The July 3 obituary of Lois Nystuen Standish incorrectly listed the year that a son, Robert W. Standish, died. He died in 1983. (Published 7/7/04)

Vivian Grace Brown Cabaniss

Elementary School Principal

Vivian Grace Brown Cabaniss, 96, who spent 48 years in elementary education and retired as the principal of Beaver Heights Elementary School in Prince George's County, died of renal failure June 2 at Sunrise Assisted Living in Lincroft, N.J.

Mrs. Cabaniss became the principal of Beaver Heights Elementary in the 1950s and retired in 1976. Earlier, she taught third through six grades and was an assistant principal at Brooks Road Elementary School in Capitol Heights. She also was a teacher at Fairmont Heights Elementary School.

As a principal, Mrs. Cabaniss was methodical and demanded quality teaching for her students, said Arthur J. Dock, who worked with her. "She was not a desk principal. She was constantly in the halls, greeting people, and in the classroom observing teachers and making recommendations or giving suggestions on how they could improve their teaching," he said.

She was born in Fair Haven, N.J., and graduated from Morgan State University. She received a master's degree in education from New York University. She came to Washington in 1928 and moved back to New Jersey in 1995.

After retiring, Mrs. Cabaniss attended Trinity College to become a Eucharistic minister and then served as such at the Church of the Incarnation in Washington. She also served as the prefect of Incarnation's Sodality and sang in the church's Celestial Choir. She also was president of the Sodality Union for Washington.

In a White House ceremony, President Ronald Reagan presented her with an award for outstanding volunteer work and achievements in the Washington community.

During Pope John Paul II's most recent visit to Washington, Mrs. Cabaniss and her husband were invited to attend Mass and received Holy Communion from the Pope at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.

She traveled extensively before and after retirement, going to Greece, Japan, Hong Kong, Rome and Spain.

She was a member of the National Education Association, Maryland State Teachers Association, Prince George's County Retired Teachers Association and the International Reading Association.

Her husband of more than 50 years, James E. Cabaniss, died in 1995.

Survivors include a daughter, Maureen Perkins of Tinton Falls, N.J.; two grandsons; and one great-grandson.

Mary Lee Cobb McIntyre

Church Official

Mary Lee Cobb McIntyre, 94, an official at Washington's Meridian Hill Baptist Church, where her husband was founding minister, died June 6 at her home in the District. She had dementia.

Mrs. McIntyre aided her husband, the Rev. Roosevelt McIntyre, by raising funds and organizing several church groups, including its Sunday school.

A contralto, she sang in the church and at gospel concerts and church conventions, mostly in the Washington area and occasionally abroad.

She was born in Athens, Ga., and raised in Washington, where she was a graduate of Dunbar High School. She attended the old Washington Junior College of Music and the Paramount School of Music.

Her husband of 62 years died in 1989.

She leaves no immediate survivors.

Veronica Spaulding Trainum

Administrative Assistant

Veronica Spaulding "Roni" Trainum, 84, a retired administrative assistant at the Treasury Department, died June 25 at Woodbine Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center in Alexandria after a stroke.

Mrs. Trainum was a native Washingtonian. She lived in New Carrollton for the past 40 years.

She spent 30 years as an administrative assistant in Treasury's office of questioned documents, which investigated documents such as those in the Lindbergh baby kidnapping case and the John F. Kennedy assassination.

She was a recipient of Treasury's Albert Gallatin Award upon her retirement in 1974.

Her husband, Thomas E. Trainum, died in 1985.

Survivors include three children, Patricia Trainum of Fairfax City, Thomas Trainum of Windsor, Calif., and Douglas Trainum of Arlington; one grandson; and two great-grandchildren.

Robert Lewis Feik

Air Force Research Engineer

Robert Lewis Feik, 85, a research scientist for the Air Force for three decades, died June 15 of a stroke at Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis. He lived in Annapolis.

Mr. Feik was a civilian employee of the Air Force from 1946 to 1975. After helping design electrical systems for aircraft at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio, he came to Washington in 1954 as technical director for electronics for the Air Force Systems Command and later became director of research.

In 1965, he became chief scientist for the Air Force Communications Command, in charge of developing radar systems that remain in use today. After retiring in 1975, he had a consulting business in electronics and communications.

Mr. Feik was born in Lee Center, Ill., and grew up in Sioux City, Iowa. He graduated from the University of Illinois in 1941 with a degree in electrical engineering.

He was an officer in the Army Signal Corps during both World War II and the Korean War.

He was named Outstanding Civilian of the Year by the Air Force Association in 1970 and received the Department of Defense Exceptional Service Award in 1974. He was a member of many organizations, including the Civil Air Patrol, the Rotary Club and the Air Force Association.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Mary Stan Feik of Annapolis; his daughter, Robin Vest of Jeffersonton, Va.; and a sister.

Lois Nystuen Standish

Church Member

Lois Nystuen Standish, 92, a singer, club member and church member, died June 25 at her daughter's home in Arlington after a stroke. She was an Arlington resident.

She was born in South Dakota and grew up in Minneapolis and Los Angeles. She had a trained operatic voice and was self-taught in music history and appreciation. She was a member of the Friday Morning Music Club, the Cosmos Club, the Norweigan Society and Bethesda Presbyterian Church.

Mrs. Standish lived in the Washington area on and off since 1950. She lived in Switzerland for seven years with her husband, who was an official with International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources, returning in 1975.

She enjoyed reading, listening to music, and conversation.

A son, Jim Standish, died in 2003 and another son, Robert W. Standish, died in 1993. Her husband of 53 years, Robert I. Standish, died in 1996.

A previous marriage to George Devine ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter from the second marriage, Harriet S. Kavrukov of Arlington; six grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

Michael Chi

Engineering Professor

Michael Chi, 79, a former professor of civil and mechanical engineering at Catholic University and founder of a engineering consulting firm, died of complications from lymphoma June 29 at Virginia Hospital Center-Arlington. He was an Arlington resident.

Mr. Chi was born in Tientsin, China, and received a bachelor's degree from the University of Tientsin. He immigrated to the United States in 1947 and received his master's degree in hydraulic engineering from Louisiana State University in 1949. He received his doctoral degree in applied mechanics from George Washington University in 1969.

After working in the New York City area as a structural engineer, he moved to the Washington area in 1954 to work as a project engineer at the National Bureau of Standards. From 1958 until 1974, he was an engineering professor at Catholic and then founded his own firm to consult on contracts for federal and state transportation departments.

A published author in civil and mechanical engineering, Mr. Chi was former chairman of the Washington chapter of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, a member of the National Academy of Forensic Engineers, a fellow of the Washington Academy of Sciences, a science faculty fellow of the National Science Foundation, and a member of Tau Beta Pi, Sigma Xi and the Cosmos Club.

He was a member of St. Matthew's Cathedral in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Lotta Chi, of Arlington; and two children, Loretta Chi of Rockville and Maxwell Chi of San Antonio.

Charles A. Krebs

Army Colonel

Charles A. Krebs, 92, a retired Army lieutenant colonel, died of multi-organ failure June 9 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He was a resident of Falls Church.

Born in Gulfport, Miss., Col. Krebs received an associate arts degree in chemistry from Birmingham-Southern College. He became an airborne infantry officer during World War II, and served with the 101st Airborne Division as both a company commander and battalion staff officer.

He retired from the Army in 1961 and continued at the Pentagon as a civilian working in force development until 1978 when he retired a second time.

His wife of 62 years, Sally Scott Krebs, died in 2002.

Survivors include two sons, Charles Krebs of Virginia Beach and Walter Scott of Falls Church; one brother; five grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Mary Regina Schatz

Monastery, School Treasurer

Mary Regina Schatz, 95, a member of the Georgetown Visitation religious community for 62 years, died of congestive heart failure at the monastery's infirmary on June 28.

Sister Mary Regina supervised the infirmary for many years and was treasurer and manager of the monastery and its associated school, Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School. She entered the monastery, which is affiliated with the Visitation order of the Catholic Church, in 1942 and became a fully professed nun in 1944.

Sister Mary Regina was born in New York, attended New York University and taught in New York parochial elementary schools for nine years before entering holy orders. She was a quiet, private person who impressed her fellow nuns with her prayers and her strong devotion to her faith.

Survivors include two sisters, Irene Schatz and Mildred Gorman, both of Ijamsville, in Frederick County.

Joseph Michael Felton


Joseph Michael Felton, 68, a Gaithersburg resident who practiced law in Rockville and who also spent many years working on nuclear regulatory issues, died June 27 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital in Rockville. He had cancer.

Mr. Felton was born on a farm on Long Island, N.Y., and graduated from St. John's University in 1957. He served in the Marine Corps from 1957 to 1960.

He was a 1963 graduate of Georgetown University law school. He received a master's degree in law from George Washington University in 1969.

He worked as counsel on the staff of the House Committee on Science and Astronautics from 1961 to 1969, before joining the Atomic Energy Commission in 1969 as special assistant to the director of regulations and branch chief.

He moved to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission in 1975, where, for the next 10 years, he was director of the division of rules and records. From 1985 until 1987, he was assistant to the director for information law at the NRC.

After retiring from government, Mr. Felton began a general law practice and a publishing company that produced a monthly newsletter called "Nuclear Licensing Reports." The newsletter concerns the regulatory aspects of nuclear energy and goes primarily to hospitals, universities and other holders of nuclear material licenses.

Survivors include his wife of 42 years, Mabel McLaughlin Felton, of Gaithersburg; three children, Barbara Michael of Damascus, Frederick Felton of Gaithersburg and Joseph Felton of Charlestown, W.Va.; and five grandchildren.