Sarah Louise Bryson


Sarah Louise Bryson, 86, a former elementary school teacher in Alexandria, died June 20 of injuries suffered in a fall. She lived at the Washington House, an Alexandria retirement home.

Mrs. Bryson came to Washington in 1941 and taught at Fickland, Charles Barrett and Minnie Howard elementary schools in Alexandria. She retired in 1963.

She was born in Mocksville, N.C., attended Pfeiffer College and graduated in 1939 from High Point College in North Carolina.

Her husband of 46 years, Woodrow Bryson, died in 1996.

Survivors include a daughter, Deborah Bryson-Blatchford of Remington, and a sister, Laura Faye McCormack of Chester, Va.

Emory Linwood Laskin

Former U.S. Marshal

Emory Linwood Laskin, 53, a former deputy U.S. marshal assigned to protect the chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, died June 19 of an acute intracranial hemorrhage at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Alexandria.

Mr. Laskin was born in Washington and graduated from Western High School.

He joined the Air Force in 1972 and served in Vietnam and Thailand as a technical sergeant. He retired from the Air Force Reserves in 1984.

From 1981 to 1988, Mr. Laskin served as a deputy U.S. marshal. He then worked as a truck driver for two disposal companies, AAA Rainbow and BFI Industries.

He was part of the Association for Thais in the Metro area. He also received awards from the U.S. Marshals Service and from BFI and AAA Rainbow for his safe-driving records.

Survivors include his wife, Tracy Laskin of Alexandria; a son, Thomas Laskin of Alexandria; three sisters, Susan Queen of Gaithersburg, Dory Denney of Fort Drum, N.Y., and Tootie Laskin of Springfield; three brothers, Tony Laskin of Argenta, Ill., Jeffrey Laskin of Forest Hill, Md., and Mark Laskin of Arlington; and a grandson.

Sharon Herriman Nickels


Sharon Herriman Nickels, 37, who did paralegal work for short periods at Washington area law firms and other businesses from the late 1980s to the late 1990s, died July 3 at Anne Arundel Medical Center. She had breast cancer.

Mrs. Nickels was born in Washington and raised in Bowie, where she was a 1985 graduate of Bowie High School. She was a 1989 graduate of the University of Maryland and in 1997 received a master's degree in business from Johns Hopkins University.

She was a member of Holy Family Catholic Church in Davidsonville, the Anne Arundel County community where she lived.

Survivors include her husband of 12 years, Robert Nickels, and their two sons, Riley Nickels and Evan Nickels, all of Davidsonville; her parents, Dave and Joanne Herriman of Crownsville; and a sister, Julie Floyd of Annapolis.

Lianne Conger

Board Member

Lianne Conger, 85, a former board member of the Northern Virginia Cancer Society, died of respiratory failure June 23 at a health care facility in Delray Beach, Fla.

Mrs. Conger had been married 55 years to Clement E. Conger, a former State Department and White House curator. He died in January.

The Congers were longtime Alexandria residents and lived briefly in Arlington before moving to Delray Beach in 2002.

Mrs. Conger was born Lianne Birch Hopkins in Los Angeles. She was the daughter of the founder and board chairman of General Dynamics Corp., the military contractor.

She was a graduate of George Washington University and settled in the Washington area in the 1940s.

Her memberships included the Sulgrave Club and the Junior League. She was a former vice regent of Kenmore, a historic estate in Fredericksburg. She did volunteer work with Planned Parenthood.

Survivors include three children, William Conger of Maurertown, Va., Jay Conger of Manhattan Beach, Calif., and Shelley Conger of Sherman Oaks, Calif.; and two grandchildren.

Cornelis 'Kees' Zwennes


Cornelis "Kees" Zwennes, 73, who had a jewelry store in Washington for more than 20 years, died July 3 of brain cancer at the Hospice of Washington. He lived in Reston.

Mr. Zwennes came to Washington in 1949 and apprenticed as a jeweler. From 1952 to 1958, he had a wholesale jewelry manufacturing business in the District. He opened his own shop, C. Zwennes Jewelers, in 1958 and operated it in Georgetown and later on Connecticut Avenue until retiring in 1982. He was also an appraiser of jewelry and art.

He was born in the Netherlands and grew up in The Hague. In retirement, he invested in real estate.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Christine Zwennes of Reston; and a brother.