Edward F. Donnelly
Edward F. Donnelly, 81, a retired clinical psychologist and teacher, died of heart disease June 20 at Virginia Hospital Center. He was a resident of McLean and Dewey Beach, Del.
Dr. Donnelly began working in 1968 for the National Institute of Mental Health, first in the adult psychiatry branch in Bethesda, and then for a decade, starting in 1973, at St. Elizabeths Hospital in Washington. From 1984 until 1991, he taught psychology and served as a counselor at Bishop O'Connell High School in Falls Church.
Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., he served in the Army in the African and Italian campaigns during World War II. After the war, he earned a bachelor's degree at Georgetown University, a master's degree in educational psychology at Fordham University in 1953 and a doctoral degree in educational psychology in 1961 at St. John's University in New York.
Dr. Donnelly taught American history at New York high schools from 1950 to 1959 and worked for two more years as a school guidance counselor in Yonkers, N.Y. He interned in clinical psychology in the New Jersey Department of Institutions and Agencies and was a resident and staff psychologist at St. Elizabeths from 1962 to 1966.
Dr. Donnelly was chief psychologist at the National Training School for Boys until 1968, when he joined NIMH. He also was in private practice from 1967 to 1973.
He was a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American and Virginia Psychological associations, the American Men and Women of Science and Sigma Xi. He was a member of St. John Roman Catholic Church in McLean. He enjoyed tennis and other sports.
Survivors include his wife of 42 years, Dr. Rosalie F. DeGiovanni Donnelly of McLean; two children, Dr. Edward F. Donnelly Jr. of El Cerrito, Calif., and Dr. Francis M. Donnelly of Bloomfield Hills, Mich.; a sister; and three grandchildren.
William H. Pearson
Auto Body Man
William H. Pearson, 82, who worked as an auto body man for Lindsay Cadillac for more than 30 years, died June 19 of complications of cancer and heart disease at his home in Tampa.
Mr. Pearson was born in Manassas and lived most of his life in Alexandria. He retired from Lindsay Cadillac in 1978.
During World War II, he served with the 4th Marine Division in the Pacific Theater and was a Purple Heart recipient. He was hit by sniper fire and injured in the right leg in a battle at Saipan and Marianas Island. He left as a corporal.
He was a 32nd degree Mason of the Henry Knoxfield Lodge, a member of the Scottish Rite and a member of the Kena Temple Shriners. He also was a former member of Del Ray Baptist Church.
Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Lillie M. Pearson of Tampa; seven daughters, Doris South of Boothbay, Maine, Jean Padula of Cincinnati, Irene Petrie of Greencastle, Pa., Patricia White of Annandale, Mary Gibbs of Columbus, Ga., Kathryn Woods of The Woodlands, Tex., and Bonnie Kennedy of Alexandria; 12 grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
Said Haddad, 88, a former Washington area entrepreneur who invested in real estate and helped develop safety procedures for the demolition industry, died of congestive heart failure June 24 in Asheville, N.C.
Mr. Haddad was a native of Willimantic, Conn. He served in the Army as a demolitions expert in France during World War II.
After the war, he started ABC Demolition Corp. in Arlington, which grew into one of the largest wrecking companies in the country.
He went on to help formulate demolition safety procedures for the National Safety Council.
Mr. Haddad closed ABC Demolition in 1983, and he continued to manage office buildings and apartments he owned in Arlington and Miami.
The former Arlington and McLean resident, who was a 32nd Degree Mason, moved to Miami Beach in 1975. He later settled in Asheville.
His marriage to Mary Marshall Haddad ended in divorce. His second wife, Betty Windley Haddad, died in 1984, after 27 years of marriage.
Survivors include his wife of 18 years, Diane Miller Haddad of Asheville; two children from his first marriage, Paul Haddad of Miami and Christine Carr of McLean; four stepchildren, Charles Windley of Norfolk, Donald Windley of Stuarts Draft, Va., Wendy Boiles of Clifton, and Tomas Miller of Miami Beach; nine grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
Mary Anne Garner MacKaye
Mary Anne Garner MacKaye, a Washington historian who corresponded with many writers and became an unofficial den mother for her son's rock band and record company, died June 30 of emphysema at her home in the District.
A fifth-generation Washingtonian, Mrs. MacKaye was enamored of local history from an early age. Growing up in the Brookland neighborhood near Catholic University, she set up a stand to offer tours of the nearby Franciscan monastery. In 1983, she wrote a history of her alma mater, Sidwell Friends School, "Mr. Sidwell's School," with her husband, former Washington Post reporter and editor William R. MacKaye.
Throughout her life, Mrs. MacKaye (pronounced mc-Kigh), wrote thousands of letters to correspondents from all walks of life around the world. She carried on correspondence with several notable writers, including Gore Vidal.
In 1980, her son, Ian MacKaye, a member of the well-known local band Fugazi, founded the Dischord record label, listing his parents' address as the headquarters of the company. Since then, music fans from all over the world have journeyed to the MacKayes' quiet street in Glover Park, where they would find, in her son's words, "a short woman with a dog." She corresponded with many of these fans over the years, some of whom would remind Ian MacKaye on his international tours to be sure to say hello to his mother.
Mrs. MacKaye graduated from Sidwell Friends in 1951 and from Rosary College, now Dominican University, in River Forest, Ill., in 1955. She worked for Ladies Home Journal as an editor before leaving to raise five children. She had been working for several years on an uncompleted biography of the Rev. William A. Wendt, an Episcopal priest and civil rights activist who founded a ministry to people in the final stages of life.
Beside her husband of 47 years, survivors include five children, Katharine, Ian and Alexander MacKaye, all of Washington, Susannah MacKaye of Oakland, Calif., and Amanda MacKaye of Arlington; and one granddaughter.
M. Louisa Shultz
Substance Abuse Counselor
M. Louisa Shultz, 73, a substance abuse counselor who worked at a psychiatric hospital as well as in private practice, died of emphysema July 1 at her home in Potomac.
Mrs. Shultz was a native Washingtonian who graduated with a degree in psychiatry from Salisbury State University.
She was director of the chemical dependency unit at Springwood Psychiatric Hospital in Leesburg from 1976 to 1986. She then set up and ran a Montgomery County-sponsored chemical dependency treatment facility for the indigent in Takoma Park.
She also ran chemical dependency support groups for two Washington area psychiatrists from 1976 to 2002 and had operated her own private therapy practice since 1984.
Her marriage to Robert Lawson ended in divorce. A daughter from her second marriage, Joyce Shultz, died in 2000.
Survivors include her husband of 45 years, Richard Shultz of Potomac; three children from her second marriage, John R. Shultz of Duluth, Minn., Gina Shultz-Farney of Honolulu and Richard E. Shultz of Rockville; two brothers, Jack Histon of Wheaton and Keith Demarr of Clinton; six grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.
Richard J. Dwyer Jr.
Richard J. Dwyer Jr., 79, a retired owner of an Alexandria plumbing and heating firm, died of cancer July 2 at his home in Alexandria.
Mr. Dwyer, a native Alexandrian, was a fifth-generation descendant of the Carlin and Richards families who settled in Alexandria in the 1740s. He graduated from St. John's College High School and attended Cornell University and Catholic University. Before he was able to graduate, however, his father asked him to join the family plumbing and heating business established in 1923.
Mr. Dwyer established the Richard and Mary Dwyer Charitable Foundation Trust more than 25 years ago, supporting the Hospice of Northern Virginia and many other charities. Mr. Dwyer served on the Inova Alexandria Hospital Foundation Board of Trustees, on the pastoral care committee, and as a volunteer chaplain there. He was a charter member of the 1872 Society of Alexandria Hospital, and he and his wife were the recipients of the 2003 Julia Johns Society Award. He served as chairman of the advisory board for the Salvation Army, was a Rotarian, a member of the Knights of Columbus and a member of the American Philatelic Society.
Mr. Dwyer was a member of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church for more than 50 years.
His wife of 57 years, Mary Catherine Dwyer, died in 2003.
Survivors include 11 children, Richard J. Dwyer VI of Alexandria, Mary Margaret Dwyer Rinaldi of Reston, Nancy Ellen Dwyer McKenzie of Arlington, Paul Bernard Dwyer of Oakton, Thomas Andrew Dwyer of Prescott, Ariz., Kathryn Ann Dwyer of Oakton, Carole Lynn Dwyer Waring of North Potomac, Therese Elizabeth Dwyer Dayton of Breckenridge, Colo., Brian Stephen Dwyer of Alexandria, David Gerard Dwyer of Burke and Kevin Christopher Dwyer of Alexandria; a sister, Mary Jean Becker of Arlington; 20 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
James Lazar, 79, who helped develop the electric propulsion engine and other technologies while working for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, died of liver disease June 10 at the National Lutheran Home in Rockville.
Mr. Lazar, who had been a resident of McLean for the last 42 years, was born in New Britain, Conn. After serving in World War II as a pilot in the Army Air Forces, he graduated from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with a degree in aeronautical engineering and did graduate work at what is now Case Western Reserve University.
He worked for an aerospace technology firm in Cleveland when he received a patent for a key development of in-flight refueling. He moved to the Washington area in 1958 to work for NASA, where he became director of the space power and propulsion division.
In addition to the electric propulsion engine, he worked on nuclear propulsion and the folding solar arrays on the space shuttles.
He received two Exceptional Service Medals from NASA and the James H. Wyld Propulsion Award from the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
After his retirement from NASA in 1979, he ran the Washington office of the Argonne National Laboratory in Argonne, Ill. There, he was manager of the special projects department in the engineering division until 1991.
He was a member of St. John's Episcopal Church in McLean and a volunteer at St. John's, Meals on Wheels and the Share charity organization.
His marriage to Helen Lazar ended in divorce.
Survivors include three children, Teri Lazar of Bryans Road, James G. Lazar of Bethesda and Janine Rust of Charlotte; a brother; and six grandchildren.