Helen Tsintolas Diacopoulos
Church Member, Volunteer
Helen Tsintolas Diacopoulos, 92, a Greek immigrant who lived in the Washington area for more than 75 years and was the matriarch of a large extended family, died June 22 of congestive heart failure at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda. She lived in Potomac.
Mrs. Diacopoulos married in Greece and moved at age 16 to Washington, where her husband ran a succession of restaurants, including the Rose Coffee Shop, the District Restaurant, Liberty Lunch and Minute Lunch, from 1921 to 1962.
She was a member of the Pronia women's group at Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church in the District and the Philoptouchos Society, a charitable organization associated with St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral, also in the District. She also had been a member of St. George Church in Washington.
During the 1940s, Mrs. Diacopoulos volunteered with the American Red Cross and helped make bandages and socks for the relief effort to benefit victims of the Greek civil war. She briefly operated a small business as a seamstress from her home.
She was best known among the Greek community and her extended family for being an exceptional cook. Her dolmades, spanakopita and baklava were considered of gourmet quality. She lived in Silver Spring for many years before moving to Potomac.
Her husband, Menas Diacopoulos, died in 1981.
Survivors include a daughter, Mary Georgatsos of North Bethesda; a brother, Mimis Tsintolas of Silver Spring; a sister, Sophia Varveris of Silver Spring; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.