Numbers in parentheses correspond to location numbers in Location Key.
ANGELS HAVE WHEELS
Medicare recipients who suffer from arthritis, cardiovascular disease and respiratory disorders and have difficulty walking or using a standard wheelchair may be eligible for an electric wheelchair. For more information, call Gregory Coleman at 800-810-2877.
ASK A NURSE
A registered nurse will answer questions and conduct cholesterol and blood pressure screenings 9 a.m.-1 p.m. July 2, St. Mary's Medical Center at Charlotte Hall and the St. Mary's County Department of Social Services in Lexington Park, and 9 a.m.-1 p.m. July 9 at the Health Connections Center at St. Mary's Hospital (13). Free. 301-475-6019.
CANCER AWARENESS DAY
Screenings for prostate, breast and skin cancers. Colon cancer take-home kits available. Screenings on first-come, first-served basis. 9 a.m.-noon July 10, St. Mary's Hospital (13) in the outpatient surgery area. Call to register.
BLOOD PRESSURE SCREENING
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers screenings 11 a.m.-1 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month. No appointment needed. Free. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
* Civista Medical Center (8) offers screenings 1-3 p.m. the first and third Mondays of each month in La Plata or the second Monday of the month in Bryans Road. Free.
* Calvert Pines Senior Center (2) offers screenings 11 a.m.-noon the first and third Thursdays of each month. Free.
* North Beach Senior Center (12) offers screenings 10-11 a.m. the first Friday of each month. Free.
COLORECTAL CANCER SCREENING PROGRAM
Information about risk factors, signs and symptoms, screening guidelines, prevention strategies and free home screening test kits. Presentations on screenings and free test kits are available for your organization. Call 410-414-4775 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4775.
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers whole-body scans, including specialized heart scans that provide a detailed look inside the coronary arteries and the heart. Call 410-414-4782.
LOOK GOOD, FEEL BETTER
* A program designed by the American Cancer Society to help female patients cope with hair loss and skin damage during treatment. 10 a.m.-noon July 17, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Free.
* A program offered by St. Mary's Hospital (13) for cancer patients in any stage of the diagnosis or treatment. 6:30-8:30 p.m. July 14. Call 301-475-6070 to register.
WOMEN IN TRANSITION:
REVISING OUR GOALS
Addresses issues such as changing family structure, entering or leaving the workforce, changes in health and wellness, balancing home, work and friendship. Facilitator is Molli M. Thorn. 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Four sessions, $100; one session, $30.
Treat depression, anxiety, migraines, nausea, infertility and more. Call Healthy Alternatives at Calvert Memorial Hospital, 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
* Offered by the American Red Cross. Community first aid, safety, and CPR and certification. Learn general first aid and CPR for adults, infants and children. 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. July 24, Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4). $49.
* Basic Life Support Heartsave CPR offered by the American Heart Association. 9 a.m.-3 p.m. July 3 or Aug. 7, Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4). $39.
* Offered by the American Heart Association for health care providers to meet their requirements. 9 a.m.-3 p.m. July 10., Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4). $49.
INTRODUCTION TO PAIN MANAGEMENT
Learn to control chronic pain through relaxation techniques. Call Healthy Alternatives, 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507. $75.
Treats chronic pain, high blood pressure, urinary incontinence, stress and anxiety. Call Healthy Alternatives, 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507. $75.
DIABETES SELF-MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
* At St. Mary's Hospital (13), professionals will help with diabetic meal planning, monitoring, treatment options and daily coping. Self-management classes are offered days, evenings and Saturdays. Call 301-475-6185.
* Civista Women's Health Center (9) offers a program of two group classes and two individual sessions. Call 301-609-5200 to discuss insurance coverage and registration.
HEALTH TALK SPEAKERS BUREAU
Health care professionals are available to present programs on health topics at your place of business or to community groups. Topics include diet and nutrition, heart disease prevention, cancer prevention, breast cancer, skin care, sleep disorders, diabetes, hearing loss, osteoporosis, alternative medicine, children's health and safety, and women's health issues. Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital. 410-414-4523 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4523.
Southern Maryland Hospital Center offers an informational program for people with chronic hepatitis C. Common side effects of treatment, and how to manage them, will be discussed. Demonstrations of dose preparation and self-injection. 11 a.m.-noon the third Monday of each month, Southern Maryland Hospital (15) library. Free. 800-782-2347, Ext. 2307.
Meet with a certified fitness trainer to evaluate your fitness level. Session is $50. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call 410-535-8245 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8245.
A demonstration to warn against tobacco use. Available upon request for groups of children ages 6-10. Free. Calvert Memorial Hospital. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
STRENGTH TRAINING FOR WOMEN
These exercise classes for women are designed to strengthen and tone muscles and increase flexibility. Participants will use dumbbells, resistance bands and other exercise equipment. Certified instructors. 6:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Registration not required. Four sessions, $30; one session, $8.
* Gentle Hatha Yoga for those who prefer a slower-paced class. 9:30-10:45 a.m. or 5:30-6:45 p.m. Tuesdays, July 13-Aug. 17, Solomons Medical Center (14). Call Healthy Alternatives, 410-414-4507. $51.
* Yoga for Beginners. 5:30-6:45 p.m. Thursdays, July 15-Aug. 26, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3); 7-8:15 p.m. Tuesdays, July 13-Aug. 17, Solomons Medical Center (14); and 9:15-10:45 a.m. or 10:45 a.m.-noon Mondays, July 12-Aug. 16, Dunkirk Medical Center (10). $51. Call Healthy Alternatives, 410-414-4507.
* This class teaches participants relaxation techniques, flexibility exercises and strengthening techniques. Registration not required. 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, or 9-10 a.m. Wednesdays, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Four sessions, $30; one session, $8.
* Beginning Yoga, an ongoing class for beginners, teaches relaxation techniques, flexibility exercises and strengthening techniques. Registration not required. 10-10:45 a.m. Mondays, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Four sessions, $30; one session, $8.
* Yoga for Children, ages 5-8 accompanied by an adult. 11 a.m.-noon Mondays, Aug. 2-23, Solomons Medical Center (14). One child and one adult, $36; additional child, $18. Call Healthy Alternatives, 410-414-4507.
* Prenatal Yoga. To relax, strengthen your body and speed your recovery after childbirth. Includes Hatha yoga postures, breathing practices and use of sound to release stress. First trimester of pregnancy should be completed before class. 10-11:15 a.m. July 10-Aug. 14, St. Mary's Hospital (13). Call to register. Permission from your health care provider required. $45.
* Taiji Qigong. Relax, leave stress behind and let the ancient practice of yoga lead you toward lifelong physical and mental health. 5-6 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning July 6, St. Mary's Hospital (13). $50.
THE TRAGER APPROACH
Offered by Healthy Alternatives, Trager Bodywork uses gentle rocking and stretching movements for relaxation. Learn simple movement exercises to maintain softness and range of motion. Clients remain fully clothed. 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
* Reduce pain, soothe injured muscles, stimulate circulation, promote relaxation and relieve stress. Seated chair and full-body massages available. Certified massage therapist. Call Healthy Alternatives at Calvert Memorial Hospital for more information, 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
* Start your weekend off with a seated massage. 2-5 p.m. July 9, St. Mary's Hospital (13). Call to make your 20-minute appointment.
BABY CARE BASICS
New and expectant parents learn about basic infant care, feeding, immunizations and treating minor illnesses. Led by a neonatal/pediatric nurse practitioner. 6:30-8:30 p.m. Nov. 5, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). $9 per family.
BIRTH CENTER TOURS
Expectant parents tour the birth center at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). A question-and-answer period follows. Free. Call for times and registration, 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
* Learn basic information including medical benefits, how to get started, what to prepare for before and after the birth, best nutrition, going back to work, options on pumps, bottles and more. Fathers encouraged to attend. Call for class dates. Civista Women's Health Center (9). $10.
* Breast-feeding Resource Center's certified lactation consultants will answer questions or provide a private consultation. Breast pumps and other items will be available for rent or purchase. 10-11 a.m. Wednesdays, St. Mary's Hospital (13). Call 301-997-6505 to talk to a lactation consultant.
* Civista's antenatal testing center class is offered in five evening sessions on selected Saturdays. Classes will prepare you and your support person and include a tour of the Family Birthing Center. $85 prepaid registration required. Civista's Antenatal Testing Center (6). Call for class dates. 888-332-4847.
* Nurturing Necessities class includes instruction on labor and delivery preparation, relaxation and breathing techniques, medication options and more. $100. Call 410-414-5414.
INFANT BRAIN DEVELOPMENT
Learn how to maximize your child's intellectual and emotional potential. Learn how the brain develops during the first three years and how to be ready for the next stage. 6:30-8 p.m. July 15, St. Mary's Hospital (13). Free.
Tour the Family Birthing Center and visit the newborn nursery at Civista Medical Center (8). Call for times and registration. Free. 888-332-4847.
St. Mary's Hospital (13) offers a series of monthly parenting classes, free to parents who plan to deliver their child at the hospital. Classes cover baby care, breast-feeding, childbirth, infant safety, CPR and siblings. Call 301-475-6019.
St. Mary's Hospital (13) offers a six-week class that can help you to relax, strengthen your body and speed recovery after childbirth. The class includes Hatha yoga postures, breathing practices for relaxation and the use of sound to help relieve stress. You can begin the class any time after completing the first trimester of pregnancy. Permission from a health care provider is required. Fee charged. Call 301-475-6019 for dates and times and to register.
NEW PREGNANCY MASSAGE
Provided by a trained therapist. One-hour session, $60. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). 410-535-8210 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
ADOLESCENT DIABETES SUPPORT GROUP
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) is forming a group for ages 10-18. To participate, call 410-414-4670.
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) Amputee Group meets 6-7:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month in the KeepWell Center (ground floor of the hospital). Free. Call Scarlett Schall, 410-535-8210 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8210.For updated information on speakers and topics, call 410-414-4670.
Families and people with Asperger Syndrome, autism or related conditions are invited. Meetings are held Fridays at the Lusby Office Suites, Conference Room 2, 192 Main St., Prince Frederick (across from Lusby Hardware). Free. Call for times. 410-326-6655.
BEREAVEMENT SUPPORT GROUP
For those grieving the death of a spouse. 6:30-8 p.m. Wednesdays, July 21-Sept. 1, Calvert Hospice office, 238 Merrimac Ct., Prince Frederick. 410-535-0892 or 301-855-1226. Free.
BRAIN INJURY SUPPORT GROUP
Meets 6:30-8 p.m. the first Tuesday and third Wednesday of each month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call Carl Garland at 410-535-4461, Ext. 106.
BRAIN INJURY SUPPORT GROUP
Meets 6:30-8 p.m. the third Thursday of each month, Spring Dell Center Inc., 6040 Radio Station Rd., La Plata. Call 301-932-6196.
Friends Who Care meets at 6:30 p.m. the first and third Tuesdays of each month at Calvert Medical Office Building, Prince Frederick. Free. Call social worker Joyce Gradle at 410-326-4262.
FAMILY EDUCATION AND SUPPORT
Join other families and friends who are living with someone who has a mental illness. The behavioral health staff will present a different mental health diagnosis or issue each month. Designed to explain the disease process and explore ways to help support a loved one. 6:30-7:30 p.m. July 6, St. Mary's Hospital (13). Free.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4), Medical Office Building, offers a group for cancer patients. 5:30-7 p.m. the first and third Thursdays of each month. Free. Call Meghan Toffey, 410-414-4730 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4730.
* St. Mary's Hospital offers a support group for cancer patients, family and friends. Snacks provided. 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, St. Mary's Hospital (13). Free. 301-475-6070.
* Charles County Health Department is forming a support group for cancer survivors and their caregivers. 7-8:30 p.m. the second Thursday of each month, Health Partners (11), next to the Waldorf Jaycees Community Center, Waldorf. Free. 301-743-7272.
CAREGIVERS SUPPORT GROUP
For caregivers of any age who provided care for an older adult. 2 p.m. last Wednesday of each month, Richard Clark Senior Center, 1210 E. Charles St., La Plata. Free. 301-934-0128 or 301-870-3388, Ext. 5128.
CELIAC SUPPORT GROUP
A new program for friends, family and those suffering with the disease. Learn more about the disease and discuss options and coping strategies. 5:30-6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (15) library.
Southern Maryland Hospital Center offers support, education and understanding to people who have suffered strokes and their families. 5-6 p.m. the fourth Thursday of each month, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton, Free. Registration recommended. 301-877-4563.
* Civista Medical Center (8) sponsors a group for cardiac patients and families, 7-8 p.m. the third Wednesday (except holidays) of each month, the Civista cafeteria. Registration not required.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) sponsors a cardiac care support group. For dates, times and topics, call 410-414-4648 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4648.
CHRONIC PAIN THERAPY GROUP
Designed for people experiencing stress, depression or anxiety because of chronic pain. Led by a clinical psychologist. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). For schedule, call 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
DIABETES SUPPORT GROUP
Meets 2-4 p.m. or 7-9 p.m. the third Thursday of each month at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). For meeting topics and speakers, call the Diabetes Support Group Hotline at 410-414-4783.
PARKINSON'S SUPPORT GROUP
Open to people of all ages who have the disease. Friends and families are invited. Support and education on aspects of the disease are provided. Meets 2-4 p.m. the fourth Saturday of each month, Civista Medical Center (8).
PREGNANCY AND INFANT LOSS
Support for those who have experienced a miscarriage or infant loss. 7-8 p.m. July 1, St. Mary's Hospital (13) in the Outpatient Infusion Services lobby. Free.
-- Compiled by BONNIE SMITH
To Submit an Item
Mail: The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Items are accepted on a space-available basis from public and nonprofit organizations only and must be received at least 14 days before the second Sunday of the month. Include event name, dates and times, exact address, cost and a publishable contact phone number. For more information, call 301-934-3513.