'The Art of Dancing'
Edgar Degas's statue "The Little Fourteen-Year-Old Dancer" comes to life in the Musee D'Orsay in Paris and explores the art in the museum by imagining herself in the paintings. Features Sarah Beth Dunaway and Ashley Gardiner, Washington Post Excellence in Music and Dance Award finalists, dancing with performers ages 3-18 from Lexington Park's Ballet Caliente Classical School of Dance. Two performances: 7 p.m. tomorrow and Saturday at the Patuxent High School Auditorium, 12485 Rousby Hall Rd., Lusby. Tickets are $12 at the door. 301-997-0439.
Memorial Day Weekend
Organizers expect about 5,000 Southern Maryland bikers to gather at the fairgrounds in La Plata for the annual "Fire Up and Thundr Out" rally, a weekend-long salute to active and veteran service members. The rally features live entertainment; a show of custom American and import bikes, cars, sport-utility vehicles and trucks; arm wrestling contests; food vendors; and a "Rolling Thunder" parade Sunday to the Pentagon, where tens of thousands of bikers are expected for Memorial Day services and tributes. A one-day pass at the fairgrounds is $12; a weekend pass, which includes shower and camping privileges, is $30. Overnight campers and recreational vehicles add $10 to the cost of the pass. Children 12 and younger accompanied by a paying adult get in free. For more information, call 301-257-6088. A detailed schedule of events for "Fire Up and Thundr Out" is available at www.fireupthundrout.com.
Other activities planned for the Memorial Day weekend in Southern Maryland:
* 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, Memorial Day Outdoor Antique Market with furniture, china, quilts, glassware and collectibles from Southern Maryland estates. Southern Maryland Antique Center, Route 4 south, Huntingtown. 301-855-6865.
* Noon, Sunday. Col. Donald Wade of the Air Force is guest speaker. A free lunch follows his talk. VFW Post 10081, Crain Hwy., Bel Alton. 301-934-8271.
* 9 a.m. Monday. Memorial Day Parade. Dedicated to World War II veterans and hosted by the American Legion Post and Auxiliary Unit 255. The parade forms at St. Michael's School and starts at 10 a.m. down Route 235 to the Legion Hall where a wreath laying ceremony will be held and refreshments served. American Legion Post 255, 13390 Point Lookout Rd., Ridge. 301-872-5201.
* 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday. Memorial Day at the Park. Pack a picnic lunch and enjoy riverside hikes and woodland trails. Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum, 10115 Mackall Rd., St. Leonard. 410-586-8501 or www.jefpat.org.
* 11 a.m. Monday. Capt. Tom Bortmes, commander of the Office of Naval Intelligence, is the guest speaker at La Plata's ceremony to honor those who have served the nation. Other activities include a performance by the Port Tobacco Player Encore Kids, a wreath laying, roll call of names, free hot dogs, lemonade and American flags. La Plata Town Hall, 5 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-8421.