James C. Tergis

Falls Church Businessman

James Christopher Tergis, 87, who owned and operated Falls Church Picture Frame Shop, a custom framing business, from 1980 to 1999, died July 24 at a nursing home in Pawleys Island, S.C. He had congestive heart failure.

Mr. Tergis was a computer analyst for the Navy Department early in his career and then for the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. for 12 years before retiring in 1980.

Making picture frames had been his hobby before he started his business.

Mr. Tergis was born in Nashua, N.H., and raised in the Bronx, N.Y. He served with the Army in Europe during World War II and participated in battles in the Ardennes, Normandy and the Rhineland.

He settled in the Washington area after the war. In 1999, he moved from Falls Church to Pawleys Island. He was a member of the Elks.

His marriage to Celia Conrad Tergis ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Mary Lester Tergis of Pawleys Island; a son from his first marriage, James J. Tergis of Woodbridge; a brother; two sisters; and two grandchildren.

Sidney Anderson Taylor

Electrical Engineer

Sidney Anderson Taylor, 71, a longtime senior engineer with the Johns Hopkins University applied physics laboratory, died of cancer July 23 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Taylor was born in Washington and graduated from Augusta Military Academy in Fort Defiance. He took classes at several universities, primarily the University of Maryland, with an emphasis on electrical engineering, and went to work at Johns Hopkins in 1951. He retired in 1996 and worked for the next eight years as a consultant with TSC/BIRD in the Navy Phalanx missile program.

Mr. Taylor was a specialist in radar and signal processing and had several patents to his credit. He received the Navy Meritorious Public Service Award and a plaque recognizing his contributions to the Navy Surface Missile Systems.

He had lived in Silver Spring since 1953.

Mr. Taylor's wife, Barbara Lee Taylor, died in 2002. A son, Sidney Taylor Jr., died in the early 1950s, and a daughter, Cathy Koehn, died in 1989.

Survivors include four children, John Taylor and Matthew Taylor, both of Silver Spring, Bradley Taylor of Elkridge, Kimberly Walker of Shepherdstown, W.Va., and Robin Taylor of Gillespie, Ill.; 11 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Dorothy W. Margulin

Retail Employee

Dorothy W. Margulin, 96, who worked for 40 years in the retail trade in the Washington area, died of congestive heart failure July 6 at the Collingswood Nursing Facility in Rockville, where she lived.

Born in Dansville, N.Y., she moved to Washington when she was about 11 years old and attended high school here. She married and raised a family and worked in a variety of clerking and administrative jobs at Hecht's, Jelleff's and Woodward & Lothrop department stores. She also worked at the Margulin family's upholstery shop in Alexandria, retiring from there in 1976.

Mrs. Margulin was a member of Faith United Methodist Church in Rockville and was a resident of the Bethany House of Rockville until two years ago. She enjoyed knitting, and each year she donated boxes of her baby hats to St. Ann's Infant and Maternity Home.

Her marriage to Edward Payne ended in divorce. Her husband of 32 years, Charles Margulin, died in 1972. A daughter from her first marriage, Betty Lorraine Payne, died in 1943.

Survivors include two children from her first marriage, Helen Marie Rosner of Ashburn and Edward M. Payne of Fairfax; seven grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; and nine great-great-grandchildren.

Robert Francis Reitemeier

Soil, Plant Expert

Robert Francis Reitemeier, 92, a former soils expert with the Atomic Energy Commission and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, died of pneumonia and diabetes-related ailments July 25 at Salisbury Rehabilitation and Nursing Center/Genesis ElderCare. He had recently moved to the Salisbury facility from Leisure World in Silver Spring.

Dr. Reitemeier was a chemist who specialized in assessing the effects of atomic energy on soil and plants. In 1956, he transferred to the AEC as a soil scientist in the biology branch. Three years later, he served as the government's coordinator for an international agricultural conference held at the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations in Rome.

After serving as assistant chief of the AEC's Environmental Sciences Branch in the Division of Biology and Medicine, he retired in 1972 with 33 years of government service.

Dr. Reitemeier was born in Logansport, Ind., where his family owned the Bridge City Candy Co. He received a bachelor's degree in 1933 from Purdue University, a master's degree in 1935 from the University of Missouri and a doctorate in 1938 from the University of Arizona, where he was elected to the honor society Phi Kappa Phi.

He took a research position in 1939 at the U.S. Salinity Laboratory of the USDA in Riverside, Calif., after working briefly for Shell Oil. In 1945, he continued his research in soil fertility and metaphosphates at the Plant Industry Station of the USDA's Beltsville Agricultural Research Center.

Dr. Reitemeier was temporarily detailed to the Mutual Security Agency in 1953, moving with his family to Ankara, Turkey. As an adviser to the Ministry of Agriculture, he provided expertise for improving Turkish agriculture.

He was named a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1961 and was elected to membership in the New York Academy of Sciences and the Washington Academy of Sciences.

In retirement, he and his wife moved to Ojai and Ventura, Calif., before returning to the Washington area in 1981. After living in Foggy Bottom, the Reitemeiers resided at Leisure World in Silver Spring until 2002. They also spent part of the year in Dewey Beach, Del.

Survivors include his wife of 69 years, Dorothea Reitemeier of Salisbury; three daughters, Marguerite Kulka of Okemos, Mich., Diane Maddex of Bethany Beach, Del., and Karen Monaco of Dewey Beach; six grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Joseph M. Welsh

Ford Engineer

Joseph Milton Welsh, 80, who retired from Ford Motor Co. in the late 1980s as a field service engineer, serving as a troubleshooter for plants along the East Coast, died July 25 at his brother's country cottage in Cobb Island, Md. He had heart disease.

Mr. Welsh was born in Pleasantville, N.J., and raised in Takoma Park. He was a 1942 graduate of Montgomery Blair High School in Silver Spring.

He served in the Marine Corps from the early 1940s until the early 1950s, when he was a staff sergeant. He served in the South Pacific during World War II.

He began at Ford in the early 1950s. He maintained a home in Takoma Park until his death. He bought a home in Miami, which became his main residence in the late 1980s.

His avocations included fixing lawn mowers, cars and other machines and appliances. Early in his career, he raced cars professionally with his brother.

His wife of 44 years, June Marlin Welsh, died in 1993.

Survivors include five daughters, Joyce Gross and Janice Schofield, both of Silver Spring, Jeanne Maguire and Jody Welsh, both of Takoma Park, and Jessica Welsh of Miami; a brother, Preston Welsh of Chevy Chase; and eight grandchildren.

George S. Gunnulfsen

NASA Official

George Sjur Gunnulfsen, 85, a former NASA budget analyst, died July 21 of colon cancer at his home in Laurel.

Mr. Gunnulfsen worked at NASA headquarters in Washington from 1977 to 1988, helping prepare budgets for the space agency.

Before coming to the Washington area, he was an accountant for Stone & Webster, a nuclear power plant company in Boston. From 1960 to 1974, he was a contract specialist for Avco Corp., a defense contractor in Reading, Mass. From 1956 to 1960, he was an accountant for Sperry Corp. in Lawrence, Mass., a forerunner of Sperry Rand.

Mr. Gunnulfsen was born on a farm in Norway and immigrated to the United States as a child. He grew up in Brooklyn, N.Y. During World War II, he served four years in an Army engineering unit, building fuel pipelines in North Africa, Italy and the Philippines. He left the Army with the rank of sergeant.

After the war, he graduated from St. John's University in New York.

In Reading, he coached Little League baseball teams for a decade and helped raise money to build a heated enclosure for tennis courts at the local YMCA.

In Laurel, where he lived for 25 years, he was a volunteer for the Friends of Montpelier, a group dedicated to preserving Montpelier Mansion, an 18th-century mansion and estate.

Mr. Gunnulfsen enjoyed golf and once shot a hole in one at the Gunpowder Golf Club of Laurel.

His wife of 54 years, Beverly Roman Gunnulfsen, died in 2003.

Survivors include six children, Stephen Gunnulfsen of Laytonsville, Gary Gunnulfsen of Chesapeake Beach, Ellen Crum of Fredericksburg, Peter Gunnulfsen of Lowell, Mass., William Gunnulfsen of Germantown and Jeffrey Gunnulfsen of Silver Spring; eight grandchildren; and a sister.