Grace Rich Simms

Former Fashion Model

Grace Rich Simms, 97, a Roaring Twenties fashion model in Richmond who later served as president of several health-related philanthropic organizations, died of a stroke July 28 at Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center in Arlington. She lived in Woodbridge.

Mrs. Simms, a descendant of both Robert E. Lee and Sam Houston, was born in her family's home, the McClellan Mansion, named after the Union general, George B. McClellan. He occupied the house, near Richmond, in the early years of the Civil War.

When her stepfather died, she went to work at Miller and Rhodes Department Store in Richmond to help support her eight younger siblings. She became a model for the store's French Collection, often appearing in newspaper ads. She then modeled at Stewart Department Store in Baltimore and served as a volunteer airplane spotter at Virginia Beach during World War II.

After marrying Dr. Reuben Foster Simms, she began working for the Richmond Academy of Medicine Auxiliary (RAMA) in 1952. She also served on RAMA's Civil Defense Committee, was president of the Virginia Academy of General Practitioners in 1964 and was president of RAMA in 1965.

She became president of the Medical Society of Virginia Auxiliary (MSVA) in 1970. She also served MSVA as philanthropic committee chairwoman, represented the society on President Richard M. Nixon's Women's White House Council and became a member of the MSVA board of directors.

The Grace Simms Philanthropic Award was established in her honor in 1969. It is given to the MSVA component auxiliary that makes the greatest monetary contribution to its local community and to health-related fields.

Her marriage to George Burroughs ended in divorce.

Dr. Simms, her second husband, died in 1983. A daughter from her first marriage, Joyce Burroughs Tompkins, died in 1998.

Survivors include two granddaughters, Susan Guzo of Arlington and Dianne van der Reyden of Woodbridge.

William Stephen Hartter

Library Assistant, Volunteer

William Stephen Hartter, 75, a retired Montgomery County library assistant who also was a musician and community volunteer, died July 30 at the Mariner Health of Bethesda nursing home. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Hartter retired in 1998 after about 15 years working for the Montgomery County library system, mainly at the Bethesda library and the Silver Spring-based Children's Bookmobile.

He was a charter member and acoustic bassist with the Folk Mass group at St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church in Washington. He also played with a group of friends in a band called the Wilde Mountain Thyme, which performed at churches and occasionally on public access cable programs.

As a volunteer, Mr. Hartter helped as an organizer of the Montgomery Special Olympics and served as a chaperone for athletes attending competitions at the state level. He volunteered as a guide at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall, giving more than 4,000 hours of service in the 1980s and 1990s.

In 1995 and 1997, he was named volunteer of the year by the National Park Service, which also awarded him a special plaque of appreciation after his advancing illness forced him to end his volunteer work in the late 1990s.

Mr. Hartter, a Bethesda resident, was a Detroit native. He came to Washington when he was assigned to Washington National Airport as a teletype operator while in the Air Force during the Korean War.

Survivors include his wife of 34 years, Marguerite Hartter of Bethesda. Their son, Benjie Hartter, died in 1976.

John F. Hilliard

Manpower Planning Authority

John Fred Hilliard, 92, a leading expert on manpower planning who retired from the U.S. Agency for International Development in 1973 as director of the office of education and human resources, died July 12 at the Avalon House group home facility in McLean. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Hilliard, a resident of Fairfax City, joined AID in 1963 after a career in academia, government service and foundation work.

He was a native of Rosebud, Tex., and a 1932 graduate of Texas A&M University.

After working with the U.S. Employment Service, he served briefly in 1943 as an official with the War Manpower Commission. He then was in the Army in Europe during World War II.

He taught personnel administration at Southern Methodist University from 1947 to 1949 and then became chief of program development at the Defense Manpower Administration in Washington.

From 1953 to 1958, he worked for the Office of Defense Mobilization and became assistant director for coordinating all federal manpower planning.

On leave in 1956 and 1957, he was a manpower adviser to the Indian government for the Ford Foundation. He joined the foundation full-time in 1958, and his duties took him worldwide to map out manpower needs for foreign governments.

He received the USAID Superior Honor Award.

He was a member of the Cosmos Club. He collected Roman glass artifacts and other antiquities.

His first wife, Dorothy Thompson Hilliard, died in 1990. A daughter from that marriage, Carolyn Hilliard, died in infancy in 1941.

Survivors include his wife of 12 years, Diane Dogan Hilliard of Fairfax City; a son from his first marriage, John M. "Jack" Hilliard of Cambridge, Mass.; and two grandsons.