Joyce N. Hershey


Joyce N. Hershey, 60, a researcher at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, died May 21 at the Hospice of Washington. She had lung cancer.

Mrs. Hershey, who was born in Vallejo, Calif., graduated from the University of California at Berkeley and moved to New York City, where she worked first at the national headquarters of the Lutheran Church in America and subsequently as a research assistant at the New York University School of Medicine.

After working in the kidney function clinic at Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt, Germany, she married and moved to Chevy Chase in 1976.

Mrs. Hershey served as secretary for North Chevy Chase Christian Church before beginning work in 1989 as a research technician in allergy and immunology at Walter Reed. She won numerous civilian awards for outstanding performance.

She was a member of St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Washington, serving as council president, Sunday school superintendent and founder-director of the bell choir.

Survivors include her husband, Robert D. Hershey Jr. of Chevy Chase; four children, Kendra Hershey of Folsom, Calif., Robert Hershey of Lanham, Jeannine Hershey of Oakland, Calif., and Mary Jane Hershey of Takoma Park; and a sister.

Dickson Yates

Gallery Owner

Dickson Yates, 85, the retired owner of the Dickson Gallery in Georgetown and assistant editor of the Georgetowner, died of a stroke June 2 at Prince William Hospital in Manassas.

Mr. Yates was born in Baltimore and moved to Washington 55 years ago. He retired in 1986 and moved to Manassas.

Survivors include his wife, Nell Yates of Manassas, and his sister, Maida Wright of Frederick.

Erwin Paul Vollmer


Erwin Paul Vollmer, 98, a retired supervisory physiologist and endocrinologist with the National Cancer Institute, died of aspiration pneumonia May 13 at Suburban Hospital.

Dr. Vollmer worked at the National Cancer Institute for more than 20 years, beginning in 1957. During his career, he served as executive secretary of a breast cancer task force and allocated grant money for research projects.

In retirement, he volunteered at the D.C. Institute of Mental Hygiene and participated in community affairs in Chevy Chase, where he had lived since 1947. He helped organize preservation efforts to stem development in Chevy Chase and supported construction of the Leland Community Center.

Dr. Vollmer was a native of New York and a graduate of Dartmouth College. He received a master's degree and doctorate in biology from New York University.

He taught biology at New York University and Brooklyn College before serving in the Navy during World War II.

From 1948 to 1957, he was head of the endocrinology branch of the Naval Medical Research Institute in Bethesda.

His wife, Aline Fruhauf Vollmer, died in 1978, and their daughter Susan Vollmer Forthman died in 1997.

Survivors include a daughter, Deborah A. Vollmer of Chevy Chase; a brother; and two grandsons.

Richard Atwater Weber

Government Geodesist

Richard Atwater Weber, 69, a geodesist for the Defense Mapping Agency from the mid-1950s to 1990 who surveyed the United States and Middle East, died June 7 at Washington Hospital Center. He had diabetes and heart disease.

Mr. Weber, a Fairfax resident, was born in Elmira, N.Y., and raised in Arlington. He was a 1952 graduate of the Capitol Page School.

He earned credits to become a geodesist through a program run by George Washington University and the Agriculture Department.

His memberships included St. Matthew's United Methodist Church in Annandale and the Antique Automobile Club of America.

His marriage to Marion Weber ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 39 years, Joanne Monroe Weber of Fairfax; a daughter from his second marriage, Jennifer W. McCoy of Phoenix; a brother, Robert L. Weber of Arlington; and two grandchildren.

Lee Morgan

Navy Department Engineer

Lee Morgan, 88, an engineer who worked for the Navy Department from the late 1930s to 1976, died June 7 at Holy Cross Hospital. He had a cerebral hemorrhage.

Mr. Morgan, a Silver Spring resident, retired from the Navy Department as the technical director of avionics at the Naval Air Systems Command. He was responsible for the design and testing of rocket launching systems and contributed to the design of elements used in missions to the moon.

A native Washingtonian, he was a graduate of McKinley Technical High School and a 1937 mechanical engineering graduate of the University of Maryland.

He served as a Navy pilot in the Pacific during World War II.

Survivors include his wife of 64 years, Katharine Hardy Morgan of Silver Spring; two children, Dr. Morgan Morgan of Atlanta and Leslie Christiansen of Olney; and three granddaughters.