Haven of Northern Virginia will hold the following free widow and widower bereavement support groups. For more information, call 703-941-7000 or visit www.havenofnova.org.
* 2-3:30 p.m. today, 7:30-9 p.m. Tuesday, Haven of Northern Virginia, 4606 Ravensworth Rd., Annandale.
* 2-3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Reston Community Center at Lake Anne, 1609-A Washington Plaza, Reston.
How to cope with arthritis, a free workshop for ages 55 and older. Physician Kathryn Thompson explains the causes of arthritis and offers tips on how to cope using diet, exercise and natural remedies, 1:30-3 p.m. Tuesday, Reston Community Center, 2310 Colts Neck Rd., Reston. For more information or to register, call Eileen Boone at 703-648-2835.
The following free programs are held at Life With Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Merrifield. Preregistration required. 703-698-2841.
* Children's educational support, an eight-week discussion and activity group for ages 5-12 to learn about cancer and find ways to manage the emotions and changes that come when someone in the family has cancer, 5:15-6:15 p.m. Wednesdays, Aug. 11-Sept. 29.
* Exploring anger, for cancer survivors and their loved ones to explore the effect of anger and how to express anger in healthy ways, 7:15-9 p.m. next Thursday.
Addictions recovery group, a 12-step Christ-centered regeneration and recovery group emphasizing mental, physical, spiritual and emotional recovery patterned after Alcoholics Anonymous, 7 p.m. Mondays, Vienna Seventh-day Adventist Church, 344 Courthouse Rd. SW, Vienna. For more information, call 703-938-8383.
Gay people and families support group, for parents, families and friends of lesbians and gays to discuss issues concerning coming out, 7:30 p.m. the first Tuesday of each month, Washington Plaza Baptist Church, Lake Anne Village Center, Reston; or 8 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month, Beverly Hills Community United Methodist Church, 3512 Old Dominion Blvd., Alexandria. For more information, call 301-439-3524 or visit www.pflag.org.
Hearts Apart deployment support group, for family members who have a service member or a civilian spouse deployed or serving away from home. The group meets monthly at Fort Belvoir. Dinner and child care are provided. For more information, call Rene Fizer at 703-805-3436.
The Epilepsy Foundation offers the following support groups for adults with seizure disorders and caregivers. For more information, call 703-425-6660.
* Northern Virginia epilepsy group, 7-8 p.m. Wednesdays, Falls Church High School, Room 100, 7521 Jaguar Trail, Falls Church.
* Reston epilepsy group, 7-8:30 p.m. the second Friday of each month, North County Government Center, meeting room, 12000 Bowman Towne Dr., Reston.
The following free groups are held at Life With Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Merrifield. Preregistration required. 703-698-2841.
* Melanoma group, 7-8:30 p.m. today.
* Thyroid cancer group, 10:30 a.m.-noon Saturday.
* GYN cancer group, update on ovarian cancer, 5:30-7 p.m. Wednesday.
* CanSurvive, a patient-led drop-in general cancer support group, noon-1:30 p.m. Thursdays.
-- Compiled by JEAN MACK
To Submit an Item
Mail: Health Notes, Fairfax Extra, The Washington Post, 4020 University Dr., Suite 220, Fairfax, Va. 22030
Details: Items, which are published weekly on a space-available basis, are accepted from public and nonprofit groups and must be received at least 14 days before the publication date. Include event name, dates, times, street address, cost and publishable contact phone number.