australia, among other places.

She was a longtime member of Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington.

There are no immediate survivors.

Walter F. Barney

NASA Computer Chief

Walter F. Barney, 78, NASA's chief of information systems during the Mercury and Apollo space missions, died of cancer May 13 at Montgomery General Hospital.

He worked at NASA at what is now Cape Kennedy from 1960 until 1972.

Mr. Barney was born in Washington and grew up in Jacksonville, Fla. He enlisted in the Navy in 1944 and served two years before receiving a bachelor's degree at Georgia Tech in mechanical engineering in 1949 and a master's degree in 1950. He also earned a master's degree in industrial management from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1964 as part of the Sloan Management program.

After NASA, Mr. Barney came to Washington and worked in computer systems at the departments of Transportation and Energy, completing 20 years of federal government service. He retired from the federal government and worked for private industry as a computer systems consultant until the early 1990s.

He was a resident of Montgomery Village, and after retirement he pursued his lifelong passion of golf. He was a member of the Montgomery Village Golf Club and spent every possible hour on the golf course.

Survivors include his wife of 38 years, Carol Barney of Montgomery Village; two sons, Glen Barney of Campbell, Calif.; and Bruce Barney of Kent Island, Md.; and two grandsons.

Eileen Burke Forde

Administrative Aide

Eileen Burke Forde, 83, an employee for 38 years of the American Psychological Association, died of pneumonia May 22 at Commonwealth Care Facility in Fairfax.

Mrs. Forde was born Ansonia, Conn., and enlisted in the Navy at the outbreak of World War II. Upon discharge, she moved to Washington, and in 1959 she and her family moved to Falls Church.

She worked as an administrative aide with the American Psychological Association until retiring in 1989.

She was a world traveler and enjoyed cooking, horses and her dog. She was a fan of NASCAR and the Redskins.

Her husband of 53 years, Rick Forde, died in 1999.

Survivors include two daughters, Pat Fjord of Waynesboro, Va., and Holly Forde of Falls Church; and a brother.