Marguerite Norris Murphy

Community Activist

Marguerite Norris Murphy, 88, past president of the Washington Club, a women's service organization, died of respiratory failure June 3 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Murphy was born in Washington and grew up in Chevy Chase. She graduated from St. Mary's Female Seminary Junior College, now St. Mary's College of Maryland.

She enrolled at the University of Maryland for a time and later received a bachelor's degree from George Washington University, where she also studied law.

During and shortly after World War II, Mrs. Murphy did administrative work for the Government Accounting Office and volunteered as a Gray Lady for the American Red Cross.

In the 1960s, she was a volunteer for the Women's Auxiliary of the Salvation Army and for Goodwill Industries. She also drove critically ill children to doctor's appointments as a volunteer for the Christ Child Society.

Mrs. Murphy belonged to the Inner Wheel of the Rotary Club and served on the board of directors of the Welcome to Washington Club, the Spanish/Portuguese Language Study Group and the Capital Speakers Club.

She helped start a garden club in the Sumner community in Bethesda, where she lived for nearly 50 years, and she served as a Montgomery County election judge.

Mrs. Murphy, who lived at the Grand Oaks Assisted Living Community in the District at the time of her death, was a member of Kenwood Golf & Country Club, the Roman Catholic Church of the Little Flower and the Kappa Kappa Gamma social sorority.

Her husband of 66 years, Maurice Murphy, retired chief executive of the Washington Area New Automobile Dealers Association, died in May. Survivors include two children, Rosemary Walsh of Rockville and Gerard Murphy of North Potomac; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

John Greenwood

Optometrist and Freemason

John Greenwood, 81, a longtime Washington optometrist and a prominent Freemason, died of cancer May 27 at a daughter's home in Mesa, Ariz.

Dr. Greenwood practiced optometry in Washington for more than 36 years and was a past president of the Optometric Society of the District of Columbia. He served as president of the Board of Examiners in Optometry and was a past president of the International Association of Boards of Examiners in Optometry.

In 1968 and 1970, the Optometric Society named him "Optometrist of the Year." Dr. Greenwood was born in Altenburg, Germany, and came to the United States as a refugee after the Nazis came to power. He received his doctorate from the Illinois College of Optometry in 1952 and a master's degree in forensic science from the Graduate School of the George Washington University.

He became a Freemason in Washington in 1953, and he served in leadership positions in Freemason lodges. He helped to found the Research Lodge of Washington. For more than 25 years, he was chairman of the Committee on Masonic Recognition and Correspondence. For several years, he was a grand lodge officer, and he was awarded the title of grand chaplain emeritus.

He was especially proud of his involvement with Freemasonry in Israel, where he was a grand representative, honorary grand director of ceremonies and emeritus member of honor of the Israeli Scottish Rite. In 1990, he was awarded the Washington, D.C., Grand Lodge Distinguished Service Medal, the highest award in his grand lodge.

For more than 30 years, he was a member of the Scottish Rite, and in 1991, he was awarded the title of 33rd degree Mason.

He lived in Silver Spring before moving to Arizona in 2002. Survivors include his wife, Elsie Greenwood of Mesa; three daughters, Debbie Greenwood of Mesa; Judith Meservey of Lake Villa, Ill., and Lucy Wright of Nashville; and eight grandchildren.

Sih-Chuen Liu


Sih-Chuen Liu, 89, who cooked for U.S. forces in World War II and later owned a restaurant in Langley, died June 1 of congestive heart failure at Washington Adventist Hospital. He had lived in Silver Spring since 1970.

Mr. Liu immigrated to the Washington area in 1954 and worked in several Chinese restaurants before opening his own, Lang Lin, in Langley Park. He operated the restaurant for 12 years, putting all five of his children through the University of Maryland, before retiring in 1981.

He was born in Jiangsu, China, and trained as a cook in the nightclubs and restaurants of Shanghai in the 1930s. He joined the Chinese army as a cook in 1937 and was later assigned to the staff of U.S. Navy Adm. Milton E. Miles in China. He cooked for American units during World War II and, as a member of the Chinese army, was occasionally asked to take up arms in the war against Japan.

After the war, Mr. Liu worked as a cook aboard merchant ships. His steamer was docked in Hong Kong in 1949 when he learned of the Communist takeover of China and jumped ship. His wife and three oldest children were smuggled out of China in 1951 and settled in Taiwan. In 1954, they made their way to the United States.

His wife of 63 years, Ai-Chen Liu, died in 1998.

Survivors include two sons, Hung-Kai Liu of Potomac and Hung-Hsi Liu of Gaithersburg; three daughters, Fong-Ying King of Gaithersburg, Wei-Ying Lock of Rockville and Tai-Yin Landis of Columbia; and eight grandchildren.

Katharine Bean Tucker

Social Worker

Katharine Bean Tucker, 95, a social worker who retired in 1973 after working more than 10 years for the Hospital Council of the National Capital Area, died June 2 of complications from coronary artery disease at her home in Arlington.

Mrs. Tucker, who lived in Arlington since 1960, was born in Roanoke. The daughter of a Methodist minister, she grew up in a number of cities and towns. She graduated from Randolph Macon Woman's College in Lynchburg, Va., where she was a member of Alpha Omicron Pi social sorority.

She began her career as a social worker in the 1930s, working for a welfare agency and the Red Cross in Baltimore.

She was a member of the Westminster Presbyterian Church in Alexandria and the Aurora Hills Women's Club.

Her husband, William Randolph "Randy" Tucker, died in 1960.

Survivors include three children, Henry Herbert Sanderson Tucker of Arlington, Edward Cary Tucker of Sacramento, Calif., and Susan Tucker Brown of Shepherdstown, W.Va.; a sister; and five grandchildren.

Walter Roy Edgington

Marketing Executive

Walter Roy Edgington, 79, a Springfield resident who retired in the late 1980s as vice president of marketing for GTE Government Systems, died of cardiac arrest May 30 at a relative's home in Hanover, Ontario, Canada.

Mr. Edgington had been a civilian Army intelligence analyst before joining GTE in the late 1960s. He rose through GTE's managerial and executive ranks in California and New Jersey before joining the corporation's office in Roslyn in 1972.

Born in Guthrie Center, Iowa, and raised in Modesto, Calif., he served in the Army during World War II and was in Japan with the Allied occupation forces after the war. He served in the Army Reserves, attaining the rank of colonel.

Mr. Edgington graduated from Georgetown University. He was a member of St. Bernadette's Catholic Church in Springfield.

His wife of 53 years, Florence Edgington, died in 2002.

Survivors include two children, Eric Edgington of McLean and Bruce Edgington of Fairfax Station; a sister; and four grandchildren.