Thomas E. Hughes

Library of Congress Official

Thomas Emory Hughes, 78, a longtime Library of Congress technical information specialist who also worked for the International Atomic Energy Commission and the Energy Department, died July 16 at the Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care in Towson. He had pancreatic cancer.

Mr. Hughes worked at the Library of Congress from 1947 to 1980. He retired as a senior information systems project manager, working on computer and other technical systems.

With the IAEC from 1981 to 1985, he was based in Vienna, setting up computer systems for member countries.

At Energy from 1985 to 1989, he retired as deputy manager of the office of scientific and technical information in Oak Ridge, Tenn. He also was a curator of the American Museum of Science and Energy in Oak Ridge.

He returned to the Washington area from Oak Ridge in January and at his death lived with a daughter in Columbia.

Mr. Hughes was a native Washingtonian and a 1946 magna cum laude graduate of St. Mary's Seminary and University in Baltimore. He attended George Washington University and the University of Houston. He was an Army veteran of the Korean War.

In the early 1960s, he briefly left the federal government to help start a scientific and technical documents company, Scripta Technica, and was its executive vice president.

A horticulturist, he was a member of the American Rhododendron Society, the American Orchid Society and the American Hemerocallis Society.

He was proficient in German, Spanish and Russian and had a working knowledge of six other languages.

His marriage to Beverly Hughes ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Beverly Ann McCalmont Hughes, whom he married in 1981, of Clarksville; four children from his first marriage, Marie Clementson of Columbia, Richard Hughes of Kodak, Tenn., Stephen Hughes of Clarksburg and Margaret Hughes of Frederick; three brothers, Monsignor Richard Hughes of Upper Marlboro, the Rev. Robert Hughes of Dayton, Ohio, and Paul Hughes of Centennial, Colo.; four sisters, Marianne Hughes of Hyattsville, Ellen Burgess of Chevy Chase, Carol Hermann of Camp Springs and Teresa Cullen of Claremont, Calif.; 13 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Richard Henry Ford

Former Merchant Mariner

Richard Henry Ford, 80, a former merchant mariner and government relations official for an American flag steamship company, died July 19 at Inova Fairfax Hospital of complications of a stroke. He lived in Fairfax.

Mr. Ford was born in Eagle Grove, Iowa. After graduating from high school in Moline, Ill., he entered the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, beginning a lifelong career in the maritime industry.

During World War II, Mr. Ford sailed as a cadet midshipman and later as a licensed deck officer aboard merchant vessels in the North Atlantic and the Mediterranean.

After his graduation from the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in 1944, Mr. Ford served aboard merchant vessels for six years. He concluded his seagoing career by sailing as captain of the SS Robin Trent. He was 25.

In 1949, he began working for Farrell Lines, an American flag steamship company. He would work for the company for more than 45 years. In 1954, he was cited for heroism after he directed vessels to a place of safety during a pier-side explosion and fire in Brooklyn.

Mr. Ford worked in marine operations in New York for more than 20 years before being promoted to vice president of government relations and assuming his new duties in Washington in 1976. He retired in 1995, but continued working as a consultant for the company until 1997. He was a life member, since 1974, of the Marine Society of the City of New York.

Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Julia Cannon Ford of Fairfax; six children, Richard H. Ford Jr. of Fairfax, Charles A. Ford of Portland, Ore., Robert B. Ford of Chantilly, Douglas L. Ford of Sterling, Roger P. Ford of Manassas and Cynthia F. Batchelder of Linden, Va.; 14 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Albert Theodore Hattenburg

Atomic Physicist

Albert Theodore "Ted" Hattenburg, 76, an atomic physicist with the National Institute of Standards and Technology, died July 9 of lung cancer at Montgomery Hospice's Casey House in Rockville. He lived in Kensington.

Mr. Hattenburg performed a variety of complex studies using spectroscopic analysis and other advanced techniques. Among his research interests were the measurement of optical radiation and the conservation of energy through specially designed lighting systems. He was with NIST and its predecessor, the National Bureau of Standards, from 1955 to 1986.

He was born and raised in Kankakee, Ill. In the years immediately after World War II, he served in both the Navy and the Army. From 1951 to 1955, he commanded a Coast Guard cutter based in Norfolk.

He graduated from the University of Colorado in 1951 and received a master's degree in physics from the University of Maryland in 1961.

Mr. Hattenburg lived in Wheaton for 35 years and was a community activist who testified before the Washington Metropolitan Transit Authority that Metro's Red Line should be extended to its present terminus of Glenmont. He coached youth football and basketball teams in the 1960s and 1970s.

After the death of his wife of 30 years, Mary Ricca Hattenburg, in 1986, he was a member of Parents Without Partners, organizing group activities for single parents.

Survivors include his companion of 10 years, Joan Kamprad of Kensington; five children, Laura Romersa of Nashville, Catherine Hattenburg of Glen Arm, Md., Raymond Hattenburg of Frederick and Carl Hattenburg and Lawrence Hattenburg, both of Mount Airy; and six grandchildren.

Richard Spencer Cleveland

Nuclear Safety Expert

Richard Spencer Cleveland, 74, a specialist on nuclear safety with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, died July 16 at Washington Hospital Center. He was injured in a traffic accident July 10, apparently after having a heart attack while driving. He lived in Montgomery Village.

Mr. Cleveland spent 30 years with the Atomic Energy Commission and its successor agency, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. He began his government service in 1955 as a member of the Public Health Service assigned to monitor radiation fallout from nuclear tests on islands in the Pacific.

In 1958, he joined the AEC in New York, where he conducted inspections and investigations of nuclear materials. In 1970, he transferred to AEC headquarters in Bethesda, where his work included managing the environmental impact of nuclear power plants, reviewing emergency plans for reactor accidents and coordinating research on reactor safety. He retired in 1988.

Mr. Cleveland was born in Potsdam, N.Y., and graduated from St. Lawrence University in Canton, N.Y. He did graduate work in physics and radiation biology at the University of Rochester.

In retirement, he became a dedicated birdwatcher. He led birdwatching walks in Gaithersburg and traveled around the world to observe birds. He was treasurer of the Maryland Ornithological Society.

He was a past president of the local chapter of the National Association of Retired Federal Employees. He had been a Boy Scout leader in Montgomery County and was a member of Montgomery County's Friends of the Library. He was a longtime member of Epworth United Methodist Church in Gaithersburg. He enjoyed tennis, concerts and military history.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Marjorie Cleveland of Montgomery Village, who was injured in the same crash; three children, Nancy Laura Cleveland of Chicago, David Owen Cleveland of Hampstead, Md., and Mark Wiley Cleveland of Silver Spring; and four grandchildren.

Mary Louise Tweedy


Mary Louise King Tweedy, 89, a Chevy Chase resident who formerly did volunteer work for the American Red Cross blood bank and the Friends of Music program at the Smithsonian Institution, died July 16 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She had pneumonia.

Mrs. Tweedy was born in Plainfield, N.J. She had a home in the Washington area starting around 1950 and accompanied her husband on his occasional CIA assignments abroad.

She was a member of the Junior League and St. Alban's Episcopal Church in Washington.

Survivors include her husband of 64 years, Bronson Tweedy of Chevy Chase; two children, Lawrence Tweedy of Albuquerque and Anne Tiffany of Leesburg; a brother; and two grandchildren.