Doctor gets 18 months: A McLean doctor involved in a federal probe into abuse of OxyContin and other pain-relieving drugs and charged with setting a fire in his own office has been sentenced to 18 months in prison for health care fraud.

Hazem S. Garada, 40, who practices internal medicine, was indicted by a federal grand jury in December in connection with the fire that destroyed records sought by medical investigators. When he pleaded guilty in March to health care fraud, prosecutors dismissed the arson charge, said Paul J. McNulty, the U.S. attorney in Alexandria. Federal officials have been seeking records from Garada in connection with a wide-ranging probe into abuse of OxyContin, a potent painkiller that is hailed as a miracle drug by cancer patients and others but whose potential for abuse and overdose is decried by officials.

U.S. District Chief Judge Claude M. Hilton, in sentencing Garada yesterday, ordered him to pay $190,000 in restitution to health care providers he defrauded through his billing practices and to surrender his medical license.

Woman's body found: The bloodied body of a woman was found in the parking lot of a scenic overlook on George Washington Memorial Parkway yesterday, and U.S. Park Police said they are investigating the case as a homicide.

The woman was identified as Roslyn Whitehead, 47, who lived in Arlington but had no fixed address. Police said she had been stabbed.

Police said a motorist spotted the body about 5:45 a.m. in the overlook on the northbound lanes of the parkway in Arlington, just after the Spout Run exit.

Lt. Michael Downs said it appeared that the victim, a black woman 30 to 40 years old, had suffered blunt force trauma to her upper body, but he declined to be more specific. No cause of death was available yesterday.


Sex assault near park: A 38-year-old woman was raped May 28 near Rock Creek Park in the Wheaton area, Montgomery County police said.

Police said the woman was attacked on a footpath in a wooded area near University Boulevard and Arcola Road.

The assailant was described as about 25, 5 feet 6 inches and 150 pounds and with the number 13 tattooed on his right index finger.

Compiled from reports by staff writers.