Christopher Leo Rooney

Sales Director

Christopher Leo Rooney, 37, a sales director of a Largo printing company who also owned and operated a mass mailing service provider, died of a pulmonary embolism July 14 at Anne Arundel Medical Center. He lived in Bowie.

Mr. Rooney ran his own business, Liberty Mailing Services, while working at Chroma Graphics in Largo for the past three years. Earlier, he worked in sales for other Washington area printing companies.

Mr. Rooney was born in Cheverly and raised in Washington, where he graduated from Archbishop Carroll High School.

He was a member of Holy Family Catholic Church in Davidsonville and the Knights of Columbus.

Survivors include his wife, Kimberley Rooney, and their daughter, Alexis Rooney, both of Bowie; his parents, Thomas and Angela Rooney of Washington; and a sister.

James Renwick Thomson

Navy Captain

James Renwick Thomson, 85, a retired Navy captain who spent the latter part of his career working for the Bureau of Naval Personnel, died of a brain tumor July 13 at his home in McLean.

Capt. Thomson, who had lived in McLean since 1964, was born in Cavalier, N.D., and raised in Spokane, Wash.

He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis in 1941 and was a naval aviator during World War II. He was assigned to the heavy cruiser Pensacola and was executive officer of air Squadron 86 on the aircraft carrier Wasp in the Pacific.

He also took part in combat missions in Korea during the war there.

His military decorations included the Distinguished Flying Cross.

After his Korean War service, Capt. Thomson attended the Naval War College in Newport, R.I., and taught Naval science at the Army Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. He then traveled to the island of Malta for an assignment with NATO at the headquarters of the allied forces in the Mediterranean.

Capt. Thomson joined the Bureau of Naval Personnel in 1964 and rose to director of the promotion and retirement division. He retired in 1974 but continued to work for the agency under active duty retirement status until 1978.

In retirement, he piloted tour boats for the Potomac River Pilots Association.

His wife of 54 years, Babette Thomson, died in January.

Survivors include three children, James W. Thomson of Berkeley, Calif., Laurie T. Myers of Yorktown, Va., and Pattie T. Gillispie of Atlanta; a sister; a brother; and four grandchildren.

Susan Emily Perry

Alexandria Preservationist

Susan Emily Risheill Perry, 100, a lifelong resident of Alexandria who worked to preserve the city she knew so well and who often served as a resource for local historians, died of a stroke July 18 in the Alexandria home her father built in 1910.

Mrs. Perry was born in 1904 on the same block of Chambers Street where she was living at her death. When she was a child, her paternal grandfather, J. R. N. Curtain, owned an iron foundry at Wilks and Royal streets, where the Old Town Safeway is now located. Her father, Lawrence Risheill, operated a lumber mill at the same site.

She was a graduate of the old Alexandria High School and Mary Washington College in Fredericksburg. She was one of the last living teachers from Alexandria Academy, the city's oldest school, established in 1785 by George Washington. She also was the only living charter member of the Alexandria Hospital Auxiliary, having joined when she was 16.

Mrs. Perry's husband, Frank, was a violinist, and Mrs. Perry, an accomplished soprano, performed with him in many musical venues. They married in 1931. She often talked about being the first person to sing on the radio in Northern Virginia, on WJSV sometime in the late 1920s to early 1930s, said her son, Frank Perry.

Mrs. Perry was a font of local history. She could trace the lineage of old Alexandria families, tell where they lived, what businesses they owned and who they married.

In the early 1950s, she and two close friends, Charles H. Henderson and Augusta Taylor, were determined to save the First Baptist Church building in the 200 block of South Washington Street after the congregation relocated. (Five generations of Mrs. Perry's family, including Mrs. Perry, were members of the church.) Through hard work, determination and faith, Mrs. Perry and her friends found a way for private citizens to purchase the old church building, and Downtown Baptist Church became a reality. It thrives today, after more than a half century in existence.

In addition to her son, of Clifton, survivors include two grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

Donald James Neubauer

Structural Engineer

Donald James Neubauer, 82, a structural engineer who helped construct notable buildings in the area, including the outdoor flight cage of the National Zoo's birdhouse and Ogara Hall at Georgetown University, died July 9 at his home in the District. He had metastatic cancer.

He was chief engineer at Georgetown University in the 1980s.

Mr. Neubauer was born in Virginia, Minn., and graduated from the University of Minnesota with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering in 1944 and a master of science degree in 1947. During World War II, he served with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in the Philippines.

He moved to the District in 1957 and formed various partnerships over the years, including Neubauer-Sohn Consulting Engineers Inc., founded in 1979. He sold the business to his sons in 1996.

Mr. Neubauer, who never retired, also worked on Fairfax Hospital, the restoration of the Auditors Building complex and on the renovation of the Morrison Clark Hotel. He was a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Ingrid Neubauer of the District; three sons, Peter Neubauer and Robert Neubauer of Arlington and Max Neubauer of Atlanta; two granddaughters; and a brother.

James G. Boland

Naval Historian, Analyst

James G. Boland, 73, who spent 26 years as a civilian employee of the Navy Department, died July 7 of cancer at his home in Burke.

He was a longtime worker in the Naval Data Automation Command, where he worked in data collection and analysis. On his retirement in 1985, he was given an award for superior civilian service.

He was on active duty with the Navy from 1953 to 1959, serving initially on the USS Pittsburgh. He was later assigned to the Naval Historical Center in Washington, where he edited the first volume of the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. He left active duty with the rank of lieutenant.

Mr. Boland was born in Oneonta, N.Y., and graduated from Hartwick College in Oneonta. He received a master's degree in political science and history from Syracuse University in 1953.

He lived in Springfield from 1959 to 1971, when he moved to Burke. He was a member of Holy Spirit Catholic Church in Annandale. He was also a former vice president of the Springfield Youth Club, for which he coached basketball.

Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Jean H. Boland of Burke; three sons, Timothy Boland of Mechanicsville, Md., retired Army Staff Sgt. John Boland of Lakewood, Wash., and Michael Boland of Burke; and five grandchildren.

Ruth Adams Glennan

Reston Community Organizer

Ruth Adams Glennan, 94, one of the first residents of Reston and an active member of the League of Women Voters of Northern Virginia and other community organizations, died July 18 at the Collington Life Care Community in Mitchellville. She had bullous pemphigoid disease, an autoimmune illness.

She was also the widow of the first administrator of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

Mrs. Glennan was born in Madison, Wis., the daughter of Elizabeth Matthews Adams and Thomas Sewall Adams, a Yale University economics professor who was instrumental in developing the first income tax. Mrs. Glennan graduated from Vassar College in 1931, the only economics major in her class.

She was married that same year to T. Keith Glennan. Her husband was the president of Case Institute of Technology at the time he was tapped to head NASA, and later was ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna, Austria. He died in 1995.

Mrs. Glennan never worked outside the home, but after the Glennan family moved to Reston in 1965, she became a leader in organizing the common life of the new community, supporting the development of churches, libraries and schools.

A lifelong learner, she organized and participated in book and reading groups wherever she lived. After she and her husband moved into the Collington retirement community in 1990, she took autobiography classes and wrote stories for her children and grandchildren about times long past.

She studied classical philosophy and current events through "Great Decisions," a world affairs educational program sponsored by the Foreign Policy Association, until her 93rd year.

A son, Thomas K. Glennan Jr. of McLean, died in April.

Survivors include three daughters, the Rev. Catherine G. Borchert of Cleveland, Pauline G. Watts of St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, and Sarah G. Oldham of Annapolis; nine grandchildren; and 18 great-grandchildren.