Based on erroneous information provided by D.C. Police, the name of a youth, 17, who was slain early Sunday in Southeast Washington has been misspelled in several Metro articles. His name is Antwain Holroyd. (Published 7/17/04)

A 17-year-old youth from Prince George's County was arrested yesterday and charged in connection with Sunday's killing of two teenagers in Southeast Washington, D.C. police said.

They said the suspect was picked up in the District on a warrant charging him with first-degree murder in the fatal shootings of Antoine Holroyd, 17, and Michael E. Simms, 16. The suspect's name was not released because of his age.

Police said the attack on Pomeroy Road, in which five people were struck by gunfire, might have come as retaliation for an earlier incident. It might also have stemmed from a neighborhood rivalry or dispute, they said.

Police said they believe the suspect arrested yesterday fired a gun in the attack. At least one other person was still being sought.

A court appearance is scheduled for today for the 17-year-old, who lives in Suitland.

The killings of Holroyd and Simms, who were best friends, came at a time when the city's overall homicide rate has been falling but the number of fatal shootings of youths and children has increased.

Lt. David Jackson of the violent crimes division attributed the arrest to round-the-clock work by detectives who used anonymous tips and information obtained in interviews.

Jackson said the 17-year-old was arrested about 5 p.m. in the 4000 block of Wheeler Road SE, near Wahler Place.

He was being detained last night at the violent crimes division pending transfer.

Annette Holroyd, Antoine Holroyd's mother, declined to talk at length about the arrest until she received formal notification.

But in a brief telephone interview, she said of the suspect: "I just want to see his face and see how he feels. "

Simms's mother could not be reached immediately for comment.

Myra Brown, 19, of Southeast, who said she was a friend of Holroyd's, said the arrest "makes me feel way better, because you can't let [anybody] just walk around killing people. They're going to keep doing it."

Holroyd's relatives have said they could think of no reason that he and Simms would be killed and that three friends -- two 17-year-olds and a 22-year-old -- would be shot.

"It wasn't like they did anything to deserve this," Holroyd's sister, Catherine, told a reporter this week.

According to police accounts, Holroyd and Simms were standing with the other three about 1:15 a.m. Sunday in the 2900 block of Pomeroy Road, in the midst of a drab Anacostia apartment complex.

Police said that two men appeared and that at least one opened fire with a handgun. The two then drove off in a dark-colored SUV. The injuries to the three who were wounded were not believed to be life-threatening.

The warrant charges the suspect with one count of first-degree murder. It was not clear last night which death he was charged in.

In discussing possible motives, Jackson said the shootings might have represented a "getback," or some sort of payback for an earlier action, which he said might have been a crime of violence.

He also said that it was not clear whether Holroyd and Simms were the intended targets of the attack.

Family members have said that neither of the two was involved in drugs or gangs.

Relatives say Simms was a junior varsity football player at Ballou Senior High School, where he had just finished the 10th grade.

Holroyd, according to relatives, was a youth with a constant smile who had just finished 11th grade at the New School for Enterprise and Development, a charter school in Northeast.