Harriet S. Murphy


Harriet Persinger Searcy Murphy, 87, a retired social science analyst at the National Institute of Mental Health, died of renal disease July 11 at Potomac Manor Care.

Mrs. Murphy's work at NIMH, from 1954 to 1970, resulted in publications in professional journals about communication patterns in families of the mentally ill. She previously was a technical editor at the Library of Congress from 1949 to 1952 and had also been an interviewer for what is now the National Capital Housing Authority for two years in the early 1940s.

She was born in Tuscaloosa, Ala., and graduated from the University of Alabama, where she was a Phi Beta Kappa. She did post-graduate work at the Smith College School of School Work. She moved to the Washington area in 1940 and lived in Chevy Chase.

She was a member and volunteer with Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church, the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club and the American Sociological Association and was on the board of trustees at Green Acres School in Rockville. She also did committee work at Community Psychiatric Clinic in Bethesda.

Her husband of 51 years, Greer M. Murphy, died in 1991.

Survivors include two sons, Greer M. Murphy Jr. of Stanford, Calif., and Douglas A. Murphy of Chevy Chase; and two granddaughters.

Morgan F. Percy II

Civil Engineer

Morgan F. Percy II, 92, a retired civil engineer at the Pentagon, died of sepsis June 26 at Carriage Hill Nursing Home in Fredericksburg.

Mr. Percy was a native of Hoosick Falls, N.Y., and a civil engineering graduate of George Washington University.

He worked for the D.C. Highway Department, the U.S. Bureau of Standards and the Army Corps of Engineers in Iran and India. He retired from the Air Force Department in 1973.

He was a resident of Springfield, where he was a member of St. Mark's Lutheran Church. He served on the church council and was treasurer of its Montessori school and day-care center. He was an Eagle Scout and a Boy Scout leader, a volunteer with the Springfield Swim Club and a member of the Masons. He enjoyed collecting stamps and coins and reading mysteries.

His wife of 55 years, Marian N. Percy, died in 1999.

Survivors include two children, Karen Percy of Richmond and Morgan F. Percy III of Falls Church, and a sister.

Lorraine Ann Schrock

Marketing Specialist

Lorraine Ann Schrock, 69, a marketing specialist at the National Technical Information Service in the Commerce Department, died of renal failure July 7 at her home in Springfield.

Mrs. Schrock was born in Reynolds, Neb., with a curvature of the spine that required her to use braces as a child and orthopedic shoes throughout her life. She graduated from Grand Island Business College in Nebraska and took a bus to Washington in 1954.

She worked as a secretary in the Navy's Bureau of Aeronautics for five years, then switched to the Navy's Office of the Judge Advocate General.

In 1964, she worked as a secretary in the contract administrative offices of the secretary of defense. In 1966, she left the government to work as a bookkeeper at Sterling Air Conditioning, and a decade later she signed up with Kelly Services temp agency, where she worked until 1978. Her final job was at NTIS from 1978 until 2000, when she retired.

She received outstanding performance awards seven times. Mrs. Schrock, who used canes and a wheelchair, won the employee of the year award for disabled workers in 1983. She also served on NTIS's diversity council.

She was a member of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield and enjoyed making her home the hub of bridge clubs, neighborhood dinners and domino games.

Survivors include her husband of 46 years, Moe Schrock of Springfield; two children, Anna Gardner of Austin and Lewis Schrock of Houston; a brother; a sister; and two grandchildren.

Rita Antenucci Morrison

FTC Facilities Manager

Rita Antenucci Morrison, 54, who managed facilities and security at the Federal Trade Commission, died July 10 of lung cancer at Inova Fairfax Hospital. She lived in McLean.

Mrs. Morrison, who had worked at the FTC since 1998, coordinated the work spaces, lighting, furniture and telecommunications systems for the commission's new building, which opened in 2002, on New Jersey Avenue NW in Washington.

She spent two years planning the layout and interiors of the 200,000-square-foot building. In addition, she helped manage the FTC's security programs and administrative needs of its regional offices. She received a number of awards for her contributions to the agency.

Before joining the FTC, she worked for the Export-Import Bank of the United States from 1991 to 1998. She was executive assistant to the chairman and also served as a program and facilities manager. She supervised the interior design when the bank, a federal agency, rearranged its offices.

Mrs. Morrison was born in Italy and immigrated to the United States in 1954. She grew up in Brooklyn, N.Y., and attended Brooklyn College. She spent 16 years as an administrative assistant at the New York investment banking firm of Goldman Sachs.

Since moving to the Washington area in the mid-1980s, she had also been an executive assistant with the John B. Coleman Co., a hotel ownership firm; an office administrator with the Towers Perrin consulting firm; and telecommunications systems administrator of the Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue law firm.

Ms. Morrison was a volunteer at the Columbia Pike thrift shop in Arlington. She was a member of St. Thomas a Becket Catholic Church in Reston.

Survivors include her husband of 18 years, Richard E. Morrison of McLean; a sister, Ann Gioino of Glen Cove, N.Y.; and a brother, Tony Antenucci of Arlington.

Harriet Ann Halbert

CIA Officer, China Expert

Harriet Ann Halbert, 52, a reports officer in the Central Intelligence Agency's directorate of operations, died of ovarian cancer July 11 at her home in McLean.

Ms. Halbert, who lived in the Washington area for 21 years, went to work for the CIA in 1985. Earlier, she was a research fellow in Chinese literature at the University of Arizona.

She was a native of Alice, Tex., and received bachelor's and master's degrees in Chinese literature from the University of Arizona.

She studied for a year at Taiwan National University and did additional graduate work at the University of Washington.

Ms. Halbert was a member of the Airedale Terrier Club of Metropolitan Washington and Lewinsville Presbyterian Church in McLean. She gardened and had a special interest in herbs.

Survivors include her husband, Robert D. Hunter, and two children, Lee Hunter and Robert "Tug" Hunter, all of McLean; and a sister, Karen Halbert of Alexandria.

Ethel G. Harvey

Girl Scout Leader

Ethel G. Harvey, 94, who was the first black president of the Girl Scout Council of the Nation's Capital, died June 24 of a lung ailment at Sacred Heart Home in Hyattsville. She had lived in Mount Rainier for many years.

Miss Harvey spent more than 45 years as a volunteer scout leader, beginning with a Brownie troop in the 1940s, and assumed many leadership roles in scouting organizations. In 1963, she was instrumental in merging five Girl Scout councils from the District, Maryland and Virginia into an areawide group called the Girl Scout Council of the Nation's Capital.

She was president of the organization from 1972 to 1978, the first African American to hold the position. The annual president's award, the highest honor for Girl Scouts in the area, is named for Miss Harvey. The area has about 4,000 Girl Scout troops with 72,000 members.

Until 1990, she continued to work in scouting as a troop leader, a chair of an oral history project and a trainer. She traveled throughout the United States, Mexico, Canada and Europe to train Girl Scout leaders.

Miss Harvey was born in Washington, graduated from Dunbar High School and attended Howard University. In the early 1940s, she worked for the Social Security Administration in Baltimore. From 1945 to 1967, she was a clerk at the old Freedmen's Hospital at Howard University.

For more than 30 years, she was a member of the Mount Pleasant Baptist Church in the District. She taught Sunday school, played piano, helped establish a library and instructed new church members. She was known at her church as Mother Harvey.

There are no immediate survivors.

Victor Edmund Hunter

British Embassy Worker

Victor Edmund Hunter, 85, who served on the staff of the British embassy and later worked at Fairfax Hospital, died July 5 at the Capital Hospice in Arlington. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Hunter joined the British Civil Service in 1969 after a 29-year career in the British army. From 1973 to 1979, he worked as a clerk at the British embassy in Washington, receiving and transmitting messages through diplomatic communications systems.

After retiring from the embassy, he joined what is now Inova Fairfax Hospital, where he helped manage computers and other equipment. He retired in 1989.

He was a member of the community watch program in the Columbia Pines neighborhood of Annandale, where he lived for more than 25 years.

Mr. Hunter was born in London. During World War II, he served in North Africa and was later assigned to the Middle East and Germany.

Survivors include his wife of 40 years, Anneliese Hunter of Annandale; a daughter, Elke Marechal of Woodbridge; and a sister.

Carolyn Hayes White

Nonprofit Director

Carolyn Hayes White, 70, the former leader of a Falls Church organization for people with disabilities, died July 12 at her home at the Virginian in Fairfax. She had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Mrs. White was born in Holdenville, Okla., and attended Monticello College for Women in Alton, Ill., before graduating from the University of Oklahoma with a degree in journalism and communication in 1955.

She worked briefly at the Tulsa World and the Northern Virginia Sun newspapers. The bulk of her career was spent serving as executive director of the Arc of Northern Virginia, formerly known as the Association of Retarded Citizens, an organization that works with and for people with disabilities. Mrs. White worked at Arc during the 1970s and co-wrote a training manual on establishing group homes for mentally handicapped adults that was used for program development in 38 states.

"She was instrumental in establishing the first group home in Northern Virginia for mentally handicapped children and the first transportation system in Northern Virginia for them, too," said Joe McHugh, mayor of Bethany Beach, Del., who succeeded her at Arc. "She was instrumental in establishing the cooperative school for handicapped, which was phased out when the public schools took over, . . . and in spearheading the building of the Northern Virginia training center."

She retired from that job in 1980, but continued to volunteer. She also founded Yesterday's Rose Thrift Shop, the Falls Church shop that supports the Arc. Mrs. White was a member of the Virginia and National Arcs and the National Council of Executives of Arcs.

She became a licensed Realtor in 1984, affiliated with several brokerages. She was a member of Dulin United Methodist Church in Falls Church.

Her 36-year marriage to Richard Henry White Jr. ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter, Ann Calvert White-Brown of Vienna; and two grandchildren.

Louisa Bowditch Parker


Louisa Bowditch Barbour Parker, 83, a philanthropist, died of ischemic colitis July 9 at Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis, Mass. She was a resident of McLean.

Mrs. Parker was born in Boston and educated at Winsor School and through extensive travel through Europe, Africa and South America under the tutelage of her father, who held the Louis Agassiz Chair of Comparative Zoology at Harvard University.

She married a naval officer and followed him to posts in Philadelphia, Honolulu, Newport, R.I., Palos Verdes and Pebble Beach, Calif., and finally McLean, where she lived from 1962 until her death. She had summered at Chatham, Mass., for the past 37 years.

An ardent naturalist, Mrs. Parker was dedicated to causes advancing land conservation and wildlife preservation. She also donated to causes dedicated to supporting children in poverty.

She was a voracious reader and enjoyed riding and horse racing, needlework and her gardens. She was a member of the Chatham Beach and Tennis Club, the Stage Harbor Yacht Club and the Ladies' Sewing Bee of McLean.

Her husband of 53 years, Capt. Jefferson D. Parker, died in 2002.

Survivors include eight children, William B. Parker of Cape Coral, Fla., Maida C. St. Hilaire of McLean, David Parker Jr. of Tuxedo Park, N.Y., Thomas J. Parker of Woodberry Forest, Va., Nathaniel B. Parker of Marietta, Ga., Robert S. Parker of East Greenwich, R.I., Rosamond P. Smythe of Medfield, Mass., and Patrick W.N. Parker of Satsuma, Ala.; and 13 grandchildren.

Margaret Florence Taylor


Margaret Florence Taylor, 89, a volunteer who lived in the Washington area for more than 30 years, died of cardiopulmonary arrest July 3 at her home in Alexandria.

She was born in Cleveland and worked as a pharmacy technician for five years as she put her husband through school after World War II.

While her husband studied to be a deacon in the Catholic Church, Mrs. Taylor took classes with him. After his ordination, she worked with him in ministries at St. Dominic church, the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament and Inova Alexandria Hospital.

Her husband, Eugene Joseph Taylor, died in 1983.

She leaves no immediate survivors.