The following free programs will be held at Haven of Northern Virginia, 4606 Ravensworth Rd., Annandale. For more information, call 703-941-7000 or visit www.havenofnova.org.
* General bereavement support group, 7:30-9 p.m. Wednesday.
* Suicide survivors bereavement support group, 2-3:30 p.m. next Thursday.
Caregivers symposium, sponsored by Mount Pleasant Baptist Church; licensed professionals from the D.C. Caregivers Institute, the Fairfax Area Agency on Aging, Holy Cross Hospital and Thomas House retirement community will provide information on the plight of the caregiver, 8 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Saturday, Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, 6477 Lincolnia Rd., Alexandria. Free. For more information, call 703-256-1268.
Complementary and alternative health care open house, sponsored by the Falls Church Caring Center in celebration of its one-year anniversary, 7-9 p.m. today at the center, 100 N. Washington St., Suite 307, Falls Church. Tour the facility and meet the therapists who are certified in various techniques including craniosacral therapy, Reiki, therapeutic touch, healing touch and reflexology. For more information, call 703-241-0128.
Qi Gong, a three-week series on the ancient healing art combining gentle movement, deep breathing and meditation to improve physical and emotional health, 7-9 p.m. Monday and June 21 and 28. Dress comfortably. Life With Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Merrifield. Preregistration required. 703-698-2841.
Writing to Wellness, use the healing power of writing to express thoughts and emotions with poetry therapist Ingrid Tegner, 10:30 a.m.-noon Wednesday, Life With Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Merrifield. Preregistration required. 703-698-2841.
Addictions recovery group, a 12-step, Christ-centered regeneration and recovery group emphasizing mental, physical, spiritual and emotional recovery patterned after Alcoholics Anonymous. The group meets at 7 p.m. Mondays, Vienna Seventh-day Adventist Church, 344 Courthouse Rd. SW, Vienna. For more information, call 703-938-8383.
The following groups for adults diagnosed with seizure disorders and caregivers are sponsored by the Epilepsy Foundation of the Chesapeake Region. For more information, call 703-425-6660.
* Reston group, 7-8:30 p.m. tomorrow, Hunter Mill District Office, North County Government Center, 12000 Bowman Towne Dr.
* Northern Virginia group, 7-8 p.m. Wednesdays, Falls Church High School, Room 100, 7521 Jaguar Trail, Falls Church.
The following groups are held at Life With Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Merrifield. Preregistration required. 703-698-2841.
* Leukemia group, 7-9 p.m. today.
* CanSurvive, a drop-in general cancer support group, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Thursdays.
* Couples workshop, discussion, exercises and support to help with difficult times when a partner is diagnosed with cancer, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday.
* Young adult group, ages 18 to thirty-something discuss sexuality, dating, body image, work and health insurance concerns, cancer treatment side effects, fears of recurrence and sustaining a normal lifestyle, 7:30-9 p.m. Tuesday.
* Multiple myeloma group, 11:45 a.m.-1:15 p.m. Tuesday.
* Lung cancer group, managing side effects, 5:30-7 p.m. .
Prostate cancer support group, for patients and their loved ones, 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Inova Alexandria Hospital, Cancer Center waiting room, 4320 Seminary Rd., Alexandria. Preregistration required. 703-698-2841.
-- Compiled by JEAN MACK
To Submit an Item
Mail: Health Notes, Fairfax Extra, The Washington Post, 4020 University Dr., Suite 220, Fairfax, Va. 22030
Details: Items, which are published weekly on a space-available basis, are accepted from public and nonprofit groups and must be received at least 14 days before the publication date. Include event name, dates, times, street address, cost and publishable contact phone number.