David Hall Bigelow

Federal Manager

David Hall Bigelow, 77, a retired government budget and personnel specialist, died May 24 at a medical office in Friendship Heights. The cause of his death is under investigation by the D.C. medical examiner's office.

Mr. Bigelow, a recent resident of Fredericksburg, had been a University Park resident for more than 35 years.

During his government career, Mr. Bigelow worked for several federal agencies, including the National Security Agency, NASA and the Indian Claims Commission.

He was born in Cambridge, Mass., and his family moved several times in his childhood. He attended Alice Deal Junior High School in Washington from 1938 to 1939.

He enlisted in the Navy in 1943 and was assigned as an aviation radioman to a transport squadron in the Pacific. He later switched to an evacuation squadron and participated in the evacuation of more than 9,000 wounded Marines during the Okinawa campaign. He also helped evacuate American prisoners of war held in Japan after the Japanese surrendered.

Mr. Bigelow attended the University of New Hampshire and graduated from Columbia College in 1949. He received a master's degree in business administration from Columbia University in 1957.

His government career began at the National Security Agency, where he worked from 1951 to 1956. After studying and working in New York, he returned to the Washington area to manage and analyze programs for NASA from 1961 to 1970, first at the Goddard Space Flight Center and then in downtown Washington. In 1970, he was appointed executive director of the Indian Claims Commission, a position he held until the commission completed its work in 1978. He then served as deputy executive director of the Mine Safety and Health Review Commission until his retirement in 1979.

Mr. Bigelow worked briefly as a tax preparer for H&R Block, a budget analyst for the Charles County Board of Education and internal auditor for the ESE Credit Union. He worked for six years as an accountant for the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission before retiring a second time in 1993.

He was a Democratic Party volunteer, a PTA member and a volunteer with the Cub Scouts. In recent years, he cared for his wife, Claire Duffy Bigelow, who died in January.

Survivors include four children, Melanie Manfield of Chevy Chase, Diana Johannsen of Fredericksburg, Timothy Bigelow of Derwood and Daniel Bigelow of Philadelphia; one brother; and five grandchildren.

Anne Poindexter Lewis

Animal Activist, Judge

Anne Randolph Poindexter Lewis, 82, an animal activist and retired administrative law judge for the U.S. Department of Interior, died of congestive heart failure June 12 at Fairfax Inova Hospital. She was a resident of Falls Church.

Mrs. Lewis devoted her last 40 years to saving the lives of thousands of homeless dogs and cats. During the 1970s, she wrote a feature column on pets and animal issues for several Northern Virginia newspapers. She worked with the Fairfax Animal Rescue League and later introduced the idea of no-kill shelters in the area.

In 1973, she founded Friends of Homeless Animals, a volunteer organization based in Loudoun County. In 1981, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors recognized her for her work on behalf of animals, her son said.

Friends of Homeless Animals later proved somewhat controversial. In 1995, a veterinarian hired by Loudoun said that the Aldie, Va., kennels for the dogs were cramped and inadequate and that the dogs were poorly fed. County animal control officers said Mrs. Lewis took in more animals than she could handle and housed them in squalid conditions. Mrs. Lewis pointed out that all the dogs she rescued were in poor condition and so it was not surprising that some at the shelter appeared poorly fed. She was found guilty of two misdemeanors -- failure to adequately feed one dog and failure to provide proper shelter for another.

Mrs. Lewis was born in Norfolk and raised in Greenlee in Rockbridge County, Va. She graduated from Randolph-Macon Woman's College.

While her husband served in the Navy, she graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law, where she was the first woman to write on the Law Review.

In 1947, she began working at the National Labor Relations Board and subsequently joined the Department of Interior. In 1968, she was appointed to the Board of Land Appeals as an administrative law judge. She was appointed to the Board of Indian Appeals in 1984 before retiring in 1985.

In her youth, she was an award-winning artist, and she continued to paint throughout her life. She also enjoyed gardening and travel.

Survivors include her husband of 60 years, Edward Lewis of Amherst County, Va.; a son, Edward Adams Lewis of Vienna; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.