Linda Weiner

Washington Teacher

Linda Azarch Weiner, 46, a Washington area teacher most recently affiliated with Sidwell Friends School, where she taught sixth grade until stepping down in April, died Aug. 3 at Johns Hopkins University Hospital in Baltimore. She had leukemia.

Mrs. Weiner, a Bethesda resident, was born in Columbus, Miss., and raised in Hattiesburg, Miss. She received a bachelor's and a master's degree in education from American University.

In the early and mid-1980s, she taught at the old Immaculata Dunblane School in Washington and at Mantua Elementary School in Fairfax County.

She later taught briefly in Westchester County, N.Y., Montgomery County and Atlanta before resettling in the Washington area in the mid-1990s. She joined Sidwell Friends in 1997 and received a school award for teaching excellence this year.

Among her teaching techniques was her "Toastmasters" class to encourage public speaking.

She was found to have breast cancer in 1999. After recovering, she did volunteer work for Sibley Memorial Hospital's breast cancer center and participated in the Susan G. Komen Foundation Race for the Cure and the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.

She was also involved with Martha's Table, which distributes meals to the District's low-income and homeless.

She was a board member of Myra Sadker Advocates, an organization that promotes gender equity in school classrooms. She was a member of Washington Hebrew Congregation.

Her avocations included making jewelry, rollerblading and playing poker.

Survivors include her husband of 22 years, Lee Weiner, and their two children, Lisa Weiner and Max Weiner, all of Bethesda; and two brothers.

Cameron William McNeill

Canadian Air Force Colonel

Cameron William McNeill, 86, a retired colonel in the Royal Canadian Air Force, died of heart disease July 28 at the Georgetown Residence in Washington, where he lived.

Col. McNeill was a native of Chesley, Ontario, and began flying planes as a teenager. He enlisted in the Royal Air Force in England before World War II and found himself flying the first aircraft on a combat operation of the war. It was Sept. 3, 1939, and he was piloting his Avro Anson on reconnaissance over the German port of Bremerhaven when his radio operator reported a message that war had been declared. Col. McNeill immediately ordered guns to be armed and started searching for German fighters.

He flew bombers for more than 100 missions. He was one of only two of his original flight wing of 200 pilots to survive the war.

Among his awards were the Atlantic and Pacific Stars, the Coronation Medal and the Canadian Forces Decoration and First Clasp.

In 1944, he transferred to the RCAF, where he served for 30 years. He helped set up the North American Air Defense Command and was an air attache in the Canadian Embassy in Washington.

After retiring from the military, Col. McNeill served for 14 years on the staff of the National Academy of Sciences in Washington.

He was a fitness enthusiast and enjoyed jogging, bicycling and golfing.

His marriage to Vaynor McNeill ended in divorce.

Survivors include his companion of more than 30 years, Eileen Hammond of Washington; and a son, Robin McNeill of Ottawa.

Curtis T. Youngblood

Navy Captain

Curtis T. Youngblood, 96, a retired Navy captain and organization executive, died after a heart attack Aug. 9 at his home in Arlington.

Capt. Youngblood, a native of Ben Lomond, Ark., graduated from the University of Arkansas with a major in business administration and in 1935 from the University of Arkansas's law school. He entered the practice of law in Little Rock in 1935 and moved to Washington in 1937 to work as an attorney for the Social Security Board.

In 1940, he was commissioned a lieutenant junior grade in the Naval Reserve and was ordered to active duty in April 1941. During World War II, he was commissioned into the Navy and served in the United States and overseas.

While on the staff of the commander of naval forces in Europe in 1956, Capt. Youngblood was assigned as the Navy's legal adviser to Secretary of State John Foster Dulles at the International Conference in London on the Suez Canal conflict. He served on the staff of the Bikini atomic bomb expedition and as special assistant to Secretary of the Navy John L. Sullivan.

In 1959, he went to Panama and later to Seattle and London. His last assignment before retiring in 1966 was as assistant Navy inspector general, director of special investigations worldwide.

Capt. Youngblood for the next 16 years was executive director and counsel for the Society for Technical Communication, an international educational organization based in Arlington. Upon his retirement, he was made an honorary fellow.

Capt. Youngblood was a member of the Army Navy Country Club and St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, where he was a vestryman and senior warden.

Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Rubye Youngblood of Arlington; a daughter, Jane Spurling of St. George's, Bermuda; and three grandchildren.

Stanley S. Xenakis

Air Force Lieutenant Colonel

Stanley S. Xenakis, 83, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel, died Aug. 8 of a cerebral hemorrhage at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington. He lived in Rockville.

Col. Xenakis was born in Clarksburg, W.Va. After graduating from high school in 1939, he enlisted in the Army. He rose to the rank of first sergeant in the Ordinance Corps in 1943 and then was commissioned in the Army Air Corps, where he trained to be a bombardier-navigator while stationed in Montgomery, Ala.

He was recalled to active duty in the Air Force in 1951 and flew more than 50 combat missions in Korea and multiple support missions in Vietnam. He retired from the Air Force in 1968.

His awards include the Distinguished Flying Cross in the Korean War.

Col. Xenakis received a bachelor's degree from Mississippi Southern College in 1961.

His wife, Alexandria Xenakis, died in 1987.

Survivors include his companion, Geraldyn Siegel of Washington; two children, retired Army Brig. Gen. Stephen N. Xenakis of Arlington and Valli X. Kirimlis of Rockville; two brothers; two sisters; and four grandchildren.