Blanche Theeman

Artist and Photographer

Blanche Theeman, 94, an artist and photographer who journeyed to Montana in the 1920s to paint portraits of members of the Blackfoot tribe, died of a heart attack Aug. 4 at Balfour Retirement Community in Boulder, Colo. A longtime Bethesda resident, she lived in the Washington area from 1942 to 2003.

Mrs. Theeman was born Blanche Claire Prager in New York City and attended Hunter College and the Woodstock School of Art. During World War II, she moved to Washington with her husband, who was a civilian employee with the Military Sea Transportation Service.

A freelance artist who specialized in portraiture, she accompanied her mentor, the German-born painter Winold Reiss, to Glacier National Park in 1927. Reiss had developed a fascination with folk groups as a young man in his native country. After moving to New York City in 1913, he specialized in "ethnic" portraiture -- residents of Harlem, Native Americans out West and, during a trip to Mexico, peasant workers and Zapatista revolutionaries.

The Blackfeet adopted Reiss and his protegee, Mrs. Theeman, as an expression of gratitude for their work. Mrs. Theeman was given the name Wolf Woman in honor of a tribal elder who had lived a long life.

In the decades after World War II, while rearing two children, she worked as a freelance graphic artist, designing brochures, pamphlets and other printed materials for many Washington area organizations. She also did portrait photography out of her Bethesda home.

In the early 1960s, Mrs. Theeman and Judith Frosh, also of Bethesda, founded Mimes and Masques Theatre for Youth, a nonprofit organization that brought theater and dance to inner-city schools. The organization later became a program of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.

Mrs. Theeman was a volunteer for numerous organizations, primarily those dealing with children. She was a volunteer for Phone Friend of the D.C. Hotline and for Creative Artistry in Teaching, which tutors young readers in D.C. schools. During President Bill Clinton's administration, she became the main reader of mail that children sent to first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton. It was Mrs. Theeman's task to determine how best to respond to the thousands of letters.

Her husband, Benjamin A. Theeman, an administrative law judge for the National Labor Relations Board, died in 1988.

Survivors include her daughters Marge Theeman of Boulder and Nancy Theeman of Dobbs Ferry, N.Y.; and three grandchildren.

Dominick Vito Pisciotta

Procurement Chief, Coach

Dominick Vito Pisciotta, 69, retired head of procurement at Vitro Laboratories in Silver Spring, died of septicemia Aug. 4 at Carteret General Hospital in Morehead City, N.C., while vacationing.

Mr. Pisciotta, the son of two Sicilian immigrants, was a native Washingtonian and graduated from Bell Vocational High School. He attended the University of Virginia before serving in the Army. He was stationed in Japan, where he pitched for the Army baseball team and coached the Army's boxing team.

From an early age, he worked at People's Hardware store, at first breaking down boxes, then stocking shelves and eventually managing a store. He went to work for Vitro after his military service, and rose from directing the stockroom to becoming department head of procurement. He retired in 1986.

Mr. Pisciotta coached many baseball and football teams in the area and served as president of the Montgomery County Umpire Association. He was one of the founders of the Braddock Road Youth Boys Club and served two years as its president. He belonged to the Leisure Lawn Bowl Association and the Vantage East Poker Club. He enjoyed cooking, family gatherings, hunting and fishing and was a longtime fan of the Baltimore Orioles and the Washington Redskins.

He was a member of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Silver Spring.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Sandra Rohan Pisciotta of Silver Spring; a son, Dominick J. Pisciotta of Fairfax Station; two daughters, Kathleen Pisciotta Richardson of Silver Spring and Pamela Pisciotta Munoz of Beaufort, N.C.; and nine grandchildren.

Florence Deist


Florence Mead Deist, 85, a former volunteer as a stringer for the Alexandria Gazette-Packet newspaper and as a scheduler and supervisor for the American Red Cross, died July 28. She had a brain tumor.

She died at the health care center at the Hermitage of Northern Virginia retirement home in Alexandria, where she lived since settling in the area in 1986.

For eight years until 1996, she wrote a weekly column about events and activities at the Hermitage for the Alexandria paper.

She also contributed to newsletters at the Hermitage.

She was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and raised on Philadelphia's Main Line. She was a 1940 home economics graduate of Hood College in Frederick.

She later worked in New Jersey as a hospital dietician and business office supervisor at New Jersey Bell Telephone Co.

Her hobbies included swimming.

Her husband of 36 years, Benjamin Deist, died in 1977.

Survivors include three children, Linda D. Stanley of Reston, Barbara K. Boccuto of Poughkeepsie, N.Y., and Peter B. Deist of Dayton, Ohio; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Nicholas S. Rosov

NIST Research Physicist

Nicholas Stephen Rosov, 44, a research physicist at the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Gaithersburg, died Aug. 8 at Washington Hospital Center. He had a brain tumor.

Dr. Rosov, a Rockville resident, worked at NIST since 1990. He was a condensed matter physicist and focused his research on the study of magnetic materials. He developed a high resolution neutron spin echo spectrometer, used to study magnetic materials, biomembranes, polymers and complex fluids.

He was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., and a graduate of Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia, where he also received a master's degree in physics. He received a doctorate in physics from Clark University in Massachusetts.

In July 2003, he was ordained a deacon in the Melkite Greek-Catholic Church. He was a member of the Holy Transfiguration Melkite Greek-Catholic Church in McLean.

Survivors include his wife, Alicia Lee Rosov, whom he married in 1992, and two sons, Nathaniel Rosov and Stephen Rosov, all of Rockville; his parents, Robert and Jeanne Rosov of Wichita; two sisters, Suzy Rosov of Dallas and Johanna Rosov of Wichita; and a brother, Matthew Rosov of Laurel.

Bernard Francis Peacock


Bernard Francis Peacock, 78, a Washington native and longtime local surgeon, died Aug. 6 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He had Parkinson's disease.

Dr. Peacock had a private practice in Marlow Heights from 1954 to 1988 and was also on the surgical staffs of several local hospitals. From 1954 to 1970, he was at Providence Hospital, where he was the chief resident of surgery.

He was chief of surgery at the old Cafritz Hospital, now Greater Southeast Community Hospital, from its opening in 1966 until 1980. From 1980 to 1988, when he retired, he was a general surgeon at Southern Maryland Hospital Center in Clinton.

Dr. Peacock was born in the District and graduated from Gonzaga College High School. While still in high school, he enlisted in the Navy during World War II. He graduated from Holy Cross College in Massachusetts and, in 1950, from Georgetown University medical school. He served as a medical officer in the Navy until 1954, leaving with the rank of lieutenant junior grade.

He was a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a member of the American Medical Association.

Dr. Peacock lived in Fort Washington for many years before moving to Alexandria four years ago. He was a member of St. Mary's Piscataway Catholic Church in Piscataway Hills.

Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Mary Lou Cady Peacock of Alexandria; six children, Maureen Brazier of Vancouver, B.C., Joani Peacock of Alexandria, Clare Peacock of West Springfield, Timothy Peacock of Annandale, Bernard J. Peacock of Fairfax County and Joseph Peacock of Washington; a brother; and six grandchildren.

Elizabeth Davis Hayes

National Archives Editor

Elizabeth Davis Hayes, 93, a former editor with the National Archives, died of complications from Alzheimer's disease Aug. 9 in Inova Fairfax Hospital. A resident of the Washington area since the mid-1930s, she had lived in the District, in Arlington and in Vienna before becoming a resident of The Fountains at Washington House in Alexandria in 1974.

Mrs. Hayes was born in Tampico, Mexico, to American parents. Her father was a paymaster for an American oil company drilling in Mexico, but the family had to flee the country because of the ongoing revolution. Mrs. Hayes was 3 when the family moved to Alabama, first to a farm near the small town of Trinity and then to Decatur in 1920, where she grew up. She was 19 when she graduated from Athens College in Athens, Ala., with a degree in English.

Mrs. Hayes taught third grade in Decatur for five years before moving to the District in 1935 to work for the forerunner of the Office of Management and Budget. She moved to Arlington in 1942.

She began working at the National Archives in 1948 as an editor, eventually becoming director of the Code Branch of the U.S. Statutes at Large. Now a function of the Federal Register, the Code Branch edited laws after they were signed by the White House and organized them into bound volumes called statutes at large. Mrs. Hayes also edited the U.S. Annotated Code. She retired in 1971.

She was a member and former president of the Methodist Wesleyan Service Guild, as well as a charter member of the Arlington Temple United Methodist Church, where she was active in church affairs.

Mrs. Hayes's first husband, Charles L. Sherman, died in 1938. Her second husband, Charles Hayes, whom she married in 1942, died in 1985.

Survivors include a daughter from the first marriage, Celia A. Kramer of Potomac, and a daughter from the second marriage, Catherine H. Swick of The Woodlands, Tex.; five grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and a sister.