Joseph Vincent Long Jr.

Marketing Executive

Joseph Vincent Long Jr., 80, a retired NCR Corp. marketing executive who introduced and sold automated teller machines to financial institutions in the Washington area, died of coronary artery disease June 19 at his daughter's home in West Chester, Pa.

Mr. Long, who lived in Potomac, worked more than 40 years for NCR in Rockville before retiring in 1991.

He was a native of Elizabeth, N.J. He served in the Army Intelligence Corps in Nome, Alaska, during World War II and attended the University of Notre Dame and Fordham University.

He was a member of St. Elizabeth Catholic Church in Rockville and Bethesda Country Club, where he golfed regularly despite suffering in recent years from macular degeneration, which causes progressive loss of vision.

Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Pat Long of Potomac; four children, Chip Long of Portland, Ore., Susan McGregor of Potomac, Caron Wirth of West Chester and Maureen Koch of Boyds; and six grandchildren.

Dorothy Bowers

Analyst, Volunteer

Dorothy Bowers, 80, a retired analyst for the Department of Justice who held numerous part-time jobs and volunteer positions, died of heart disease June 11 at her Washington home.

She was born in Johnstown, Pa., and moved to Washington in 1948 to work for the Justice Department. She retired in 1976.

Miss Bowers lived on Wisconsin Avenue for most of her life. She worked part time at the KB Theater on MacArthur Boulevard as a cashier, at the IBM Service Bureau as a keypunch operator, at Kahn's department store as a billing clerk, at Woodward and Lothrop as a credit clerk and at the General Federation of Women's Clubs as a file clerk.

After retirement, she was a ballot clerk for the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics and volunteered at the Washington Home as a Red Cross Gray Lady. She also volunteered at gift shops at Washington National Cathedral and the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.

Miss Bowers traveled the world in retirement and was a popular speaker who showed slides of her travels at numerous retirement homes, churches and synagogues.

She was among a number of residents who told D.C. Council members in 2000 that they should not let the rent control law expire. "Our pensions and Social Security checks are based on those low salaries of 30 and 40 years ago," Miss Bowers had said.

She was a member of St. Luke's United Methodist Church, where pastor Anne Yarbrough last week remembered her compassion for those who struggled in life. "She understood how larger economic forces were squeezing the elderly and the poor out of the city," Yarbrough said. "Dorothy was not one to shrug her shoulders and go quietly. She stood up for herself, but it was very important to her to stand up for others, too -- for those who couldn't stand up for themselves."

Survivors include a brother and a sister.

Patricia Peck Gossel

Museum Curator

Patricia Peck Gossel, 60, who was chairman of the division of Science, Medicine and Society at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History, died of cancer June 12 at Casey House in Rockville. She was a resident of Bethesda.

In addition to her administrative duties, Dr. Gossel played a major role in the creation of the museum's permanent exhibition "Science in American Life."

She published more than two dozen scholarly articles. At the time of her death, she was writing a monograph on the history of bacteriology in the United States and developing an exhibition on the history of polio. Dr. Gossel established a history of biology collection at the museum: Prototypes of the first gene guns and a microscope used by the Nobel laureate Barbara McClintock were among her favorite acquisitions.

Born Patricia Louise Peck in Inglewood, Calif., she grew up in Murdo, S.D. She received a bachelor's degree in biology from Augustana College in Sioux Falls. She later moved to Bozeman, where she received a master's of science in microbiology from Montana State University. While there, she worked as a research and teaching associate and as an electron microscopist. She also worked as a medical technologist and clinical bacteriologist at the university.

In the early 1970s, Dr. Gossel and her husband moved to a cabin in Silvergate, Mont., at the entrance to Yellowstone National Park, and spent a year birding, cross-country skiing and enjoying nature.

She received her doctorate in the history of science from Johns Hopkins University in 1988, writing her dissertation on "The Emergence of American Bacteriology, 1875-1900."

Dr. Gossel taught for two years in the Department of Science and Humanities at the Rochester Institute of Technology in New York before becoming a museum curator in 1988.

She was an active member of the History of Science Society, the American Association for the History of Medicine, Sigma Xi and other professional organizations.

Her marriage to Jerry Gossel ended in divorce.

Survivors include her mother, Elsa Peck of Sioux Falls, S.D.

James Cook Snipes Jr.

Air Force Colonel, Consultant

James Cook Snipes Jr., 86, a colonel in the Air Force and a financial management consultant, died of cancer June 20 at The Fairfax retirement community at Fort Belvoir. He was a resident of Arlington.

Col. Snipes served in Italy during World War II and retired from military service in 1967 as an executive officer in the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force at the Pentagon. His military decorations included the Legion of Merit.

He then became a senior consultant with Stanford Research Institute and later an independent consultant.

Born in Terrell, Tex., Col. Snipes received a bachelor's degree from Southern Methodist University. He graduated from the Wharton School of Business with a master's degree in finance in 1957.

He was a member of Beta Gamma Sigma and Phi Delta Theta and a high school group known as the Prince Club.

Col. Snipes held leadership positions at The Fairfax in the resident council, the computer activity center and the low-vision support group.

His church memberships included Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington and, most recently, the Belvoir Woods Protestant Mission Society. His interests included music, travel, hiking, camping, skiing, computers and family history.

His first wife, Elizabeth T. Snipes, died in 1974.

Survivors include his wife, Louise C. Snipes of Fort Belvoir; two sons from his first marriage, Robert T. Snipes of Shepherdstown, W.Va., and James C. Snipes of Tiburon, Calif.; a stepdaughter, Deborah S. Dietrich of Stafford; a stepson, J. David Barber of Arlington; a brother; five grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Mary Jane Franks Estill

Church Member

Mary Jane Franks Estill, 89, a member of Trinity Methodist Church in Alexandria for half a century, died of congestive heart failure June 19 at Goodwin House West retirement home in Falls Church.

Mrs. Estill had lived since about 1950 in Alexandria, where she was an active participant in many of her church's activities.

She was a founding member of its prayer group, participated in the bell choir, taught Sunday school and was a leader of the Shepherd's Group, which provided services to the needy.

After moving to Goodwin House West 10 years ago, she taught English as a second language to the nursing home's foreign-born workers.

She was born in Millersburg, Ohio, and graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University in 1937. She taught English, drama and home economics for four years in the Millersburg public schools.

Her husband, Charles D. Estill, died in 1984.

Survivors include a son, Samuel M. Estill of Fredericksburg; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Dario Renard Monti

Energy Department Official

Dario Renard Monti, 74, an engineer who became a senior executive in the Energy Department's environment, safety and health office before retiring in 1989, died June 19 at a hospice in Kirkland, Wash. He had prostate cancer.

Mr. Monti was born in Detroit and raised in Hibbing, Minn. He was a 1952 chemical engineering graduate of the University of Minnesota.

He did engineering work for private industry before joining the federal government's National Center for Air Pollution Control in Cincinnati in 1967.

He settled in the Washington area in the early 1970s and did environmental and energy work for the Environmental Protection Agency.

While living in Gaithersburg, he was a member of St. John Neumann Catholic Church there. He moved to Seattle in 1995.

His first wife, Fanchon Foss Monti, died in 1991.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Jeanne Monti of Seattle; three children from his first marriage, Marian Bonin of Winston-Salem, N.C., Jane Mathis of Germantown and David Monti of Middleport, N.Y.; a brother; two sisters; and six grandchildren.