Felix D. 'Phil' Paolucci


Felix D. "Phil" Paolucci, 80, a retired physician who practiced medicine and surgery primarily at Washington's Providence Hospital for more than 30 years, died June 6 of complications from cancer at his home in Hyattsville.

Dr. Paolucci held several positions at Providence from 1947 to 1990. He was senior attending surgeon from 1954 to 1986, when he officially retired. He was chief of clinical services in the Department of Surgery from 1975 to 1981, and from 1973 to 1990, he worked part time as director of employee health.

He was licensed in the District, Maryland, Virginia and Delaware, and was a consultant to the Veterans Administration Medical Center of Washington.

Dr. Paolucci was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and graduated from St. Francis College there in 1943. After serving in the Navy from 1943 to 1946, he graduated cum laude from Georgetown University School of Medicine in 1947. He served his internship at Providence Hospital.

Dr. Paolucci maintained a surgical practice in the Washington area from 1954 to 1986. He was a fellow of the American College of Surgeons, a diplomate of the American Board of Surgery, a member of the Washington Academy of Surgery and served as president of the medical staff of Providence Hospital.

His hobbies included fishing, hunting and spending time on his computer. He was an accomplished pianist and guitarist.

His wife of 50 years, Geneva B. Paolucci, died in 1997.

Survivors include 12 children, Rita Anne Sorge and Robert Paolucci, both of Beltsville; Jean Clare Ahmad of Potomac; Daniel Paolucci of California, Md., William Paolucci of Hyattsville, David Paolucci of Upper Marlboro, Kathryn Paolucci of Bowie, Patricia Winkler of Davidsonville, Pamela Geier of Ellicott City, Michael Paolucci of Owings, Phillip Joseph Paolucci of Kensington and Tina Paolucci of Richmond; a sister; 23 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Celeste DuBose

Longtime Resident

Celeste DuBose, 82, a longtime Washington and Petworth neighborhood resident who was a confidante of area youth, died June 3 at a relative's home in Birmingham. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. DuBose was known for enjoying the unobstructed view of the neighborhood from her long front porch on Georgia Avenue NW. She was known as Ma to scores of children from the area, listening to them with sincerity and compassion, said daughter-in-law YaVonne DuBose. Mrs. DuBose also welcomed the young men on breaks from their work for the nonprofit Pride Inc. to her back yard and garage, where she gave them haircuts.

She was a patron of many local businesses and the D.C. Farmers Market on Fifth Street NE. When praised for her southern cooking, she always credited the quality of the meats and produce she bought from those merchants.

She was born in Emporia, Va., and moved to Washington before World War II. She met and married Moses DuBose and settled down to raise a family, first in Georgetown and then, after 1963, in Petworth.

Her husband of 44 years died in 1991.

Survivors include five children, Lutrell DuBose, Eric DuBose, Erwin DuBose and Moses DuBose II, all of Washington, and Toni Baskin of Birmingham; nine grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Richard F. Gaver


Richard Fleming Gaver, 51, a former Reston resident and area mechanic who owned Reston Automotive from the late 1980s to mid-1990s, was found dead June 5 at his home in Anchorage.

The Alaska medical examiner said the cause of death was asphyxia through inhalation of products of combustion, and he ruled it a suicide. Mr. Gaver had clinical depression, a brother said.

Mr. Gaver, the son of an Army officer, was born at Fort Bliss, Tex., and raised in California and Reston. He was a 1971 graduate of Herndon High School and attended Old Dominion University and Virginia Tech.

He worked as a mechanic at area auto shops before starting his business. In the late 1990s, he worked with the ground crew for Continental and United airlines at Dulles International Airport.

In 1998, he packed a tool kit in his truck and began a journey to Alaska. He stopped for weeks or months to work and live in towns that intrigued him.

His hobbies included photography and visiting Civil War battlefields.

Survivors include a sister, Elizabeth A. Gaver of Reston; and two brothers, Michael P. Gaver of Reston and Stanley B. Gaver of McLean.

Durstyne W. McClintick

IRS Appeals Officer

Durstyne Williamson McClintick, 83, who worked for the Internal Revenue Service from 1941 to 1976 and retired as an appeals officer, died June 10 at the Capital Hospice in Arlington. She had cancer.

Mrs. McClintick worked for the IRS in Chicago, Birmingham and Atlanta before settling in the Washington area in 1973. She lived in the District.

She was a native of Nacogdoches County, Tex., and a 1968 graduate of Georgia State University. She had received a certificate as a certified public accountant in 1956.

She did volunteer work for the Democratic Party.

Her husband of 23 years, Dwight S. McClintick, died in 1996.

Survivors include a stepdaughter, Kay Lynne Fehr of Prairie Village, Kan.; two sisters; three grandsons; and five great-grandchildren.

Sariem Chin

USDA Employee

Sariem Chin, 70, who negotiated contracts for USDA on shipping agricultural products to and from foreign ports, died of cancer June 2 at his home in Arlington.

Mr. Chin was born in Sanlong, Cambodia, and received bachelor's and master's degrees in business administration from Laval University in Quebec in 1960. He moved to the Washington area in 1982 and went to work at the U.S. Department of Agriculture. He was a traffic management specialist there at the time of his death.

Mr. Chin enjoyed fishing, boating and beach-going. He was a member of the Cambodian Buddhist Temple in Silver Spring.

Survivors include his wife, Ratana Chin of Arlington; two daughters, Viliya Chin of Falls Church and Ronida Lear of Alexandria; and a son, Sothara Chin of Arlington.

James Peter Holihan

Senior Economist

James Peter Holihan, 59, a senior economist with the Energy Department since the mid-1970s, died of a pulmonary embolism May 23 at Virginia Medical Center-Arlington.

Mr. Holihan specialized in renewable energies at the department's Energy Information Administration. He wrote papers and gave speeches on such alternative sources of energy as photovoltaic energy or converting sunlight directly into electricity.

Before joining the Energy Department in the mid-1970s, he was an economist at the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Council on Price Controls.

Mr. Holihan was born in Lawrence, Mass., and grew up in Andover, Mass. He spent his summers in Rye Beach, N.H., surrounded by his parents, numerous aunts, uncles and cousins. His family owned Diamond Spring Brewery in Lawrence.

He graduated from Georgetown University's business school in 1968. He was co-captain of the swim team and swam the butterfly in the East Coast junior championships. While at Georgetown, he volunteered at Georgetown University Hospital, reading to young pediatric patients.

Mr. Holihan had lived in the Washington area since 1963, residing mostly in Georgetown. He moved to Arlington about two years ago.

He enjoyed swimming, sailing and New England beaches.

Survivors include his wife, Adalien de Korver-Holihan, of Arlington.

Angela Marie Vecchi Cahn

Systems Analyst

Angela Marie Vecchi Cahn, 71, a retired systems analyst, died of lung cancer June 6 at her home in Wicomico Church, Va.

Mrs. Cahn was born in Canandaigua, N.Y., and graduated from Russell Sage College in Troy, N.Y. She married her college sweetheart, Robert Arnold Cahn, and lived abroad while her husband worked for the U.S. Agency for International Development.

While in Seoul, Mrs. Cahn was the cultural chairman of the American Women's Club. In Bangkok, she was president of the American Women's Club of Thailand, during which time she managed the operations and activities of a 500-member organization. She oversaw a program geared toward the social well-being of Americans there and developed an orientation for U.S.-bound Vietnamese, Laotian and Cambodian refugees.

Mrs. Cahn was the first family liaison officer for the U.S. Embassy in Thailand. She was chairman of the board of the International Social and Recreation Club during its inaugural period.

The family returned to the United States in 1978, and Mrs. Cahn began a career with TRW. She was an employee benefits processor, a personnel specialist, an administrative assistant and financial documentation coordinator. After she received an advanced certificate in procurement and contract management from the University of Virginia, she became a systems analyst for naval ship acquisition and participated in ship acceptance trials.

She retired in the early 1990s and moved to Virginia's Northern Neck. She was a master gardener, a member of the Significant Seven Book Club, a reading partner with the Northumberland Elementary School and a member of the Audubon Society of the Northern Neck.

Survivors include her husband of 49 years, Robert, of Wicomico Church; three daughters, Andrea Cahn of Alexandria, Tracy Gillespie of Louisa, Va., and Adele Fischer of Midlothian, Va.; a son, Jeffrey Cahn; two sisters; a brother; and a granddaughter.

William C. 'Butch' Reinke

Computer Administrator

William C. "Butch" Reinke, 58, executive director of project management at the University of Maryland's Office of Information Technology, died May 27 of a brain tumor at his home in Laurel.

Mr. Reinke was born in Refugio, Tex., and received a bachelor's degree from what was then Texas Lutheran College and a master's degree in computer science from Texas A&M University in 1972.

He taught high school math in Texas and did electronic data processing at Odessa College. After he received his master's degree, he worked for the data processing center at Texas A&M. In 1984, he became director of the Administrative Computer Center at Maryland.

When the university reorganized its computer operations, Mr. Reinke became executive director of operations and enterprise applications at the new Office of Information Technology and later became the executive director of project management in that office.

He was an avid sports fan who enjoyed helping coach his son's teams, playing handball and watching football and basketball. When his son attended the College of William and Mary, Mr. Reinke went to Williamsburg once a year to cook a Tex-Mex meal for 40 college men. He also enjoyed playing bridge, listening to music and reading.

Survivors include his wife of 37 years, Vicky Hallemann Reinke of Laurel; a son, Brett A. Reinke of Los Angeles; a brother; and a sister.

Jason Daniel Loy

Computer Field Engineer

Jason Daniel Loy, 28, a computer field engineer, died June 4 at Elizabeth Furnace Recreation Area in Shenandoah County, Va. He was a Fairfax City resident.

The Fairfax County coroner ruled his death a suicide by drowning.

Mr. Loy was born in Fairfax and graduated from James W. Robinson Jr. High School in 1994 and from Penn State University in 2000, with degrees in physics, mathematics and computer science.

He worked for Matrics Inc. in Columbia, a developer of radio frequency identification technologies and systems, used in inventory control. He had been a volunteer girls' youth soccer coach from 1990 to 1994 in Fairfax.

Mr. Loy died three weeks before he had planned to announce his engagement to Rachel Leahy of Alexandria.

Survivors include his mother, Donna Loy of West Lawn, Pa.; his father, Ronald Loy of Chantilly; his stepmother, Marguerite Jennell of Chantilly; and a sister, Jessica Carey-Loy of West Lawn.

Eugene R. Schelp

State Department, USIA Official

Eugene R. Schelp, 86, a retired official with the State Department and the U.S. Information Agency for 35 years, died of bone marrow failure June 9 at the Springhouse assisted living retirement home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Schelp was born in Quincy, Ill., and attended the University of Illinois. During World War II, he served in the Navy as an amphibious seaplane pilot in the Pacific theater.

He moved to Washington in 1947 and graduated from the Georgetown University School of Foreign Service in 1949. He then joined the Department of State, later moving to USIA. His responsibilities included Foreign Service personnel, international conferences and cultural exchange tours abroad for American performing artists. He also arranged programs for international visitors to the United States. He retired in 1984.

He was a member of Church of the Annunciation in the District and the Diplomatic and Consular Officers, Retired's Bacon House. Earlier in his retirement, he volunteered at Washington National Cathedral, Meals on Wheels and the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

His first wife, Marian Franke Schelp, died in 1952. His marriage to Anita D. Schelp ended in divorce, as did a later marriage to Virginia S. Wilcox.

Survivors include three sons from his second marriage, John Schelp of Durham, N.C., Michael Schelp of Irvington, N.Y., and Paul Schelp of Kensington; and seven grandchildren.

Regina Jeannette Smith

Realtor, Florist

Regina Jeannette "Jeanne" Smith, 83, a self-made businesswoman who had several careers, most recently working as a real estate agent in Centreville, died of congestive heart failure May 26 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. She lived in Fairfax City.

Mrs. Smith was born in Altoona, Pa., and lived in Cumberland, Md., before moving to the Washington area in the early 1920s.

She flew a mail plane during World War II, managed a candy store, trained in nursing and, from about 1945 to 1956, worked at Union Station as an information and reservation clerk.

She then sold Niagara massage chairs and baby equipment, taught organ and voice in a D.C. music studio and helped run Master's Touch Creations Florist & Gifts in Merrifield. She owned and operated the gift and floral shop with her children for more than 20 years until it was sold in 1992.

In recent years, she worked as a real estate agent for Jobin Realty in Centreville. She also served as a choral and choir director while attending Fellowship Baptist Church in Oakton and Fairfax Baptist Church.

Her marriage to William Evans Smith ended in divorce.

Survivors include her twin children, Bill Smith of Annandale and Sondra L. Keys of Myrtle Beach, S.C.; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.