Delta Plane Returns to National

A Delta Air Lines shuttle en route to New York returned to Reagan National Airport shortly after takeoff yesterday when passengers reported a "smoky odor" in the cabin, according to an airline spokesman. The plane, a 150-seat Boeing 737 carrying 89 passengers, departed at 10:30 a.m. for La Guardia Airport and landed a few minutes later, Reid Davis said from Delta's Atlanta headquarters.

Passengers and crew were evacuated, and maintenance crews were investigating an electrical smell that might have originated in one of the plane's batteries, he said.

Some passengers "understandably were shaken up at how rapidly the plane returned to the airport," Davis said. Nineteen decided not to continue their trips yesterday, while 70 boarded subsequent shuttles, he said.

Museum Evacuated by Protest

The National Air and Space Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles International Airport was evacuated for about 90 minutes yesterday as security personnel removed more than 20 protesters who surrounded the Enola Gay exhibit, authorities said.

Museum officials contacted airport police about 12:30 p.m. to assist in controlling the protesters. Two were arrested by airport police and taken to the Fairfax County jail, an airports authority spokeswoman said.

The Enola Gay, a B-29 bomber, dropped the first atomic weapon used in combat on Hiroshima, Japan, on Aug. 6, 1945, helping to end World War II in the Pacific.


Police Find Pipe After Chase

A suspected crack cocaine pipe was found in the tractor-trailer driven by a man who led police on a 40-minute chase through the Baltimore area Thursday, ramming vehicles and injuring a state trooper, according to Maryland State Police.

The man, Cokie Joseph Gopshes, 32, of Baltimore, was ordered held without bail by an Anne Arundel County judge Friday, said Sgt. Graham Lange.

Cpl. Mark Bailey, a trooper injured during the chase, was treated at Maryland Shock Trauma Center and released. No one else was injured.

Woman, 33, Killed in Crash

A 33-year-old Hagerstown woman died yesterday after her car ran into the back of a tractor-trailer, Maryland State Police said.

Cpl. Jeff Kissner said Kelly Kennedy, who was northbound on Route 63 just north of Interstate 70 about 8:40 a.m.,failed to stop her 1993 Chevrolet Geo Tracker at a red light at French Lane. The car struck the rear of the truck, which was carrying refrigerated fruit.

She was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of the truck, a 34-year-old man from Yadkinville, N.C., was not injured, police said.

Two Fatally Shot in Pr. George's

A man was fatally shot in Oxon Hill on Friday, and another was shot and killed two hours later while washing his car in Hyattsville, according to Prince George's police.

Devon Method, 22, of the District was found about 5:15 p.m. by an unidentified off-duty police officer who heard shots outside a Tiger Mart in the 800 block of Southern Avenue. Method was pronounced dead at the scene.

About 7:30 p.m., Dalvris Ortiz, 26, was shot by an assailant during an argument while washing his car outside his home in the 8400 block of New Hampshire Avenue. Police said they know of no suspect in either incident.


Man Treated for Illness

Doctors are treating an 18-year-old Arlington man for a bacterial illness that can cause meningitis, state and local officials said yesterday.

Public health officials from Arlington and Fairfax counties and the state Health Department said they are trying to contact basketball players who participated in a "Hoop It Up" basketball tournament in which the man played last month.

The event was held July 28 and July 30 at High View Park in Arlington. Officials asked anyone on the High View Park, Langston-Brown and Baileys Crossroads teams who has not been contacted to call Arlington Public Health. Maryland officials are trying to contact a Prince George's County team.

Officials said the man was hospitalized Thursday. Symptoms of the infection include high fever, headaches, a stiff neck and nausea. However, Denise Sockwell, regional epidemiologist for the state Health Department, said there was little risk of the infection spreading because it does so through close contact, such as kissing or sharing utensils.

"How often do you get to fly a kite, have a picnic and not be drenched in sweat?"

-- Kevin Lucia, 33, of Washington, enjoying the weather while setting up a picnic on the Mall. -- Page C1

Compiled from reports by staff writers Bill Broadway, Jessica Valdez, Amit R. Paley, Martin Weil and Sarah Park and the Associated Press.