Man slain: A 42-year-old Capitol Heights man was fatally shot late Monday a few blocks from his home, police said yesterday.

Edward W. Carey, of the 1600 block of Dewitt Avenue, was found about 10 p.m. in the 1300 block of Edgewick Avenue with a gunshot wound to the upper body. He was taken to Prince George's Hospital Center in Cheverly, where he was pronounced dead.


Youth charged: D.C. police yesterday arrested a 14-year-old boy on charges of unauthorized use of a vehicle in a crash that killed a 21-year-old man riding a motor scooter.

Police have arrested four other juveniles -- two 13-year-olds, a 14-year-old and a 16-year-old -- in the July 2 crash in the 4400 block of G Street NE. Police said the juveniles were driving a stolen van that crashed into a scooter being ridden by Terry A. Weaver of Southeast.

Ex-council member in court: Former D.C. Council member Douglas E. Moore appeared yesterday in D.C. Superior Court on a charge of simple assault.

Moore, a council member in the mid-1970s who ran for mayor in 2002, allegedly assaulted a process server who had come to his house in the 7100 block of Alaska Avenue NW on June 30.

According to charging documents presented yesterday in court, Moore said he had already paid the $300 owed and proceeded to grab the woman under her left arm and drag her toward the door before ordering her out. The woman called police after the incident. Last week, an arrest warrant was issued for Moore. He pleaded not guilty yesterday.

Burglar sentenced: A 44-year-old man was sentenced yesterday to 16 years in prison for a string of burglaries in Northwest Washington, the U.S. attorney's office said.

Ralph J. Franks, who was caught in November as he fled with a woman's purse, pleaded guilty last month in D.C. Superior Court to four counts of second-degree burglary.

After his arrest in the 4400 block of Reservoir Road NW, Franks, of the 3800 block of Fifth Street NW, eventually admitted committing 12 burglaries, prosecutors said.


Office robbed: A woman wearing a ski mask robbed a doctor's office in McLean on Monday but dropped the money as she was running away, Fairfax County police said yesterday.

The woman walked into the office in the 8300 block of Old Courthouse Road about 2:30 p.m., brandishing a gun. An employee in the office handed over an undisclosed amount of cash, and the robber fled toward the parking lot. But employees in the office apparently yelled for help, police spokeswoman Mary Mulrenan said, causing employees from other doctors' offices to step outside.

"That's when the robber tried to hide the money and dropped it," Mulrenan said.

Compiled from reports by staff writers.