Ruth Ruggles Fetzer


Ruth Ruggles Fetzer, 83, who retired in 1980 after working about 15 years as a Prince George's County librarian, died June 3 at the Southerlands assisted care facility in Front Royal, Va., where she lived since 1997. She had Parkinson's disease.

Mrs. Fetzer primarily worked at the Oxon Hill branch as a reference, youth and adult services librarian.

The former Forest Heights resident moved to Northfield, Ohio, in the early 1980s and then to Strasburg, Va., in 1986. She and her husband, Don Fetzer, whom she married in 1981, designed and built a house on the Shenandoah River. She also volunteered at the Strasburg Library, helping to expand its collection and services.

Mrs. Fetzer was born in Durham, N.C., and raised in Shaker Heights, Ohio. She graduated from Scripps College in Claremont, Calif., and received a master's degree in library science from Catholic University.

She worked for the Agriculture Department during World War II. In the late 1950s, she lived in Iran, where her first husband, T. Marl Hemphill, was assigned with the U.S. Agency for International Development.

Hemphill died in 1978 after 35 years of marriage.

In addition to her second husband, of Strasburg, survivors include three children from her first marriage, John Kenneth Hemphill of Takoma Park, Stephanie Jean Hemphill of Duluth, Minn., and Thomas Hemphill of Falls Church; three stepchildren, Peter Fetzer of Phoenix, John Fetzer of Cleveland and Susan Fetzer of Kenton, Ohio; a brother; and two grandchildren.

John Hanna McAllister III

FCC Official

John Hanna McAllister III, 89, a retired Federal Communications Commission official who also was a Prince George's County real estate broker and cable television entrepreneur, died of heart disease May 30 at a retirement community in Cleveland.

Mr. McAllister, who lived in Bratenahl, Ohio, was a native of St. Paul, Minn., and a graduate of the University of Minnesota law school.

He began his 33-year career at the Federal Communications Commission in 1940 when he joined its intelligence division in New York. He later transferred to Washington and was counsel in the field engineering and monitoring bureau. He retired in 1973 as chief of the compliance branch of the Broadcast Bureau.

After leaving the FCC, Mr. McAllister ran a real estate business in Suitland, where he lived at the time. He was also appointed executive director of the Prince George's County Landlord-Tenant Commission, a post he held for five years until 1978.

He then became a partner in a cable television firm, which crafted a cable transmission line system for Prince George's.

Mr. McAllister and his business partner, Winfield Kelly, later joined Storer Broadcasting Co., a Florida-based company, and pursued contracts to build and operate cable television systems throughout the country.

He moved to Cleveland in 1986.

In retirement, he managed his investments in the Cayman Islands, where he also built a retirement home.

His first wife, Doris McAllister, died in 1982. They had been married for 40 years.

Survivors include his wife of 18 years, Ann Aldrich of Bratenahl; two daughters from his first marriage, Sandra Wise of Skyline and Wendy McAllister of Stevenson, Md.; four stepsons, James Mooney of Portland, Ore., Allen Mooney of Berkeley, Calif., Martin Aldrich of Cleveland and William Aldrich of Westport, Conn.; eight grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

James Harvey McDonald

CIA Administrative Officer

James Harvey McDonald, 78, a former associate deputy director of the Central Intelligence Agency, died June 16 of lung cancer at Virginia Hospital Center-Arlington. He was a resident of Arlington.

Mr. McDonald joined the CIA in 1958 and was instrumental in planning the Corona spy satellite network and other satellite reconnaissance systems. Among his other assignments, he was named executive officer for logistics in 1970, in charge of providing support and equipment for the CIA's operations both at home and abroad. He was later named director of logistics before his final assignment as associate deputy director for administration. He retired in 1986, having spent his entire career at CIA headquarters.

He was twice awarded the CIA's coveted Distinguished Intelligence Medal. He also received the Space Pioneer's Medal, another CIA award. The Corona high-altitude reconnaissance camera and other equipment he helped plan are part of a permanent exhibit at the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum.

Mr. McDonald was born in Parma, Ohio. He enlisted in the Army Air Forces during World War II and was trained as an aerial photographer and remote-control gunner on B-29s. He graduated from the University of Dayton in 1950 and went to work as a civilian procurement officer at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio, where he helped the U.S. Air Force develop the B-52 and B-57 bombers and the U-2 spy planes used during the Cold War.

After retiring from the CIA, Mr. McDonald consulted on security matters and volunteered with the American Indian Heritage Foundation in Falls Church. An excellent golfer, he had been a member of River Bend Golf & Country Club in Great Falls since 1964. He was a member of St. Agnes Catholic Church in Arlington.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Dorothy McDonald of Arlington; two children, Maureen Sengpiehl of Round Hill and Kevin McDonald of Oak Hill; nine grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Louis John Goggi

Chief Warrant Officer

Louis John Goggi, 84, a retired Air Force chief warrant officer, died of cancer and aplastic anemia May 23 at Civista Medical Center in La Plata. He lived in White Plains, Md.

Mr. Goggi, who was born in Ansonia, Conn., spent 28 years in the Air Force. He left high school and joined the Army Air Corps in 1939. He served during World War II and the Korean War in communications. His postings included Fort Myers and Japan.

He also was stationed at Eniwetok Island during the Red Wing Operation, where hydrogen bombs were being tested.

From 1962 to 1967, Mr. Goggi was in charge of communications at Andrews Air Force Base for the president's plane, Air Force One. He retired as chief warrant officer 4.

Mr. Goggi then was in the civil service for 20 years in communications for the Department of Defense, before retiring in 1989.

For 13 years, he performed fingerprinting duties as a volunteer with the Maryland State Police.

He was a member of St. Joseph Catholic Church in Pomfret, and he enjoyed fishing.

Survivors include his wife of more than 60 years, Joan Goggi of White Plains; three children, Michael Goggi and Wray Goggi, both of Waldolf, and Sandra Reese of McLean; and two granddaughters.