The following free programs will be held at Haven of Northern Virginia, 4606 Ravensworth Rd., Annandale. For more information, call 703-941-7000 or visit www.havenofnova.org.
* General bereavement support group, 7:30-9 p.m. Wednesday.
* Widow and widower bereavement support group, 2-3:30 p.m. next Thursday.
The following programs are offered at Life With Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Merrifield. Preregistration required. 703-698-2841.
* Good Grief for Children, an eight-week activities and art therapy group for those ages 5-12 to share their thoughts and feelings to help with the grief process, 5-6 p.m. Mondays, Aug. 16-Oct. 4.
* Good Grief dinner, for teens ages 13-18 who have lost a loved one to cancer, meet for dinner and share thoughts and feelings and learn about the grief process, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Caregivers meeting, a Life With Cancer group for family members to discuss coping strategies, support, information related to cancer, its treatment and more, 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Inova Fairfax Woman's Center, Radiation Oncology Conference Room, 3300 Gallows Rd., Falls Church. Preregistration required. 703-698-2841.
Couples workshop, communication and relationship exercises and support for couples when one partner is diagnosed with cancer, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday, Life With Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Merrifield. Preregistration required. 703-698-2841.
Look Good . . . Feel Better, a professional cosmetologist shares skin, hair and cosmetic tips to help you look your best before, during or after treatment, sponsored by the American Cancer Society, the Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association Foundation and the National Cosmetology Association, 6-7:30 p.m. Monday, Inova Alexandria Hospital, Cancer Center waiting room, 4320 Seminary Rd., Alexandria. Preregistration required. 703-698-2841.
Northern Virginia epilepsy group for adults diagnosed with seizure disorders and caregivers, sponsored by the Epilepsy Foundation of the Chesapeake Region, 7-8 p.m. Wednesdays, Falls Church High School, Room 100, 7521 Jaguar Trail, Falls Church. For more information, call 703-425-6660.
Breast-feeding mom's group, discussions on new-mom topics and concerns, resource information, baby weight check, refreshments, complimentary parking, 10:30 a.m.-noon Thursdays, Inova Fairfax Hospital Women's Center, 7 South Dayroom, 3300 Gallows Rd., Falls Church. $5 per session. For more information, call 703-204-6455.
The following groups are offered at Life With Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Merrifield. Preregistration required. 703-698-2841.
* Multiple myeloma group, 11:45 a.m.-1:15 p.m. Tuesday.
* Young adult group, for ages 18 to 30-something to discuss sexuality, dating, body image, work and health insurance concerns, treatment side effects, fears of recurrence and sustaining a normal lifestyle, 7:30-9 p.m. Tuesday.
* Lung cancer group, 5:30-7 p.m. Wednesday.
-- Compiled by JEAN MACK
To Submit an Item
Mail: Health Notes, Fairfax Extra, The Washington Post, 4020 University Dr., Suite 220, Fairfax, Va. 22030
Details: Items, which are published weekly on a space-available basis, are accepted from public and nonprofit groups and must be received at least 14 days before the publication date. Include event name, dates, times, street address, cost and publishable contact phone number.