George Hubert Hagn

Electrical Engineer

George Hubert Hagn, 68, a retired electrical engineer, died of respiratory failure Aug. 7 in the Woodbine Nursing Home and Rehabilitation Center in Alexandria. He had lived in Annandale since 1971.

Mr. Hagn was born in Houston and earned both a bachelor's and master's degree in electrical engineering from Stanford University.

He had a 40-year career with SRI International as an electrical engineer, before retiring in 1999. She spent the first 10 years in Menlo Park, Calif., and the last 30 years in Arlington.

After retirement, he founded Hagn Associates Ltd., a research and consulting firm based in Annandale. He had published articles and was known internationally for his contributions in the field of telecommunications.

His professional associations included being an Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. fellow since 1979 and a member of the International Union of Radio Science. He also was active in the Washington Academy of Sciences.

Throughout his life, he was involved in Scouting. He earned the rank of Eagle Scout as a youth and later volunteered with Annandale's Pack 150 and Troops 150 and 664.

Mr. Hagn also volunteered with the Annandale Christian Community for Action, the Appalachia Service Project and through his membership in Annandale United Methodist Church. He was a member of the Izaak Walton League, Trout Unlimited and the NORVA Rod and Gun club.

His wife of 30 years, Rose Meier Hagn, died in 1997.

Survivors include two children, Cheryl Hagn of Durham and David Hagn of Norfolk; and three grandchildren.

Gene Allen Hufford

Veterans Affairs Official

Gene Allen Hufford, 63, a longtime official with the Department of Veterans Affairs, died July 9 of lung cancer at Georgetown University Hospital. He lived in the District.

Mr. Hufford joined the department, when it was known as the Veterans Administration, in Indiana in 1972. He moved to Washington in 1973 as a member of the internal audit staff of what is now the Veterans Health Administration. In that position, he inspected veterans hospitals throughout the country.

He was later on the congressional liaison staff of the VA's under secretary for health. His final position, before retiring from Veterans Affairs in 2000, was as the under secretary's speechwriter.

Mr. Hufford was born in Connersville, Ind. He received a bachelor's degree in sociology and a master's degree in social work from Indiana University. Before joining the VA, he was a social worker at hospitals in Indiana.

He was interested in art, music and the theater, and he collected antiques. He also supported charitable causes, including the effort to preserve the Manassas Battlefield and programs providing therapeutic horseback riding for the disabled.

Survivors include a sister.

Nicholas Brango

Navy Captain

Nicholas Brango, 89, a retired Navy captain who chased enemy submarines, penetrated killer hurricanes and banished outdated computer files, died July 14 of cancer at Virginia Hospital Center-Arlington. He was a McLean resident.

Capt. Brango was born in Norristown, Pa., and graduated from Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pa. In 1940, he enlisted in the Naval Aviation Cadet program of the Naval Reserve. After the start of World War II, he transferred into the regular Navy and flew bombers and anti-submarine aircraft in the Atlantic, Caribbean and eastern Pacific.

After the war, he was an assistant training officer in Pensacola, Fla., and then received a master's degree in tropical meteorology from the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, Calif. Assigned to the Hurricane Reconnaissance Squadron in Miami, he moved up the rank to become its commanding officer. He flew into the eyes of more than 30 hurricanes during his three tours of duty there, and named the 1961 storm that ravaged the Texas coast, Hurricane Carla, for his daughter.

In 1958, Capt. Brango became executive officer of the seaplane tender Floyds Bay, which operated in the Formosa Straits and the South China Sea. He then worked as a liaison to Lockheed Corp. in Sunnyvale, Calif., in the Navy office responsible for the production of the Polaris missile. In the early 1960s, Capt. Brango moved to the North Atlantic, becoming chief staff officer to the commander of the airborne early warning wing in Newfoundland.

He developed a specialty in 1963 in computerized management information systems for personnel officers. Capt. Brango graduated from the Defense Department's Computer Institute and, as director of the manpower information division at the Bureau of Naval Personnel, directed his organization through a huge conversion to a new generation of technology. He also chaired a high-level task force to plan a better computer system for the Navy's personnel managers.

After two years in command of the Naval Air Station in Willow Grove, Pa., Capt. Brango joined the Honolulu staff of Adm. John S. McCain, the Commander in Chief Pacific, in 1969. He worked as head of the planning systems and analysis section from 1969 until his retirement from active duty in 1972.

In 1973, he was appointed executive director of the U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps in Arlington, a position he held until 1978.

Among his awards were the Legion of Merit and the Navy Distinguished Public Service Medal, the Navy's highest civilian award.

His wife of 51 years, Mary Rose Piacitelli Brango, died in 1993.

Survivors include two daughters, Carla B. Turner of Falls Church and Maryellen Whalen of McLean; a son, Nicholas Brango Jr. of Sterling; two granddaughters; and three great-grandchildren.