Farouk Hamdy

Veterinary Scientist

Farouk Hamdy, 67, a veterinary research scientist and Foreign Service administrator, died of a brain tumor Aug. 2 at his home in Silver Spring.

Dr. Hamdy was born in Tanta, Egypt. He received a doctorate in veterinary medicine from Cairo University in 1961, a master's degree in animal and veterinary science from the University of Massachusetts in 1971, a doctorate in microbiology from the University of Massachusetts in 1973 and a master's degree in public administration from Florida Atlantic University in 1995.

His first work in the United States was at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, where he was commended for isolating a virus in 1966.

Dr. Hamdy worked as a research scientist at the Plum Island (N.Y.) Animal Disease Research Center, part of the Agriculture Department's Agricultural Research Service. His work there was to study and help eradicate numerous exotic animal diseases.

He wrote or co-wrote more than 70 scientific publications on animal health and was a regular contributing author to the Merck Veterinary Manual.

His research included African swine fever, rinderpest, foot-and-mouth disease, pestes de petits ruminants, hog cholera, African horse sickness and avian leukosis.

Dr. Hamdy joined the Foreign Service in 1981 as a public administrator of the international service of the USDA's Animal Plant Health Inspection Services.

He was based in Washington and posted in Haiti, Mali, Mexico and Guatemala.

During his tenure in Guatemala, he worked as the regional director for Central America, Panama and the Caribbean.

Dr. Hamdy returned to the Washington area in early 1999 and retired as acting director of animal health programs in 2003.

The most recent award he received was for his contribution to the elimination of the outbreak of Newcastle disease in the western United States.

Dr. Hamdy was a member of the Muslim Community Center mosque of Silver Spring.

Survivors include his wife of 36 years, Mona Hamdy of Silver Spring; and three daughters, Dina and Sherine Hamdy, both of Silver Spring, and Rana Hamdy of Baltimore.

Marie Karle McCarthy

Curatorial Assistant

Marie Karle McCarthy, 74, a curatorial assistant at the Smithsonian Institution, died of breast cancer July 20 at the home of a daughter in Leesburg.

Mrs. McCarthy, a native of Boston, had lived in Vienna since 1971. She was at first a volunteer, then was hired by the Smithsonian's National Portrait Gallery.

Her specialty was 19th- and 20th-century French and American Impressionism, and she consulted with curators at major museums in the United States, France and Japan. She retired in 1997.

She also volunteered for more than 20 years at the Christ Child Opportunity Shop in Georgetown and was a former member of its board of directors. She graduated from Katherine Gibbs School in Boston in 1949 and did graduate studies in art history at Mount St. Joseph College in Cincinnati and at Ohio University.

Mrs. McCarthy had a lifelong passion for early Americana and antiques, and a scholarly interest in India. She was a member of Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church in Vienna.

Survivors include her husband of 49 years, Charles H. McCarthy of Vienna; three daughters, Christine McCarthy Myles of Chantilly, Erin McCarthy Myles of Chester County, Pa., and Karen McCarthy Jennings of Leesburg; two brothers; a sister; and five grandchildren.

Grace Irene Chason


Grace Irene Chason, 91, a retired weaver who worked at a Washington textile company for almost 50 years, died July 18 at Loudoun Hospital Center in Lansdowne. She had a blood clot to the lung.

For most of her life, she was a weaver. She started making cloth repairs for Washington Textile Group Inc. when she was 16 and retired in 1975.

Later, she did weaving jobs for dry cleaners on a freelance basis. She repaired tears in suits and dresses by taking fibers from the seams or hems and weaving them into the holes.

Grace Irene Barrett was born on a farm in the St. Barnabas area of Prince George's County. She attended school through the eighth grade.

As a child and young adult, she attended St. Barnabas Episcopal Church in Oxon Hill.

She was a member of the District Heights Seniors Club and the Funsters, a social club.

Her husband of 57 years, Angus Currie Chason, died in 1988. A son, Raymond Daniel Chason, who helped form Branch Electric Supply Co., died in 1983.

Survivors include a granddaughter.

Howard Bowers

Chief Petty Officer

Howard Bowers, 84, a retired Navy chief petty officer and a civilian maintenance worker for the Air Force Department, died of cancer July 28 at his home in Camp Springs.

Born in Newark, Mr. Bowers enlisted in the Navy in 1938. He was a chief petty officer aboard the battleship USS Tennessee the morning of Dec. 7, 1941, when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.

The Tennessee, wedged into Battleship Row inboard of the USS West Virginia and off the bow of the USS Arizona, was hit by two bombs, which disabled her second and third 14-inch gun turrets.

She was set afire in several places by burning debris when the Arizona exploded, and her hull plates were damaged by oil fires. Mr. Bowers helped extinguish the blazes.

Mr. Bowers remained in the Navy until 1958, then became a civilian hangar maintenance man at Andrews Air Force Base, a job he held until his retirement in the late 1970s.

His first wife, Betty Bowers, died in 1986. Their son, David Bowers, died in 1984.

Survivors include his wife, Valentine Bowers of Camp Springs; two stepsons, Robert J.C. Robey of Waldorf and Gary L. Robey of North Beach; two sisters; eight grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.