William Henry O'Dowd Horkan


William Henry O'Dowd Horkan, 75, a retired lawyer for the Labor Department who later went into private practice, died of congestive heart failure June 8 at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital in Fairfax. He was a McLean resident.

Mr. Horkan was born in Coral Gables, Fla., and graduated from the University of Miami in 1951 and from the University of Miami's law school in 1954.

He worked for the Labor Department from 1955 to 1970, focusing on labor law and civil rights litigation. He was in private practice from 1973 to 1992, first as a litigator and later as a partner with Alber Shoeney & Mann in the Washington area. He formed his own firm, Bowman, Horkan & Berry. After his retirement from the practice of law, he became a substitute teacher with Fairfax County public schools from 1997 to 2003.

He volunteered a great deal with youth as a soccer coach and a catechist at St. Luke Catholic Church in McLean.

His wife of 45 years, Lilla Horkan, died in 2003.

Survivors include three sons, William Horkan of Sterling, Robert Horkan of McLean and the Rev. Edward Horkan of Annandale; three brothers; a sister; and three grandchildren.

Anthony Ernest Manuel


Anthony Ernest "Tony" Manuel, 75, a Washington native who owned the popular Ernie's Restaurant and Pub in Gaithersburg, died June 6 of congestive heart failure at Montgomery General Hospital in Olney. He lived in Silver Spring.

In 1967, Mr. Manuel and his late brother, James, opened Ernie's Pizza and Sub Shop in Rockville and later branched out to a second location in Wheaton. In the early 1970s, they closed those shops and opened Ernie's Restaurant and Pub in the Quince Orchard Plaza shopping center in Gaithersburg, which was popular with local sports leagues. Mr. Manuel, who worked in the front greeting the public, operated the restaurant until his retirement in fall 2000. It operates under new owners.

Mr. Manuel was born in Washington and graduated from Anacostia High School. He was a 1958 graduate of the University of Maryland, where he was a member of Kappa Alpha.

He served in the Army during the Korean War and was stationed in Japan. From 1958 to 1967, he was a sales representative for the Davidson trucking company in Washington.

He was a member of St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Washington and held the office of district governor of the capital district of the American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association, an association of Americans of Greek heritage.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Penny Manuel of Silver Spring; a son, Ernie Manuel of York, Pa.; a daughter, Lainie Bain of Rock Hill, S.C.; a sister, Helen Woody of Arlington; and two grandchildren.

Stanley Furr "Sticks" Smith

Postal Carrier, Security Guard

Stanley Furr "Sticks" Smith, 89, a retired postal carrier, Fairfax County school security guard and volunteer firefighter and police officer in Arlington, died of complications from cancer June 11 at the Veterans Hospital of Martinsburg, W. Va.

Mr. Smith was born in Middleburg and moved to Arlington as a youth, where he graduated from Washington-Lee High School. During World War II, he was in the Army Air Forces and served in the North Africa and European theaters. He was awarded two Purple Hearts.

After the war, he returned to northern Virginia and worked for 35 years for the Postal Service as a mail carrier and a supervisor at the Clarendon post office. He then became a security guard in the Fairfax County schools, retiring in the early 1980s. He was also a volunteer firefighter and auxiliary police officer in Arlington. He moved to Culpeper in 1998.

His marriage to Dorothy Rae Beckner ended in divorce.

His wife, Doris I. Smith, died in 1995.

Survivors include three children, Michael F. Smith of Culpeper, Stanley N. Smith of Strausburg, Va., and Beverly R. Powell of Falls Church; five stepchildren, Alice M. Smith of Scottsdale, Ariz., Steven L. Tinkle of Golden, Colo., David W. Tinkle Sr. of Alexandria, Diane Borden of Williamsburg and Warren "Bucky" Tinkle of Springfield; 14 grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

Ruth Howard Harvey

Labor Department Employee

Ruth Howard Harvey, 92, a former Washington resident who had worked at the Labor Department and was a member of the American Association of University Women, died June 6 at the Rappahannock Westminster-Canterbury nursing home in Irvington, Va., about 75 miles east of Richmond. She had dementia.

Mrs. Harvey was a native of Clearwater, S.C., and a 1931 graduate of the University of Georgia.

Early in her career, she was a hospital dietitian in Chicago. She did supervisory work in data collection for the Army Signal Corps in Philadelphia during World War II.

She joined Labor in the mid-1940s and worked in Philadelphia and New York before settling in the Washington area about 1950. She did supervisory work on data collection and surveys for Labor until retiring in the mid-1950s.

She moved to Montross, Va., in 1985. At her death, she was living at the nursing home.

Her hobbies included bird-watching.

Her husband, Harlow W. "Lad" Harvey III, died in 1992.

She leaves no immediate survivors.

Maurice A. Hess Jr.

Plumbing, Heating Business Owner

Maurice A. Hess Jr., 81, who operated a plumbing and heating company in Washington for nearly 40 years, died June 11 at Sibley Memorial Hospital of a stroke. He lived in Rockville.

He joined his father's plumbing and heating business, Maurice A. Hess & Co., in 1946. Expanding operations to include air conditioning, Mr. Hess ran the company as chief executive until he retired in 1984.

A Washington native, Mr. Hess graduated from Western High School in the District and Fishburne Military School in Waynesboro, Va. He attended Virginia Polytechnic Institute and George Washington University. As a member of the Boy Scouts, he achieved the rank of Eagle Scout.

During World War II, he served in the Army and participated in the Allied invasion of Europe in 1944 and the Battle of the Bulge.

He was a past director of the Washington Rotary Club and the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington. He was a member of the Washington Board of Trade and the Washington Building Congress, a group that maintains standards in the real estate and construction industries. He was also a Mason and a Shriner.

He was a member of Potomac United Methodist Church and a past trustee of St. Luke's United Methodist Church in the District. From 2001 until his death, he volunteered at Montgomery Hospice in Rockville.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Marilyn Hamilton Hess of Rockville; three daughters, Lisa Sawyers Doyle of Eden Prairie, Minn., Patricia Lee Joern of St. Louis and Jake MacMillan of Richmond; and seven grandchildren.

John Henry Cole

Auto Mechanic

John Henry Cole, 61, a retired auto mechanic, died of cardiopulmonary failure May 31 at his home in Quantico.

Mr. Cole was an auto mechanic at Barber's Auto Service on King Street in Alexandria from 1977 to 1988. He also worked at the Sears Service Center in Landmark in the 1960s and as a mechanic maintaining vehicles for Arlington County after his military service.

He was born in Leesburg and raised in Arlington. He attended Massanutten Military Academy in Woodstock, Va., before serving in the Army from 1959 to 1963. He served in Germany and helped lay telephone lines and plant poles to establish the telecommunications system there in the early 1960s.

Mr. Cole was a member of the American Legion in Springfield and the Fraternal Order of Police in Arlington.

His marriage to Jan Melcher ended in divorce.

Survivors include three children, John Christopher Cole of Huntingtown, Belinda Lee Rhoades of Hillsville, Va., and Michele Christina Freiling of Oxford, Pa.; 10 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Dolores Sherblom Eaton

Senatorial Aide

Dolores Sherblom Eaton, 89, a longtime administrative assistant in the U.S. Senate, died May 25 of pneumonia at Virginia Hospital Center-Arlington.

Mrs. Eaton worked in the office of Sen. Howard W. Cannon (D-Nev.) off and on between 1958 and 1978 as his chief administrative assistant. Before that, she worked for two years at the American Medical Society in Washington.

Mrs. Eaton, a native of Finland, grew up in Dedham, Mass. She worked briefly at the Church of the Ascension in New York in the 1930s. She and her husband lived in Switzerland from 1970 to 1976.

From 1976 to 2001, before moving to McLean, she lived at the Watergate in the District and frequently attended performing arts events at the Kennedy Center.

Her husband, retired Navy Capt. Max Andrews Eaton, died in 1976.

Survivors include two children, Ellen Hawley of Mission, Tex., and Jonathan Eaton of New York; and three grandchildren.