John L. Hawley

Army Noncommissioned Officer

John L. Hawley, 79, a career noncommissioned officer in the Army, died of respiratory failure July 28 at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital in Fairfax.

Mr. Hawley, a native of Pomeroy, Ohio, enlisted in the Navy in 1943 and flew B-17, B-24 and B-29 aircraft in the Pacific theater. His aerial reconnaissance photography over heavily defended enemy territory prepared troops for the invasion of Iwo Jima and Okinawa, Japan. The work earned him a Distinguished Flying Cross.

After World War II, he worked as a plant supervisor in a Chrysler Airtemp plant in Dayton, Ohio, for several years and then reenlisted in the military. He joined the Army and saw tours of duty in Japan, France, Belgium, Korea and Vietnam. He was awarded numerous Air Medals and Army Commendation Medals and retired in 1974 as a sergeant first class.

Mr. Hawley lived in Falls Church since 1960.

His first wife, Hazel M. Hawley, died in 1980, and Thelma A. Hawley, his second wife, died in 2000.

Survivors include four sons from his first marriage, John L. Hawley Jr. of Sterling, Dennis E. Hawley of Oakton, Douglas Hawley of Sterling and Jeryl V. Hawley of Woodbridge; three stepchildren, Wayne Affeldt of Portland, Ore., Allen Affeldt of Charlottesville and Dawn Settle of Fredericksburg; and five grandchildren.

James Vance Holcombe

Defense Industry Official

James Vance Holcombe, 84, a retired Marine colonel and pilot who later was senior vice president of a major defense contractor, died July 26 of cancer at his home in Alexandria.

He came to the Washington area in 1967, when he was named vice president in charge of the Washington office of Northrop Corp. He was named senior vice president in 1978.

After retiring from Northrop in 1981, he became president of Energy Production Inc., in Gaithersburg, a company engaged in drilling and operating wells for oil and gas. He retired in 1989.

Before he entered private business, Col. Holcombe spent 21 years as an officer in the Marine Corps. After joining the Navy in 1942, he was assigned to the Marines as a fighter pilot and served in the Pacific. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal.

In the 1940s and 1950s, he flew fighter planes from aircraft carriers based in Morocco. He had additional postings to Norfolk, Albuquerque and Korea. In 1959, he was transferred to Allied command headquarters in Paris.

He retired from the Marines with the rank of lieutenant colonel in 1963, when he joined Northrop Corp. He spent four years as regional director in Paris before moving to Washington.

Col. Holcombe was born in Somerville, Tenn., and grew up in Memphis. He attended what was then Memphis State University and Rhodes College in Memphis before entering the military.

He enjoyed hunting and golf and was a member of the Congressional Country Club and the Burning Tree Club, both in Bethesda.

His first wife, Nancy Hughes Holcombe, died in 1989.

Survivors include his wife of 15 years, Debra Sharp Holcombe of Alexandria; and two children from his first marriage, Nancy H. Camm and James V. Holcombe Jr., both of Alexandria.

Albert Roberts

Howard University Department Head

Albert Roberts, 58, who had been the chairman of Howard University's Psychology Department since 1999, died July 22 at his home in Silver Spring after a heart attack.

Dr. Roberts joined the Howard faculty in 1971 and published research articles on identity development in minority children.

He taught courses in developmental psychology, general psychology and research methods.

At his death, he was the faculty adviser for the university's chapter of Psi Chi psychology honor society.

He was a Baltimore native and a 1967 summa cum laude graduate of what is now Coppin State University. He played on the basketball team and was a member of the drama club.

He received a master's degree and a doctorate in psychology from Emory University. He was one of the school's first black graduates with a doctorate in his discipline.

Survivors include his wife, Joyce Harris Roberts, whom he married in 1971, and two sons, Amani Roberts and Amiri Roberts, all of Silver Spring; a brother, William Roberts Jr. of Philadelphia; and six sisters, Geraldine Waters, Carolyn Roberts, Veris Lee, H. Jane Wood, Shirley Edwards and Alma Roberts, all of Baltimore.

Vivian Cummings Bowie

Former Legal Secretary

Vivian Cummings Bowie, 92, a West Virginian who moved to Washington as a single mother in 1946 and who lived in the city for nearly 30 years, died July 22 at The Seasons, an assisted-living facility in Lewisburg, W.Va., of complications from multiple strokes.

Mrs. Bowie was born in Scarbro, W.Va., and graduated from Jefferson High School in Roanoke in 1928. She attended business school in Roanoke, studying to be a legal secretary, and married at age 17 in 1929. She lived in Roanoke until her divorce in 1946.

She and her two small children moved to Washington that year, and in the post-World War II era of housing shortages lived in several rooming houses near Dupont Circle. In the spring of 1949, the family moved to Silver Spring, becoming original tenants in Sam Eig's Rock Creek Garden Apartments.

Mrs. Bowie worked for several attorneys in Roanoke and Washington, most notably for Washington attorneys Sigmund Timberg and Morton E. Yohalem from 1959 until 1974.

In 1974, Mrs. Bowie and her mother moved to Union, W.Va., to take up residence on a farm Mrs. Bowie had inherited from an aunt. She lived there for the next 30 years, where she tended a quarter-acre vegetable garden. As a vegetarian, she deigned the use of pesticides or animal traps. She also worked for a Lewisburg, W.Va., attorney from 1974 until she retired in 1977.

Mrs. Bowie's former husband, Allen Morris Bowie, died in 1977.

Survivors include a son, David Cummings Bowie of Vienna, and a daughter, Carol Bowie Magnuson of Los Angeles; four grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and a half-sister.