Neal Maxwell

Mormon Leader

Neal Maxwell, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, one of the highest-ranking bodies of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died July 21 of leukemia. He was 78.

Mr. Maxwell previously served as a member of the Presidency of the First Quorum of the Seventy from 1976 to 1981, and as an assistant to the Twelve from 1974 to 1976.

A lifelong educator, Mr. Maxwell was executive vice president at the University of Utah when he was appointed commissioner of education for the Church Educational System, where he served from 1970 to 1976. Earlier, he served as a legislative assistant to U.S. Sen. Wallace F. Bennett (R-Utah) and as director of several businesses, including Questar Pipeline and Deseret News Publishing Co. He was a prolific writer, producing about 30 books on religious topics.

Josef Scaylea

Northwest Photographer

Josef Scaylea, 91, who photographed Mount Rainier and other Pacific Northwest places and faces during a 50-year career, died July 19. He had heart disease.

His work behind the camera included seven books, more than 1,000 photography awards and 35 years at the Seattle Times, most as chief photographer. His work was also published in Look magazine, Newsweek, Sports Illustrated, Life and the Saturday Evening Post.

Mr. Scaylea was named West Coast Photographer of the Year 10 times and was named one of the 10 top press photographers of the nation 10 times.

Farouk Abdel-Muhti

Palestinian Activist

Farouk Abdel-Muhti, a Palestinian activist who sued the federal government for allegedly holding him longer than its standards allow, died of a heart attack July 21 after giving a speech in Philadelphia, officials said. He was 56.

Mr. Abdel-Muhti was born in 1947 in the West Bank city of Ramallah. He came to the United States in the early 1970s but overstayed his visa, finding work as a vendor and advocating Palestinian causes. The U.S. government tried to deport him several times but was unable to find a country willing to take him. Israeli officials could not find his name on a list of residents of the occupied territories, according to court documents.

After missing a hearing in 1995, he was again ordered deported but remained free until April 2002, when federal agents seeking to question him as part of the investigation into the World Trade Center attacks took him into custody at his apartment in New York City. A federal judge in Harrisburg, Pa., ordered Mr. Abdel-Muhti to be released earlier this year, saying the government did not prove that he was to blame for the fact that he had not been deported.