Arthur Lester Tackman

Personnel Director, Rancher

Arthur Lester Tackman, 87, who was the personnel director for two federal agencies before becoming a rancher and newspaper publisher, died June 18 of congestive heart failure at his home, Deep Creek Ranch, in Glenwood, N.M.

Mr. Tackman spent 15 years as an official with the Atomic Energy Commission and was its personnel director from 1959 to 1965. He became the first director of personnel for the newly formed Department of Housing and Urban Development in 1965 and held that position until he retired from the government in 1970.

He came to Washington in 1938 and until 1949 worked in various government offices, including the Department of War. In 1950, he moved to Aiken, S.C., as assistant director of the Savannah River power plant, operated by the AEC. He returned to Washington in 1955 as the AEC's assistant director of inspection before becoming director of personnel in 1959.

In 1970, Mr. Tackman moved to New Mexico, where he worked as a management consultant for several years. He also was the owner and operator of a cattle ranch, the Deep Creek Ranch, until his death. From 1986 to 1991, he and his wife were the publishers and editors of a weekly newspaper, the Catron County Courier.

Mr. Tackman, who was born in Chicago, received bachelor's and master's degrees of public administration from Ohio State University. From 1943 to 1945, he was a Navy lieutenant based in Washington. He lived in Falls Church and Vienna in the 1940s and in Montgomery County from the 1950s to 1970.

His wife of 64 years, Mary Lillian Connor Tackman, died Jan. 21.

Survivors include three sons, Arthur L. Tackman III of Honolulu, Laurence Connor Tackman of Albuquerque and Alan Rhead Tackman of Glenwood; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Burlee Rowe Jr.


Burlee Rowe Jr., 75, owner of a printing business, died of liver failure June 21 at the Casey House Hospice in Rockville. He was a Bethesda resident.

Mr. Rowe, who was born in Gloucester, Va., graduated from Hargrave Military Academy and served in the Navy for four years. He then attended the University of Richmond, studying journalism.

Mr. Rowe went to work at the Seeing Eye in Morristown, N.J., where he trained dogs for the blind. He then worked in printing and advertising in Wisconsin until 1978, when he moved to Maryland. In 1983, he bought Altogether Printing in Bethesda, and owned and operated the business until his death.

He enjoyed U.S. history, architecture, fishing and restoring old houses.

Survivors include his wife of 35 years, Anna Rowe of Bethesda; and a daughter, Erika Nolan of Kilkenny, Ireland.