William F. Schmick Jr.

Baltimore Sun Publisher

William F. Schmick Jr., 90, former publisher of the Sun newspapers in Baltimore, died of a heart ailment June 25 at the Blakehurst Life Care Community in Towson, Md.

Mr. Schmick's career with the Sun, the Evening Sun and the Sunday Sun spanned more than 40 years, including almost two decades as the company's chief executive. During his tenure, the newspapers expanded advertising, circulation and features.

He said he was proudest of expanding the Sun's overseas bureaus in the 1950s and 1960s, when bureaus opened in Bonn, Moscow, Paris, Rome, Hong Kong, New Delhi and Rio de Janeiro. He also embraced new computer technology, establishing a fully electronic newsroom in 1975. He was president of the American Newspaper Publishers Association in 1969 and 1970.

James Daniels III

Navy Pilot

Retired Navy Capt. James Daniels III, 88, one of the three pilots who survived a barrage of "friendly fire" several hours after the Dec. 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor, died June 20 in Honolulu. No cause of death was reported.

In a 1995 speech at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, President Bill Clinton noted that Capt. Daniels was the only U.S. pilot in the air when Pearl Harbor was attacked and also in the air off Tokyo Harbor in the days World War II ended in 1945.

Capt. Daniels was one of six pilots directed to land at Ford Island after the Pearl Harbor attack. Although arrival of the U.S. planes had been broadcast repeatedly to all ships at Pearl Harbor, sailors panicked when they heard the aircraft overhead and shot down all of the planes except Capt. Daniels'.

He logged 4,500 hours, mostly as an attack carrier pilot, with 110 combat missions in World War II and the Korean War. He retired in 1970 with 33 years of service.

William J. Lake

WWI Veteran

William J. Lake, 108, one of the few remaining veterans of World War I, died June 19 in Yakima, Wash.

Born in Ralls County, Mo., Mr. Lake grew up in Montana and moved to Yakima as a youth. He was drafted into the Army in 1917 at age 22 and served as a private in the infantry and as a machine gun ammunition transporter. He fought in the Meuse-Argonne Forest offensive in France and Belgium in the winter of 1918.

He returned to Washington state to farm and work as a warehouse truck driver until an on-the-job accident forced his retirement at age 75.

Manuel A. Armijo

Bataan Death March Survivor

Manuel A. Armijo, 92, a veteran of the World War II Bataan Death March who tended to fellow war prisoners through years of brutal captivity, died June 22 in Santa Fe, N.M. No cause of death was reported.

Mr. Armijo co-founded the Bataan Memorial Military Museum and Library in Santa Fe and was often interviewed for documentaries. He was 29 when deployed with the New Mexico National Guard and sent to the Philippines, where he was among the thousands of troops who fought the Japanese for four months before surrender was ordered.

Mr. Armijo and others were force-marched 65 miles without food, water or medical attention. Those who collapsed along the way were shot or bayoneted, and thousands died in labor camps or in the ships that transported the POWs to camps in Japan, Korea or China. As the first sergeant in his company, Mr. Armijo cared for fellow prisoners. He returned to New Mexico in 1945 and spent his career in state government.

Vilayat Inayat Khan

Sufi Leader

Vilayat Inayat Khan, 87, head of the Sufi Order International, representing members of a mystical form of Islam, died June 17 at his home in the Paris suburb of Suresnes. No specific cause of death was announced.

Mr. Khan, who was a teacher and lecturer, was the son of Hazrat Inayat Khan, founder of the order who helped establish Sufism in the West. Although Sufism is a form of Islam, the order permits followers to continue practicing their own religions as they explore Sufi mysticism. Vilayat Khan's oldest son, Zia Inayat Khan, will take over leadership of the order.

An author whose books were translated into several languages, Mr. Vilayat wrote "Toward the One" and "The Call of the Dervish," among others. He was born in London to an Indian father and American mother and studied cello, graduating from the Sorbonne in Paris. He served in the British Royal Navy during World War II, surviving the torpedoing of his minesweeper during the D-Day invasion of Normandy.