The July 27 obituary for Tristan Corl Hauer, a trumpeter and retired school principal, incorrectly stated the number of years Mr. Hauer and his wife, June Hauer, were married. They were married 32 years. (Published 7/28/04)

Mildred H. 'Mickey' Wood

Girl Scout Volunteer, Homemaker

Mildred H. "Mickey" Wood, 93, a volunteer and church member, died July 1 at Hanover Hospital in Hanover, Pa.

Mrs. Wood was born in Hartselle, Ala., and moved to the Washington area after she married in 1931. She lived in Washington and Arlington and volunteered with the Washington Area Council of Girl Scouts. She was a member of Calvary Methodist Episcopal Church in the District.

She enjoyed traveling and saw the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 and walked on the Great Wall of China. The majority of her life, though, was devoted to housekeeping, baking and cooking.

In 2000, she moved to a retirement home in New Oxford, Pa., where she was living at the time of her death.

Survivors include a daughter, Jan W. Zimmerman of New Oxford, and a granddaughter.

Albert K. Mode

Retired Army Colonel

Albert K. Mode, 73, a retired U.S. Army colonel who won the Legion of Merit and a Bronze Star during two tours of duty in Vietnam, died June 26 at Inova Fairfax Hospital of cardiac arrest.

Col. Mode was born in Shelby, N.C. He joined the Army in 1948 and was commissioned in 1951. In addition to his tours of duty in Vietnam, he served in Okinawa, Japan, in France and in Washington and was trained in logistics.

He received an undergraduate degree from the University of Maryland in 1971 and moved to Annandale that same year.

His last assignment was with the military traffic command at Fort Myer. He retired in 1981.

Col. Mode worked as an office administrator for Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. before retiring again in 1986.

Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Rebecca Mode of Annandale; three children, Lynn Creasy of Brentwood, Tenn., Kimi Hogan of Baltimore and Albert K. Mode Jr. of Alexandria; a stepmother, Ialeen Mode of Durham, N.C.; two stepsisters; and three grandchildren.

Thelma Wemyss Robertson

Neighborhood Activist

Thelma Wemyss Robertson, 79, a longtime Alexandria resident who worked in the General Accounting Office during World War II, died July 18 of complications from lung cancer at the Virginia Hospital Center-Arlington.

Mrs. Robertson was born in Warren County, N.C. She came to Washington as a "government girl," working at the GAO while her husband, Foster B. Robertson, was in the Navy fighting in the Pacific theater.

After the war, she, her husband and their son settled in Alexandria. She became a bookkeeper in the accounting department of Kann's department store in the District and stayed until the store closed in the 1970s. She subsequently stayed at home and, with her husband, was active in the Neighborhood Watch Program.

Survivors include her husband of 60 years, of Alexandria; a son, John Robertson of Herndon; two granddaughters; a sister; and brother.

Tristan Corl Hauer

Trumpeter, Retired School Principal

Tristan Corl Hauer, 83, a musician and retired Fairfax County school principal, died July 14 of atrial fibrillation and regurgitation at his home in Falls Church.

Mr. Hauer played trumpet with big bands in the D.C. area beginning in the 1940s and with the Redskins band in more recent years.

A native of Alexandria, he lived in the District and attended the old Central High School. He served in the Army Air Force from 1940 until 1943, where he played in the U.S. Army Air Forces Band. He graduated from George Washington University in 1944 with a degree in music and received a master's in education from Catholic University in the late 1940s.

Throughout the 1950s, he played with Sidney's Orchestra and the Howard-Devron Band and at the annual Gridiron Club dinner.

In the mid-1950s, he became a band teacher at Falls Church High School and then band director. From 1960 until 1963, he was an assistant principal at Mark Twain Middle School in Fairfax County. He was a principal at two Fall Church middle schools -- Whittier, from 1963 to 1970, and Longfellow, from 1970 until his retirement in 1978.

Mr. Hauer continued to play the trumpet both as a school administrator and after his retirement. "He loved it," his wife, June, said. "He would practice the trumpet at school and then go on to his engagement."

Mr. Hauer was a member of the D.C. Federation of Musicians Local 161-710 AFM.

His marriage to Jean Hauer ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 21 years, of Falls Church; three children from his first marriage, Dean Hauer of the District, Nicia Beck of Dover, Del., and Peter Hauer of Manassas; a daughter from his second marriage, Tami Cranford of Ashburn; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Dorothy James Gist


Dorothy James Gist, 92, an administrator and a volunteer, died of congestive heart failure July 21 at a Lewisville, Tex., assisted living center.

Mrs. Gist was born in Jackson, Miss., and lived in Washington from 1930 to 1946. She also lived in the Washington area from 1977 to 1999.

She attended Howard University and was a fellow in organizational and community systems at Johns Hopkins University, concentrating on volunteerism.

Mrs. Gist worked as an employee relations officer in the Office of Price Administration during World War II and then became the first black to become an employment and placement interviewer for the Department of Labor in Washington and Chicago. In 1958, she worked at the University of Chicago. She later worked at Michael Reese Hospital and at Northwestern University's medical school as an administrator and an administrative director.

Upon her retirement in 1974, she moved to Freeport on Grand Bahama Island, where she lived for three years. She then returned to the D.C. area, living in Columbia and Silver Spring, and in 1999 moved to Texas.

She served on the board of governors and as treasurer of the Woman's National Democratic Club. She was also a member of the Women's Committee for the National Symphony Orchestra; a trustee of the National Choral Foundation; a member of Grace Episcopal Church in Silver Spring and the Episcopal Diocese of Washington; and director of volunteers at Howard County Hospital.

Her husband of 19 years, William E. Gist, died in 1967.

Survivors include a daughter, Nancy E. Gist of Washington, and a son, Rashid A. Rahim of Coppell, Tex.

Grayston Wayne Chapman

Police Officer

Grayston Wayne Chapman, 93, a former D.C. police captain, died of a heart attack July 11 at Inova Alexandria Hospital. He was a Winchester resident.

Mr. Chapman was born in Indiana and moved to the Washington area at a young age. He worked at St. Elizabeths Hospital and briefly owned a gas station near Rockville.

In 1939, Mr. Chapman joined the Metropolitan Police Department and worked mostly in the robbery division. He eventually worked his way up to captain of the detectives bureau. He retired in 1971.

He moved to Woodstock, Va., where he became active in Woodstock United Methodist Church, helping at pancake breakfasts, working in the cornfields and making wooden toys for charity. He was also a Mason and a charter member of the Poplar Hollow Rod and Gun Club in Star Tannery, Va.

Survivors include his wife of 71 years, Gertrude Chapman of Alexandria; a son, Edward Chapman of Winchester; two sisters; two grandsons; and a great-grandson.